Metz 44 af-1 good for OMD EM-5?

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions
ShelleyD
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?
Metz 44 af-1 good for OMD EM-5?
Aug 24, 2012

Trying to choose a suitable flash for my OMD.

Is the Metz 44 AF-1 a good choice? What advantages / disadvantages as compared to the FL-600?

I would like to use off camera and eventually have more than one flash.

Any thoughts?

ShelleyD
Like?
Re: Metz 44 af-1 good for OMD EM-5?
In reply to ShelleyD, Aug 24, 2012

Reading up on some of the flashes, am I right in thinking you always need to use the little on board flash to trigger other flashes? Can the 36R, 600 or any of the Metz flashes sit in the hotshoe and trigger the other off camera flashes with TTL?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonardo
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
In reply to ShelleyD, Aug 24, 2012

Yes, it is a great flash, fairly compact but a little bit bigger than the Olympus 600. Just got it a few days ago and so far in TTL mode it works well with the OMB. As to triggering remote flashes using the Olympus protocol, have no concrete experience, since I have no other Olympus flashes. But the manual for the Metz 44 states that it has that capacity.
--
Leonardo

Leonardo's gear list:Leonardo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
ShelleyD
Like?
In reply to Leonardo, Aug 24, 2012

Thanks, Leonardo.

What made you decide to go for that lens over the 600?

dnercesian
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
In reply to ShelleyD, Aug 25, 2012

Does this Metz flash have a sync port?

Y_VDM
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?

The mini flash is not needed to trigger other slaves as "master". Olympus flashes are able to do that, as they are defined as "master" and plugged on the camera. However about the Metz, you will have to check if it is able to work as "master", not sure about the feature and accuracy.
--
Yves VDM -------------------------------
------- http://www.virtualgallery.be

ShelleyD
Like?
In reply to Y_VDM, Aug 25, 2012

Just trying to understand this...

When the Oly 600 is mounted on hotshoe as master, does it still contribue to the shot? I read somewhere that it only triggers other flashes but won't fire itself.

Hope that's not true!

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Like?
The Metz 48 AF-1 works fine

ShelleyD wrote:

Trying to choose a suitable flash for my OMD.

Is the Metz 44 AF-1 a good choice? What advantages / disadvantages as compared to the FL-600?

Looks to be similar to the 48 AF-1 that I have. This seems to work fine on the E-M5.

(Well, mine has a fault where it stops working after a few minutes. This is unique to mine and may be related to having bounced the flash off a concrete floor shortly after getting it.)

I would like to use off camera and eventually have more than one flash.

Any thoughts?

It should work fine.

My suggestion would be to download the manual from the Metz website -- http://www.metz.de//en/service-support/instruction-manuals/flash-units/mecablitz.html -- and check for any likely issues for your usage.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 4,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonardo, Aug 25, 2012

It's a basic TTL flash, but the wireless protocol does not work fully and high-speed synch is not provided. Compact, nice looking, easy to use (fewer functions make easier user interfaces). Metz 50 has additional features, on top of being more powerful.

ShelleyD
Like?
In reply to tt321, Aug 25, 2012

Can the Metz 50 act as master in the hotshoe?

Still wondering about Oly 600's ability to act as master and contribute to the shot when mounted.

Leonardo
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
In reply to dnercesian, Aug 25, 2012

Metz 44 flash has no sync port
--
Leonardo

Leonardo's gear list:Leonardo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Yehuda_
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
In reply to tt321, Mar 29, 2013

tt321 wrote:

It's a basic TTL flash, but the wireless protocol does not work fully and high-speed synch is not provided. Compact, nice looking, easy to use (fewer functions make easier user interfaces). Metz 50 has additional features, on top of being more powerful.

I'm not sure what you mean by wireless protocol not working fully.

Here's my experience with this flash -

If I use the clip-on flash that came with the EM5 as a trigger than wireless works perfectly in TTL mode - I changed the flash compensation settings from -3 to +3 and it 100% changes the exposure as expected.

I also own the Metz 50 and it works fine as well. The 50 has High-Speed-Sync support (the 44 doesn't) and the flash foot is plastic in the 44 vs. metal in the 50.

What I love about the 44 is it's simplicity; It has 5 buttons only:

on/off

ttl

wireless

manual

test

The 44 is the easiest most fun flash I ever used. I almost always have flash compensation on +1.3 from the EM5 menu and bounce away indoors.

When I had a Nikon D7000 I used the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900 and SB-400, Metz 58 AF-2 (I owned the 58 AF-2 and the SB-400) and also 2 manual flashes: Yongnuo 560-II and 460-II.

With the Olympus EM5 I used the Metz 50, 44 and both Yongnuo manual flashes.

The 44 is not so well known or reviewed but aside from a tendency to underexpose (setting +1.3 fixes this quite well and was tested for different locations by me, different ceiling height etc.) it's a real fun flash and I think it deserves a much higher praise than it has.

It also goes to sleep when you switch off the camera and turns back on automatically when the camera is turned back on.

I'm not sure the difference in flash output between the 44 or 50 makes any real difference. You don't want the flash to use full power in most cases anyway (the light spread is such that full power from a relatively small light source even when bounced off a ceiling doesn't spread evenly well and reflects too strong on shiny materials, full power = higher wear and tear, longer recycle time).

Yehuda_'s gear list:Yehuda_'s gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +1 more
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to ShelleyD, Mar 29, 2013

ShelleyD wrote:

Just trying to understand this...

When the Oly 600 is mounted on hotshoe as master, does it still contribue to the shot? I read somewhere that it only triggers other flashes but won't fire itself.

Hope that's not true!

Not sure if this was answered(I didn't see anyone quote it, but didn't fully read the last couple posts as they seem to be on other stuff) but yes, it can contribute. Even the kit flash can, it's a setting on the camera to choose whether it's on or only a trigger.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +12 more
Sam Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
For others who find this thread...
In reply to ShelleyD, 10 months ago

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to add a few things here about the 44 AF-1 and the Oly system in general:

1. The Metz 44 AF-1 can act as a slave using all of Oly's features, except High Speed Sync. TTL or Manual controlled from the camera.
  2. The Metz cannot act as a Master, so if you buy only one Flash, you may not want to start with this one because...
  3. The E-M5/E-M1 clip on flash is a total joke. It refreshes so slowly (2-3 seconds) that using it for something as simple as family portraits can be painful. Having an Oly flash that can act like a master would be a good thing to invest in, and the FL-600R is pretty nice (and small).
  4. As others say, the master flash (clip on other otherwise) can contribute to the exposure and indeed in some cases it's impossible for it to not contribute! You have to be very careful how close you are to your subject even when using this technique or you may get unexpected results.
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads