Lightroom 4.1 Lens Correction

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
skpman
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
Lightroom 4.1 Lens Correction
Aug 22, 2012

I just got Adobe LR4.1 yesterday and was trying to do the lens correction in the Development tab and there's no Olympus or Panasonic in the pull-down menu.
I have the panny 20mm pancake and the olympus 12-50mm.

Where can I find the lens profiles for these? And is there a camera correction I can do for the GX1 too? (fairly new to photography).

Thank you sirs (and ma'ams)!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,852Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 4.1 Lens Correction
In reply to skpman, Aug 22, 2012

skpman wrote:

I just got Adobe LR4.1 yesterday and was trying to do the lens correction in the Development tab and there's no Olympus or Panasonic in the pull-down menu.

Where can I find the lens profiles for these? And is there a camera correction I can do for the GX1 too? (fairly new to photography).

Adobe applies the lens corrections internally as the files are opened in ACR, just like Olympus and Panasonic do when processing in-camera JPEG's so, in theory, no corrections should be necessary and for that reason you will not find lens profiles for most all micro four-thirds lenses in ACR.

The reality is, the coded corrections do not correct all of the lenses 100% and some of the lenses need more additional corrections than others, but Adobe has not created profiles to do that. The way I work around it is to process the files in ACR, open them in Photoshop and use the plugin PTLens, which does have profiles for all the micro lenses.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skpman
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Aug 22, 2012

Good information... thank you sir!

Gregm61 wrote:

skpman wrote:

Adobe applies the lens corrections internally as the files are opened in ACR, just like Olympus and Panasonic do when processing in-camera JPEG's so, in theory, no corrections should be necessary and for that reason you will not find lens profiles for most all micro four-thirds lenses in ACR.

The reality is, the coded corrections do not correct all of the lenses 100% and some of the lenses need more additional corrections than others, but Adobe has not created profiles to do that. The way I work around it is to process the files in ACR, open them in Photoshop and use the plugin PTLens, which does have profiles for all the micro lenses.

-- hide signature --

RadarK
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Aug 22, 2012

After you perform the lens corrections in photoshop, in what format do you save the file? Not used to using both programs (LR and PS) at the same time. Do you open the file as a smart object?
--
RadarK

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,852Gear list
Like?
In reply to RadarK, Aug 22, 2012

RadarK wrote:

After you perform the lens corrections in photoshop, in what format do you save the file? Not used to using both programs (LR and PS) at the same time. Do you open the file as a smart object?

Photoshop and Lightroom handle this differently.

When you export (save) the file in Lightroom and have it open in Photoshop (you can "tell" Lightroom to automatically open the processed file in Photoshop on export), Lightroom physically saves the file, so you've got an already saved file in Photoshop to apply the PTLens profile. You then have to resave the file a second time to keep the applied PTLens profile.

When you use ACR in Photoshop CS6 and choose the "open file" option in ACR, a file opens in CS6, but it has not yet been saved. If you just close the file without saving it, you have no JPEG, but the original profile has been applied in ACR, so you simply open the file in PTLens, apply the JPEG profile, then save the file in Photoshop.

PTLens have two profiles for each lens, a "JPEG" and "raw" profile. You use the raw profile if you used a program like RAW Therapee to process the file since RT does not apply any lens corrections. If you use Lightroom or Photoshop CS6 to process the raw file, you use the JPEG profile since Adobe has already applied the original coded corrections.

-- hide signature --

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,096Gear list
Like?
Profile downloads
In reply to skpman, Aug 22, 2012

skpman wrote:

You should get the Lens Profile downloader at the bottom of this page: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html

When you run it, the Camera Make menu has Olympus in it, but there are no profiles. Instead, click in that field and type

OLYMPUS IMAGING

That will load the available profiles. There are profiles for the 20mm, but not the micro 12-50. You can also download the profile creator from the same web page and try to make your own profile.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
Re: Profile downloads
In reply to Vlad S, Aug 23, 2012

Nevermind; I figured it out.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
skpman
Like?
In reply to Vlad S, Aug 23, 2012

So this is the secret... will definitely try it as soon as I get home. thank you sir!

Vlad S wrote:

skpman wrote:

You should get the Lens Profile downloader at the bottom of this page: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html

When you run it, the Camera Make menu has Olympus in it, but there are no profiles. Instead, click in that field and type

OLYMPUS IMAGING

That will load the available profiles. There are profiles for the 20mm, but not the micro 12-50. You can also download the profile creator from the same web page and try to make your own profile.

Vlad

3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vlad S, Aug 24, 2012

Vlad S wrote:

BTW, RawTherapee uses the same lens correction profiles as created by the above utility.

I've been working on creating mFT lens profiles. The process is a bit convoluted, but any experienced digital photographer shouldn't have too much trouble.

Following instructions is the hard part...

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads