Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
Aug 21, 2012

During the past few days I learned so much from the suggestions, tips and comments from you very kind forum members.

I am very grateful for the time you took to educate me. I am learning so much from you! Thank you!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=42285668
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42300668

I can't go to these places again for now, but your tips made me look for other photos that I initially couldn't not see any potential in them, also the pp tips were very useful.

The weather and timing were not ideal as I was always on the move and these were not the highlights of my trip. I love to shoot people, and photographing ethnic minorities were the main reason for this second trip to Northern Vietnam.

I am a hobbyist, and not a very good one but trying to learn, and of course,I am really enjoying my D800.

I was surprised how green Northern Vietnam is. I have never have seen such green in my life, I felt hypnotized and I don't have the skill to show that kind of green in a photo.

I shot these while en route to the villages, I asked to stop the car and I had about 10 minutes to shoot in each place, I took lots of pics as I was always looking for different angles and perspectives and now I am glad I did so as I think I got some keepers even if heavily processed to get rid of the fog.

Only the first photo was taken with tripod and LV, the other ones handheld and Viewfinder.

Thank you!

14-24 2.8, 20mm, F8, 1/250, ISO 100, 1053 metres above sea level.

35mm 1.4G, F8, 1/160, ISO 100, 670 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 17mm, F5.6, 1/250, ISO 100, 765 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 24mm, F8, 1/250, ISO 100, 1054 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 14mm, F8, 1/200, ISO 100, 1056 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 14mm, F8, 1/320, ISO 100, 974 metres above sea level.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
craig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

I think these are stunning photographs. The first one takes my breath away. You are far too modest It was a treat to visit your website. I'm glad your enjoying your D800. You really make it sing.
Craig S.
--

http://www.pbase.com/crs

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,268Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to craig, Aug 21, 2012

Beautiful images there. I really like the first one.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

 InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,067Gear list
Like?
Green!
In reply to InTheMist, Aug 21, 2012
 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,428
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

You don't give yourself enough credit Jorge...I'm always pleased by the images you put up here.
--
Herby

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jackpro
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to herbymel, Aug 21, 2012

Nice work!!

 jackpro's gear list:jackpro's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,567Gear list
Like?
gorgeous scenary! also try LAB curves to pop greens
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

Great examples of what you say and captured! Glad you were able to apply the tips.

Also, if you really want to really pop greens - try LAB color. Create an action to duplicate layer, then apply the LAB color curves. for "a" slide to the right (less dark), for "b" slide to the left(less bright). then see if you can apply the mask for other colors. again, you can create multiple actions for various degree of green you want.

of course other colors are also possible.. here is one post that i found
http://digital-photography-school.com/turn-ho-hum-color-into-wow-with-photoshop

I suspect recent "vibrance" control usually does that behind the scenes, unlike saturation. anyway, its always possible to abuse any form of processing, so tread gently to your liking.

will be wonderful to see more imagery regardless!

some folks say use circular polarizers for green, but it ends up washing out the clouds in digital photography, so i completely ignore them.

JMacedo wrote:

During the past few days I learned so much from the suggestions, tips and comments from you very kind forum members.

I am very grateful for the time you took to educate me. I am learning so much from you! Thank you!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=42285668
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42300668

I can't go to these places again for now, but your tips made me look for other photos that I initially couldn't not see any potential in them, also the pp tips were very useful.

The weather and timing were not ideal as I was always on the move and these were not the highlights of my trip. I love to shoot people, and photographing ethnic minorities were the main reason for this second trip to Northern Vietnam.

I am a hobbyist, and not a very good one but trying to learn, and of course,I am really enjoying my D800.

I was surprised how green Northern Vietnam is. I have never have seen such green in my life, I felt hypnotized and I don't have the skill to show that kind of green in a photo.

I shot these while en route to the villages, I asked to stop the car and I had about 10 minutes to shoot in each place, I took lots of pics as I was always looking for different angles and perspectives and now I am glad I did so as I think I got some keepers even if heavily processed to get rid of the fog.

Only the first photo was taken with tripod and LV, the other ones handheld and Viewfinder.

Thank you!

14-24 2.8, 20mm, F8, 1/250, ISO 100, 1053 metres above sea level.

35mm 1.4G, F8, 1/160, ISO 100, 670 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 17mm, F5.6, 1/250, ISO 100, 765 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 24mm, F8, 1/250, ISO 100, 1054 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 14mm, F8, 1/200, ISO 100, 1056 metres above sea level.

14-24 2.8, 14mm, F8, 1/320, ISO 100, 974 metres above sea level.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautiful Green!
In reply to Steve Bingham, Aug 21, 2012

Beautiful, I especially like the first and the one with the truck. Only comment on PP is that some of them look a little oversharpened (deconvolution?) for my taste.

Congrats,
Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

What great images!
Well done.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Interesting geographic feature... ;)
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

Interesting geographic feature, don't you think? In Portuguese "The Earth" (A Terra) is feminine and here is the proof! lol

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neil Morgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

Hi There,

Well despite your lack of knowledge and such, the images show the beautiful landscape and I thank you for that.

I am sure that the more you shoot and the more you learn the better your shots will become.
Congrats and keep learning !
--
A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
A Death Certificate shows that we died.
Pictures show that we lived!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to craig, Aug 21, 2012

You are far too kind Craig, thank you very much for the very kind words.

craig wrote:

I think these are stunning photographs. The first one takes my breath away. You are far too modest It was a treat to visit your website. I'm glad your enjoying your D800. You really make it sing.
Craig S.
--

http://www.pbase.com/crs

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,779Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

Wow, these are fantastic, Jorge! You really have captured the scenes beautifully and they really show depth and interest!
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to InTheMist, Aug 21, 2012

Thank you very much.

InTheMist wrote:

Beautiful images there. I really like the first one.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KennethKwok
Contributing MemberPosts: 940Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to JMacedo, Aug 21, 2012

Very nice!

 KennethKwok's gear list:KennethKwok's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Green!
In reply to Steve Bingham, Aug 21, 2012

I really admire your photography and photographic knowledge, Steve. Thank you very much for taking the time and the kind comments.

Steve Bingham wrote:

Stunning.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you kind people! Landscapes with D800
In reply to herbymel, Aug 21, 2012

Very kind words, Herby. Some of my pics are nice and I am glad you like them but they still have the mark of a snapshot with good gear. When I look at the galleries of many of the posters here and some posted pics I really feel small.

Seeing better photos than mine taken by other forum members with the same gear I have really makes me want to improve and I am trying to.

Thank you very much, Herby.

herbymel wrote:

You don't give yourself enough credit Jorge...I'm always pleased by the images you put up here.
--
Herby

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Thank you. (nt)
In reply to jackpro, Aug 21, 2012

jackpro wrote:

Nice work!!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: gorgeous scenary! also try LAB curves to pop greens
In reply to Devendra, Aug 21, 2012

You always have some useful advice for me and I thank you very much for that.

Now I am realizing I may need to buy a good book to teach me photoshop.

I have never used LAB colour before and I was clueless, thank you so much for the link. I am already trying to learn how it works.

I only use a CPL if I want to eliminate reflections (water, glass) as sometimes CPL's give me some not so good skies. Is just something I feel I can't rely on, or I am not experienced enough or mine are rubbish (I use Nikon CPL), anyway I don't have any of the available third party CPLs available for the 14-24 as I think they are pricey.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Devendra wrote:

Great examples of what you say and captured! Glad you were able to apply the tips.

Also, if you really want to really pop greens - try LAB color. Create an action to duplicate layer, then apply the LAB color curves. for "a" slide to the right (less dark), for "b" slide to the left(less bright). then see if you can apply the mask for other colors. again, you can create multiple actions for various degree of green you want.

of course other colors are also possible.. here is one post that i found
http://digital-photography-school.com/turn-ho-hum-color-into-wow-with-photoshop

I suspect recent "vibrance" control usually does that behind the scenes, unlike saturation. anyway, its always possible to abuse any form of processing, so tread gently to your liking.

will be wonderful to see more imagery regardless!

some folks say use circular polarizers for green, but it ends up washing out the clouds in digital photography, so i completely ignore them.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Gerstner
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,564Gear list
Like?
Re: gorgeous scenary! also try LAB curves to pop greens
In reply to Devendra, Aug 21, 2012

Devendra wrote:

Also, if you really want to really pop greens - try LAB color.

I've used LAB quite often to correct colors, but in these images the greens look great on my monitor. I've seen quite a few D800 images where the greens appear, to me, to be way over saturated.....just because we can doesn't mean we should, or that it will somehow improve the photo........just a personal opinion.

JMacedo........some great images, very nice photography!

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads