RX100: For Pocket,Belt or else?

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions
ParietalPenguin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,762Gear list
Like?
Wow, you guys must . . .
In reply to radissimo, Aug 22, 2012

all be guys! I, for one, will not be carrying the RX100 in my pants or shirt pocket (actually, I don't have any shirt pockets!) Fortunately, I have a purse!
--

Karen

ParietalPenguin's gear list:ParietalPenguin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A55 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,395
Like?
Re: Wow, you guys must . . .
In reply to ParietalPenguin, Aug 22, 2012
radissimo
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Aug 22, 2012

SO FAR the count is:

slingbag x1
sunglass case x1
purse x1
belt holster x1
pocket x13

actually count me for pocket as well... x14

I think the wee RX100 changed the way how we taking the pictures in a line with a saying: The best camera is the one always with you...

radissimo's gear list:radissimo's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7
cdp8
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
In reply to radissimo, Aug 22, 2012

Originally, I was intendeding to pocket, and still will on occasion, but the prevalance of dust bunnies getting inside (I returned an RX100 already plus the other DPR threads) leads me to believe that the body and lens are not well sealed. So I will keep it out of my linty pockets and in a case that clips to my belt for the most part.

mark moe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?
Re: RX100: For Pocket,Belt or else?
In reply to dwissing, Aug 23, 2012

dwissing wrote:

I got it because it is the best camera you can get that fits into your pocket. If pocket didn't matter, I'd use my DSLR. The RX100 is the camera that is always with me, because it goes in my pocket.

exactly the same here> > > I don't use a case just a screen protector made of film.

mark moe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?
Re: Carry $650 in a pocket?
In reply to Cy Cheze, Aug 23, 2012

If $650 would break your bank then maybe it shouldn't be in your pocket. Me: My smartphone costs about the same andi its in my pocket too.

BTW: I boought thru Sony style and got a free 2ys accidental insurance policy--given after my purchase thanks t a tip from a poster here.

I

Cy Cheze wrote:

That's a lot of cash to carry around. Cash or cards might get stolen, but will at least survive a fall or endure pocket lint. Paper money and credit cards usually survive immersion too. A camera, on the other hand, is at risk for all of the above.

"S" happens.

World class athletes fall, stumble, or goof up. Why not camera fans? Their precious RX100 has no crash helmet, seat belt, weather sealing, rubber grip, dust protection, or air bag. Its hand strap just might hook onto a key chain in the pocket and, when quick-drawn Dodge City style, slip out of control.

Well, in 12 months or less, the laws of Newton or Murphy will take their toll. Of course, by that time, there will be oodles of people anxious to pay another $650 to upgrade to the RX200, so what will they care about last year's obsession? It's only money. Spend, spend, spend.

PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
In reply to radissimo, Aug 23, 2012

Actually, I keep mine on a wrist strap all the time. When it's time for an ice cream cone, then it goes in the pocket. I just wish it had a lens cap like the GRD4. That way there is no chance of it starting up in my pocket.
--
Cheers, Don

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?

95% of the time, it is in my shirt pocket. You have to be careful when picking up something from the ground - you need to bend your knees instead of at your waist. I lost an iPhone that way, so I am now very cautious and I don't expect it to ever happen again.

When I am hiking, it is in a waist pouch (Santiago 20).

Just the other day when I was hiking, I saw somebody in a motorized contraption with a parachute on top flying by overhead. I had no idea something like that existed, or that they would allow it to fly so close to the ground. Unfortunately by the time I got the RX100 out of the pouch, he had flown by and the sun was now in my eyes, so I didn't bother.

I am going to replace that waist pouch (zippers) with something that has a magnetic flap, which should allow faster extraction.

Ann Chaikin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,878Gear list
Like?
Me too.
In reply to ParietalPenguin, Aug 23, 2012

And I might end up with it in a vest pocket while traveling. For now it is in a case in my purse. It is doing quite well there too.
--
Ann Chaikin
Painting & Photography:
http://www.annchaikin.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annchaikin/
Photo a Day
http://www.blipfoto.com/ArtistAnnie
Family Websites:
http://www.chaikinsofbellingham.com

Ann Chaikin's gear list:Ann Chaikin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma DP2 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
RonAnnArbor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Pocket

I've carried mine in a cargo pants pocket for 5 weeks with zero problems and don't expect to carry it in any type of case or anywhere else...

650 or not 650, it's still a compact camera and actually more heavy duty than most.

In fact, one of the reasons I stopped using the Pany LX5 in favor of the Canon S100 was that it could NOT be carried easily in a pocket.

If I am going to bring a case, I might as well use my dSLR....

Pocket, and happy with it.

RonAnnArbor's gear list:RonAnnArbor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads