How do you use your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II?

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions
omne
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
How do you use your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II?
Aug 23, 2012

I'm going to get this lens for a crop body for portrait photography. it seems very interesting to me to have such a fast lens at that price.

I would like to know how do you use your 50/1.8 on a crop camera?

The focus ring is positioned at the front edge of the lens and is very narrow, does it makes it hard to focus manually?

I would also like to see some good quality samples with this lens.

Marco HG
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: How do you use your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II?
In reply to omne, Aug 23, 2012

omne wrote:

I'm going to get this lens for a crop body for portrait photography. it seems very interesting to me to have such a fast lens at that price.

Hi there!

I should start by saying I'm VERY far from being a pro But I agree, it's a very nice lens with great quality for the price. I've being using it for quite some time now, but unfortunately I've dropped it to the ground and, even if it still works, it seems it's having problems focusing, so I guess I'll have to buy another one (or maybe the 1.4 :D).

The focus ring is positioned at the front edge of the lens and is very narrow, does it makes it hard to focus manually?

I have never used manual focus that much with any lens, so I'm not particularly used to it, but I found focusing manually VERY hard with this lens. The focus ring is, in fact, pretty "unconfortable" to use, and it has a very short stroke (is that how you say it? I mean there's no much space between the two extremes, forgive my bad english); also, it is not perfectly fluid. And if you use it at f1.8, the DOF is so short that I ended up with out of focus subject even with small mistakes.

I used it on a Canon Rebel Xti, I now own a 60D so maybe it would be easier with LiveView and 10x magnification; haven't tried it yet, though.

I use it on AF 95% of the times (when light allows, at least); I found that it gives best results at about f2.8.

I would also like to see some good quality samples with this lens.

I haven't taken pics particularly worth showing, but my favourite is this one:

Have fun with the new toy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco HG, Aug 23, 2012

Yes, the focus ring is garbage, but it works and you'll get fantastic shots. It's the perfect length for crop sensors at effective 80mm.

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
omne
Like?
In reply to facedodge, Aug 23, 2012

Thank you both for your comments, could you please also take a look at my other thread, it seems choosing the lenses is getting harder and harder... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&message=42322891

scrane
Contributing MemberPosts: 975
Like?
In reply to omne, Aug 23, 2012

There is nothing wrong with the 50/1.8 as a first lens. It is sharp and a good match for a beginner. Initial cost is low.

People have been buying 50mm as a starter lens for SLRs for decades. Although that 50mm will translate to a 75mm effective focal length it is still a good lens to learn the fundamentals of photography.

People can recommend hundreds of lenses for you, but only you can really determine over time where your specific photo interests lie. Once you shoot with the 50mm for a while you'll have a better idea where you want to go from there.

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk 1
In reply to scrane, Aug 23, 2012

Try to purchase a used Canon 50mm f1.8 mk 1 lens (it can only be purchased used). Its a much better lens than the newer one. It will take you a bit longer to find one and purchase it but its worth it. The older lens will also cost more, most likely.

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Reviews/g_Fifty_versus_fifty/a_Fifties_duel_--_f1.4_vs_f1.8.html

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

omne
Like?

scrane wrote:

People can recommend hundreds of lenses for you, but only you can really determine over time where your specific photo interests lie. Once you shoot with the 50mm for a while you'll have a better idea where you want to go from there.

Thanks for the advice.

rsn48 wrote:

Try to purchase a used Canon 50mm f1.8 mk 1 lens (it can only be purchased used). Its a much better lens than the newer one. It will take you a bit longer to find one and purchase it but its worth it. The older lens will also cost more, most likely.

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Reviews/g_Fifty_versus_fifty/a_Fifties_duel_--_f1.4_vs_f1.8.html

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

That's probably a good idea, as you said the old version looks so much better, specially the focus ring.

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

80mm, not 75. We're talking Canon here.

scrane wrote:

50mm will translate to a 75mm effective focal length

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
scrane
Contributing MemberPosts: 975
Like?
In reply to EvokeEmotion, Aug 24, 2012

EvokeEmotion wrote:
80mm, not 75. We're talking Canon here.

scrane wrote:

50mm will translate to a 75mm effective focal length

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,667
Like?
In reply to omne, Aug 24, 2012

omne wrote:

I used to use it at F1.8, but countless OOF pictures really put me off. OVF is designed to increase DOF so you can not tell if the picture is OOF through OVF. often you will only find out after you open them up in computer. Besides that, I never found 50 F1.8 to be sharp enough at F1.8 even when it focuses correctly.

These days I only use it at F2.8 onwards, mostly F4 to F5.6 that is where it is the sharpest and slight OOF is hidden by larger DOF.

curradob
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Aug 24, 2012

I've had the 50 f/1.8 for quite a while and just "upgraded" to the 50 mm f/1.4

Here's a sample from the 50 f/1.8

-- hide signature --

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy. MLK

curradob's gear list:curradob's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
Bernard D
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?

I should start that it's a lens worth buying.

BUT, I purchased the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II XR LD IF ASL Lens in December 2010, and I basically never used the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II since.

Why ? Because I can't get focus with it half the time, it's a random thing for this lens, where my Tamron is more precise, all the time, and as sharp at 2.8+.

Bernard

-- hide signature --

I measure my success in life not by my awards, but by the amount of smiles, hugs and kisses I get from my family on a daily basis !

englishman
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
In reply to Bernard D, Aug 24, 2012

It's a great lens if you get a copy that's well calibrated with your body.

Doug MacMillan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,800Gear list
Like?
Lovely photo!
In reply to Marco HG, Aug 24, 2012

Wonderful expressions on both! You are justly proud of that photo!

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
scruffie0
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to Bernard D, Aug 24, 2012

I found the same thing when I first got this lens (a lot of pictures were slightly out of focus) I discovered that because it has a very shallow depth of field if you set it to A1 servo 100% of your pictures will be sharp.

Marco HG
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: Lovely photo!
In reply to Doug MacMillan, Aug 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words Doug

Gautam Majumdar
Forum ProPosts: 13,193
Like?

Good for flower photography as well

-- hide signature --

Gautam

omne
Like?
In reply to Bernard D, Aug 25, 2012

Thank you all for your advices and photo samples.

Bernard D wrote:

I should start that it's a lens worth buying.

BUT, I purchased the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II XR LD IF ASL Lens in December 2010, and I basically never used the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II since.

That Tamron also seems to be a good choice for me in addition with EF50/1.8

Could you please take a look at my question here regarding Tamron 17-50:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1043&message=42339104

englishman wrote:

It's a great lens if you get a copy that's well calibrated with your body.

What do you mean? does it have good and bad? how can I tell?

itsDing
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?
In reply to scruffie0, Aug 26, 2012

For SCRUFF. How does A1 servo make the pictures sharper than the other settings? l may have a good copy but see no difference.

alex2b
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
In reply to englishman, Aug 26, 2012

Those are great photos. Particularly the second one and the last one. It shows that it is not about the gear (although a DSLR definitely helps to catch the exact moment), but mostly about the photographer.

Well done!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads