macro lens for Nex-7 - any suggestions?

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
hjko
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
macro lens for Nex-7 - any suggestions?
Aug 22, 2012

Hi,

Looking for a macro lens and got suggested Nikon 55mm 3.5 Ai (or perhaps 2.8 AiS) and Canon 60mm.

Anyone here who knows what works if mounted (via adapter) on the Nex-7? (e.g. meter)

Any suggestions which to use?

Any suggestions/experience with other lenses?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
penndragonn2001
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: macro lens for Nex-7 - any suggestions?
In reply to hjko, Aug 22, 2012

I love my Nikon 60mm f2.8 Nikkor Micro lens...Scarey detail....Excellent Portrait lens, and it actually worked extremely well on a recent walk about. Focus Peaking was such a breeze, I was really amazed.

penndragonn2001's gear list:penndragonn2001's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,013
Like?

The Micro-Nikkors are good, although the 105mm is rather heavy. I expect similar lenses from Canon, Olympus etc to be much the same. I have a Topcon which is good.

Make sure it is a fully manual lens with a diaphragm ring and manual focussing.

For indoor work, an enlarger lens mounted on a bellows is probably best. Look for around 75 to 100mm, unless you want to tackle very small subjects, in which case a 50 or even 30mm is good.

For really tiny things you need a firm camera stand and maybe even an anti-vibration mount as everything will vibrate when a car goes past. Try a lens for 8mm cine cameras, mounted in reverse.

weavster
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Aug 22, 2012

I've just started a passionate love affair with my new tamron 90mm - my first proper macro lens which I use via the LA EA1 adapter. Its fairly light and cheap.

The 90mm focal length is great for intimate but candid portraits and the macro ability is superb. I only have a 5n, but don't see why it wouldn't work well on the 7?

All these shots were taken with natural light and most hand-held, as I found the tripod really cumbersome to manipulate in the wild!

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
hjko
Like?
In reply to weavster, Aug 22, 2012

Which advantage does the LA EA1 adapter have?
And are there other adapters which I could use (read smaller ones)?

weavster
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?

It has huge advantages:

All AF alpha mount lenses (eg minolta ) become mountable

AF lenses with no aperture control on the lens barrel can have their aperture adjusted in camera

It records the full exif data - lens model and f value

It has a really nice tripod mount

It has now dropped in price - £100

I wish I'd got mine sooner!

There are no smaller ones as the job of the adapter is to create an exact gap between lens and sensor. The only advantage of the ebay cheapos is their price!

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,537Gear list
Like?

I have LA-EA1 (although, considering an upgrade to LA-EA2), to share my stock of Sony/Minolta A-mount lenses. I have also used LA-EA1 adapter to mount my M42 screw mount lenses (M42 lens to Minolta A-mount adapter, chipped, to LA-EA1 gets me the EXIF out of NEX that M42 to NEX adapter doesn't).

Either LA-EA1, or the more advanced LA-EA2, will allow you to use any Minolta or Sony A-mount lens with full control (including AF although, LA-EA1 has limitations on this issue, LA-EA2 works well).

As for macro lenses, the beauty of NEX is that you can look for deals disregarding the mount. I picked up an Elicar V-HQ 90mm f/2.5 Macro (1:1) last week and it is due to arrive today. For NEX, you can find this supposedly great macro lens on a lot of mounts. I picked one that was the best deal, at $90, delivered: Contax/Yashica. And ordered C/Y to NEX adapter off Amazon for $15 (you can get for less off eBay but I didn't want to wait 2-3 weeks, and was more confident of quality from a US retailer on Amazon).

Many, many options exist. You could look for:

Vivitar 90mm or Panagor 90mm f/2.8 - This is the same lens as the Elicar and made by Komine. On Vivitar, look for serial number starting with "28".

Vivitar 90mm macro - Not to be confused with the above, this Vivitar is made by Tokina (serial number starts with "37" and also referred to as "Bokina" for its nice bokeh.

Vivitar 105mm f/2.8 macro - I believe, made by Kiron (serial number starts with "22"). Another high quality macro.

And the usual...

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 (very nice lens... if you find a deal, grab it regardless of the mount... you don't need to worry about auto-focus with macro lenses anyway)

Minolta 100mm f/3.5 is another very good lens

Of course, you could go for Minolta 100mm f/2.8 (very nice lens), Tamron 60mm f/2 and so on, depending on your budget.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Firemist
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 22, 2012

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

And the usual...

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 (very nice lens... if you find a deal, grab it regardless of the mount... you don't need to worry about auto-focus with macro lenses anyway)

+1 I use the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Adaptall2 (Model 72B) with a Fotodiox Adaptall-NEX adapter.

sasoph
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 22, 2012

Vivitar 90mm macro - Not to be confused with the above, this Vivitar is made by Tokina (serial number starts with "37" and also referred to as "Bokina" for its nice bokeh.

While Tokina did manufacture the Vivitar above, "Bokina" also refers to the Tokina AT-X 90mm Macro [1, 2, 3]. The Tokina holds the edge over its Vivitar cousin, due to better coatings (improved flare resistance) and less CA. Both lenses came with an optical macro extender to give a 1:1 ratio.

1 - http://makingnottaking.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/tokina-90mm-f25-at-x-macro-bokina.html?m=1
2 - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13056277
3 - http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=30894

sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +18 more
ResidentScribe
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Confused about adapters......
In reply to sasoph, Aug 23, 2012

Hi, i'm thinking of getting the Tamron 90mm too but for Nikon mount as i've seen it cheap-ish, but that wouldn't work with the LA EA1 would it?! Ahh, i think i'm about to answer my own question - you presumably have a Tamron for a sony mount, hence using the LA EA1 - is that right?

Also (whilst i'm asking dumb questions) i have an old vivitar MD mount for minolta lens that i'd like to use on the nex - that won't fit on the LA EA1 will it?

Thanks in advance for your help

john-photoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
In reply to hjko, Aug 23, 2012

I have, and enjoy using Nikoln 60/2.8, and 55/3.5 Olympus OM 50/3.5 and Minolta MD 50/3.5 And 80/4 bellows. I have found that they are very comparable. I enjoy using the Nikon 60 as it goes to life size as does the Minolta 80mm. The longer lens allows more working space which I also enjoy. The Olympus is the best for carrying around, so small and light Gets you to half life size. The others seem a bit big and clunky on the small NEX body. I haven't tried the Emount macro, It is a bit short for me, i preffer the larger working distance that a longer lens will allow.
--
Let just all take more photographs!

john-photoguy's gear list:john-photoguy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Re: Confused about adapters......
In reply to ResidentScribe, Aug 23, 2012

You'd need an adapter for that Nikon mount to NEX. LA-EA1 is for using Minolta/Sony A-mount lenses (although, I also use it with M42 to A-mount adapter to mount M42 lenses on NEX).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,472Gear list
Like?

Hi, I've had macro success with an MD Macro Rokkor QX - 50mm, on NEX-5. Inexpensive and sharpety-sharp, came in a velvet lined case with extender for 1:1, and a reverse mounting ring, under 70.00 on online auction. Have yet to try it for normal shooting.

Needed focus-stacking to accomplish this:

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?
In reply to JohnK, Aug 23, 2012

I have had several of the macros that have been mentioned. My experience is as follows:

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5. An outstanding lens in every way.

Olympus OM 50 3.5 macro. Excellent, IQ very slightly below the Nikon, but smaller.

Tokina 100mm f3.5. Also sold as Phoenix, Vivitar and maybe other brands. OK, but not as good as these others.

Tamron 90mm f2.8. Another outstanding lens. This is the only one that goes to 1:1 without an adapter. (The Tamron 90 2.5, an older lens does not)

Of these four I am keeping the Tamron because it is as good as any of the others, and because I have several 50mm lenses, but need a lens in the 90-100mm range, and because it is 1:1.

Keep in mind that for macro you really don't want to rely on AF, so these MF lenses will be fine. For myself, I like MF, which is one reason I went with the NEX system.

Michael

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Elicar V-HQ 90mm f/2.5 Macro (1:1) By Komine

My Elicar V-HQ 90mm f/2.5 (C/Y Mount) arrived last night. I won this lens in an auction that included Yashica/Kyocera body and Vivitar 2800 Thyristor flash (which was mounted on the lens via a removable holder). The bonus was that the combination arrived in a nice padded box that I wasn’t aware of until I opened the package. This lens was used for clinical (dental) purposes and has related markings along the magnification ratios which goes from 1:20 at infinity to 1:1 at about 0.35m.

I did not expect the lens to be as compact as it turned out to be, which was a pleasant surprise since I intend to use exclusively on my NEX (for macro, I could also use it on my A55, but don’t need to, with A-mount Sigma 70mm f/2.8 at hand as well). It is also quite light. Probably more compact and definitely lighter than my Sigma 70mm (and more compact than Tamron 90mm but not any lighter).

I can’t speak of IQ yet, but my limited play time with it were promising and pointing towards a very sharp and capable lens considering the conditions (indoor lighting, outdoors at near dusk). The lens extends but manages about 140mm clearance at 1:1 magnification (again, same as Tamron 90mm f/2.8) which is marked for the dentist as “Crown”. Let the drilling begin!

The focusing ring needs greasing though. That brings me to my issue with C/Y to NEX adapter. It is solid metal, and fits very well into the camera body. Even the lens bayonet fits well… except that a little clip that should lock the bayonet in place doesn’t. Consequently, turning the focus ring also turns the lens out of the adapter. A fix for the adapter should do it.

But, Elicar 90mm f/2.5 appears to be a great value and especially at the price I found it… $90 delivered. It is also sold as Vivitar and Panagor brands, made by Komine… I am becoming a fan of their optics now have two lenses the other being a fast telephoto zoom, 70-210 f/2.8-4 under Vivitar brand.

I will try to post pictures of the lens and images with the lens in a few days, if this thread is still going.

hjko
Like?
Re: Elicar V-HQ 90mm f/2.5 Macro (1:1) By Komine
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 27, 2012

Looking forward to see some pictures.

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Aug 27, 2012

Michael,

You forgot the Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro, which also goes to 1:1 without adapter...
Very smooth and accurate focusing, really sharp lens.

Marc

Michael Everett wrote:

Tamron 90mm f2.8. Another outstanding lens. This is the only one that goes to 1:1 without an adapter. (The Tamron 90 2.5, an older lens does not)

mikiev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Close-up filter on E-mount?
In reply to hjko, Aug 27, 2012

hjko wrote:

Hi,

Looking for a macro lens and got suggested Nikon 55mm 3.5 Ai (or perhaps 2.8 AiS) and Canon 60mm.

Any suggestions/experience with other lenses?

I decided to try the inexpensive route to "pseudo-macro" by picking-up one of the +5 diopter close-up filters for 49mm.

I can use it on my 50mm f1.8 and 55-210mm E-mount lenses - so I have AF, metering, & anti-shake on both.

I've only tried it on those two lenses, but it will also fit on my kit zoom and 24mm f1.8

Not a true macro, but good enough for the close-ups of flowers & bugs that I'm looking to do.

-- hide signature --

mikiev's gear list:mikiev's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Aug 27, 2012

Letsgokoulos wrote:

Michael,

You forgot the Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro, which also goes to 1:1 without adapter...
Very smooth and accurate focusing, really sharp lens.

You're right. I have heard about that lens but never tried it. What I meant to say was that of those lenses I have tried the Tamron was the only 1:1. Other than the Kiron are there any others in that general focal length?

Michael

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Aug 27, 2012

Sorry I misunderstood your statement.

There seems to be several manual 1:1 lenses in the 90 to 105mm FL, and I am currently trying to sort them out.

I am searching on the web, and it is a big mess to identify all these lenses properly. Vivitar, for example, seems to have 3 or 4 (if not more) lenses in these FLs !
I will write a note when I am through.

Marc

Michael Everett wrote:

You're right. I have heard about that lens but never tried it. What I meant to say was that of those lenses I have tried the Tamron was the only 1:1. Other than the Kiron are there any others in that general focal length?

Michael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads