The Peak District with Sony NEX7 and Samyang 14mm

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
David Wogan
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
The Peak District with Sony NEX7 and Samyang 14mm
Aug 22, 2012

Nearly two years ago, I stopped taking photographs altogether. Other things had come along and I sold my entire Canon kit (5D II, 1Ds and all the lenses). No more standing on windy hilltops at dawn for me.

And so this morning, I found myself standing on a windy hilltop in the Peak District of Derbyshire with the Sony NEX 7 and Samyang 14mm lens that I bought one month ago. I had never intended to resume Landscaping – especially with a mirrorless camera, even if it had 24 million pixels. But that's where I ended up.

Driving back to London today, I considered that if I was to do Landscaping again - I would of course have to re-invest in a suitable Canon kit. No matter how good the NEX 7 was, it could not possibly compete with full frame plus L glass.

And now I've processed the images from this morning. The bottom line is that NEX 7 plus the 200 quid Samyang produces sharper images than my old 5D did with the Canon 14mm L. The dynamic range of the camera is awesome and the LCD screen works well in the dawn light.

In conclusion: I have no plans to spend any money on Canon kit but I do expect to be spending more time on various wind-swept hills in the near future.

Here's a selection from this morning.

-- hide signature --

David Wogan - The Landscape of Britain
http://www.davidwogan.com

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tpg77
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?
Re: The Peak District with Sony NEX7 and Samyang 14mm
In reply to David Wogan, Aug 22, 2012

Nice set of landscapes! That Nex7 really is impressive but your expertise is not lacking either. Hope to have one some day.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Wogan
Like?
In reply to tpg77, Aug 22, 2012

Thank you - I'm just relieved that I haven't complelely lost my touch after two years out.

tpg77 wrote:

Nice set of landscapes! That Nex7 really is impressive but your expertise is not lacking either. Hope to have one some day.

-- hide signature --

Mike Walters
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?

You definitely have not lost your touch. Nice set of shots, how did you PP them?

Mike

tchuanye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,781Gear list
Like?

Great views! Nice lighting and composition!
--
My Gallery: http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/
Portfolio: http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/Photography/Portfolio

tchuanye's gear list:tchuanye's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot S95 +8 more
David Wogan
Like?
In reply to Mike Walters, Aug 23, 2012

The absence of a filter on the Samyang 14mm means that I have to do ND gradients in Photoshop. Two exposures: 0 and -2EV form two layers in PS which are blended with the gradient tool or a feathered selection. It's a very basic yet effective technique that I've been using since the 1990's. It also produces a less effected result than HDR processing.

Mike Walters wrote:

You definitely have not lost your touch. Nice set of shots, how did you PP them?

Mike

-- hide signature --

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,720Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Wogan, Aug 23, 2012

One may lose a bit of technical expertise, but the eye for composition comes from a more robust place - so I'm not surprised that your recent shots show pretty much all of the compositional quality of your pre-hiatus gallery.

What you have discovered, however, is that camera sensor technology has moved on a lot from your 5D days. The new 5D is an awesome creature, but the NEX-7 is renown as a superb compact landscape system, particularly with MF 3rd-party lenses mounted on adapter. If you had been shooting sports or shots requiring fast AF tracking you might have been less satisfied.

We all need a complete break from even our most precious pasttimes occasionally to prevent ourselves from becoming bored, stale, or formulaic. And life - particularly your work life as a high-tech manager - can drain all your creative energies. I know, I was there. In this situation, we can only make a promise to ourselves to not forget our abiding passions while we attend to more urgent needs.
Welcome back. Post more.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 7,990Gear list
Like?

We're a market that's hard to glut for windswept hilltops around here. Nice!

David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,099Gear list
Like?

Very nice series. I have to get out with mine again. It is a fun little camera and very capable as your shots demonstrate very well. Dave
--
Visit my gallery at http://www.poperotzy.smugmug.com

View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
David Wogan
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Aug 23, 2012

Thanks for the insightful comments.

The "more urgent need" was my long standing desire to pick up on my guitar playing from where i left it in 1977. Playing the blues is fun and hard work in equal measure, yet nothing quite compares to the nourishment gained from a few hours spent in solitude on a hilltop.

mosswings wrote:

In this situation, we can only make a promise to ourselves to not forget our abiding passions while we attend to more urgent needs.
Welcome back. Post more.

-- hide signature --

jeep
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to David Wogan, Sep 4, 2012

Having seen this post and great images I tried out my Alpha mount version of this lens that despite the distortion is a top performer on my a900. Mounting on the LA-EA1 adapter and using with my Nex-7 has proved rather disappointing, I just don't seem to be getting the definition and resolution I can on my a900. Anyone else experienced similar problems?

David Wogan
Like?
In reply to jeep, Sep 4, 2012

There is one consistent flaw in my images above. On the extreme right, about one quarter way down into each frame there is an area of significant OOF. The areas in front and behind and the corresponding area on the left of the images are in focus.

I thought that this could be adapter related and am now more convinced of this having read your comments about the LA-EA1.

jeep wrote:

Having seen this post and great images I tried out my Alpha mount version of this lens that despite the distortion is a top performer on my a900. Mounting on the LA-EA1 adapter and using with my Nex-7 has proved rather disappointing, I just don't seem to be getting the definition and resolution I can on my a900. Anyone else experienced similar problems?

-- hide signature --

Alex Yantifovich
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?
In reply to David Wogan, Sep 5, 2012

Number 3 would have been really cool with a 10 stop ND to move the clouds. The lines that would have created would of played nicely with the lines on the rocks.
--
Nikon D7000
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Nikon SB-600
Manfrotto 190XDB / 486RC2 Ballhead

Dash29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033