Problem displaying dpreview and similar sites

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions
Jim Gif
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Problem displaying dpreview and similar sites
Aug 20, 2012

I have a problem with a Dell laptop in displaying "live" areas on web sites such as dpreview. I have attached a couple of screen shots, one from my desktop and one from the laptop, of the dpreview homepage. I have left the backgrounds visible to show that both display colours and images OK. The problem is with some of those parts of the page that are clickable but not with them all. In the screen shots the menus drop in both, the Hipstamatik camera shows and clicks in both, but the EOS 5D etc do not appear on the laptop but are clickable when you mouse over them. So I have to guess what options there are then hunt for them. There may be a clue in that the non clickable background is white on the laptop. The problem is the same in Internet Explorer and Firefox. Both computers are running XP. I think both are fully updated. Any suggestions?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,271
Like?
Probably site issues, not browser issues...
In reply to Jim Gif, Aug 20, 2012

It's probably just some sites issues they're having, as I've been seeing odd issues for a while now on dpreview.com using Firefox under LInux (and you're seeing the types of issues with more than one browser, including IE and Firefox under Windows).

IOW, I see the same type of thing in your second screen capture on a regular basis (along with site errors generated by their servers on frequent basis, too).

Usually, just refreshing the pages or trying again in a few minutes gets me a good rendering of them when I see those types of problems here.

-- hide signature --

JimC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joey_B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,080
Like?
Re: Problem displaying dpreview and similar sites

It's a setting in IE that's gone wrong. I'm behind a Dutch PC now, but I'll try tot explain... in the one that does not display correctly, go the the 'View' menu, and there search for (I guess it's called) Style. There you have to select 'standard'.

Solved?

If not, you can check if your browser uses CSS to build the page... under Tools > Developer Tools , see if CSS is enabled.

Jim Cockfield
Like?
he's seeing the same issues using Firefox
In reply to joey_B, Aug 20, 2012

He's seeing the same issue in both Firefox and IE (see the last sentence in his post about it).

I see a similar problem with pages not rendered properly on a regular basis using Firefox under Linux (where I may not see background colors, etc.), and usually just refreshing the page or trying it again in a few minutes fixes the issue).

Ditto for server errors viewing forums here at dpreview.com (I've been seeing them multiple times per day for a while now, where it may take me multiple attempts to complete making a post or viewing a thread without seeing the errors, with a dpreview.com error page coming up when it happens each time).

I think they're having some server issues causing it.

-- hide signature --

JimC

Jim Gif
Like?

Not solved. Choice is default or no style, neither help.

Jim Gif
Like?
Re: Probably site issues, not browser issues...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Aug 20, 2012

This has been an issue on the laptop for some time now, weeks, and doesn't change. It affects many web sites, not just dpreview.

Jim Cockfield
Like?
browser versions, color settings, etc.

Jim Gif wrote:

This has been an issue on the laptop for some time now, weeks, and doesn't change. It affects many web sites, not just dpreview.

OK -- maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're seeing.

Are you saying that you don't see the background color on other sites, too; and this is happening with both Firefox and IE?

I'm not in windows right this minute to see where a similar setting may be in IE, but Firefox has settings for that kind of thing.

For example, you can go to Firefox Edit> Preference and look under the Content Tab and you'll see a Colors button. Click on it and make re you have the box checked so that sites can choose their own colors.

Personally, I'm also using an add-on so that I can quickly check colors on and off. This one:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/prefbar/

That helps when I run into a web site with odd color combinations (for example, very dark text on a dark background that's hard to read, so I can uncheck a colors box to make a site more readable. I've got some of the menu choices I use more often from Prefbar setup in my menu toolbar, as you can see on the below screen capture (note the extra choices at the top of this Firefox page below).

So, you may have installed something that disabled the default color settings or something if you're seeing that same issue on multiple sites now.

How about your monitor resolution settings? You didn't by chance use an option other than 32 Bit True Color or something like that causing the number of available colors to be wrong)?

How about the versions of IE and Firefox you're using?

Are you using up to date versions of them?

For example, this site is no longer compatible with IE 6 (they announced that a long time ago), and you could also have some issues with older versions of Firefox.

You'll see the same issue on many web sites now (no longer compatible with IE 6 and older versions). So, I'd update to IE 7 or later if you're still using an old version.

If they are in fact newer, you may want to try resetting them back to defaults. Here's a page on doing that with IE:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Here's one on resetting defaults in Firefox:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

But, it does seem unlikely you'd have settings issues in multiple browsers ( if you are using newer versions of them). So, I'd check your monitor resolution and make sure you have higher bit depth color selected for one thing (i.e.,, you don't have it set to something like 16 bit).

You may also want to make sure you're using up to date versions of plugins like Adobe Flash Player. Here's a good free tool you can use to check for up to date versions of most browser related stuff:

https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

Click Expand All to see more of the screen capture showing the prefbar options on my Firefox menu bar that allow me to turn colors on and off (as it sounds like you might have a settings problem related to colors display, as discussed above)

-- hide signature --

JimC

Jim Cockfield
Like?
screen resolution settings, links to browsers, malware scans...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Aug 20, 2012

More on screen resolution:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

You'll also see the bit depth settings there (make sure you don't have it set to something like 16 bit instead of 24 bit or 32 bit "True color").

For a laptop, make sure you have it set to it's "native resolution" (which you can find in your laptop models specifications), not a lower resolution to try and make text larger.

For one thing, LCDs are designed to work best at their native resolution. For another thing, not all bit depths may be supported by your video card driver at something other than the display's native resolution.

If you have problems seeing content, use the DPI settings instead to make text larger, not by using lower resolution settings than the display was designed for. Here's how to do that:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_use_large_or_small_fonts.mspx?mfr=true

But, I'd check to make sure your browsers and plugins are somewhat recent for starters. As mentioned earlier, this site is no longer fully compatible with IE 6 (they announced that a long time ago), and they same thing applies to many other web sites.

So, use IE 7 or later now with XP. You can get IE 8 (latest version available for XP) from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Get Firefox 14 from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

Again, this tool can help you with browser related plugins so that they're up to date, too:

https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

How about Windows updates? If you don't have all updates and patches installed from Microsoft, as well as your browsers and plugins (Adobe Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, etc.) up to date, you're an easy target for malware, and you may have an infected system.

That's because as soon as patches are released to fix security holes, malware writers figure out what changed, then infect web pages with code designed to install malware your system, simply by visiting web pages with malicious code on them.

So, you may want to scan your system with multiple scanners to make sure you don't have a major malware problem.

I'd probably grab the free version of Malwarebytes for starters and scan your system (and make sure to update it's definitions after you install it). Remove the space between the last . and exe

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup . exe

Or here:

http://download.freewarefiles.com/files/mbam-setup-1.62.0.1300 . exe

Or, click on the download button from Malwarebytes.org from this page (use the free version). But, if that takes you to CNET's download.com, make sure to opt out of any extras like toolbars (as those are just adware and you don't want them on your system):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Then, reboot your system into Safe Mode and scan it using Malwarebytes again (that way, most malware that may have infected your system will not have a chance to load and run so it can hide from scanners, since once you're infected, a lot of malware is designed to hide from mos AV scanners.

To reboot into safe mode, restart your PC and press F8 a couple of times per second (tap on it repeatedly) and you should see a menu that lets you start Windows in Safe Mode. If you don't see that menu, and Windows loads normally, reboot and try again (you probably didn't tap on F8 often enough for Windows to see it before it started running). Then, scan with Malwarebytes again from Safe Mode.

-- hide signature --

JimC

joey_B
Like?

reinstall your browser...

Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

Got this message when I clicked this thread LOL . "The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process."

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,027
Like?
In reply to Braxton7, Aug 20, 2012

Braxton7 wrote:

Got this message when I clicked this thread LOL . "The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process."

I have had a couple of them today. It's that new technician.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,322
Like?
In reply to Braxton7, Aug 20, 2012

Braxton7 wrote:

That's a server problem and I've seen it maybe a dozen times over the past 6 months.

Jim Gif
Like?
No luck so far
In reply to Jim Gif, Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the input, so far no joy in fixing the problem. All browsers are current, I have removed and reloaded Java, CSS is enabled. I have found that by going to the page's source I can find and display as jpegs, on a separate web page, the images of cameras etc which are missing from the home page. So the home page as displayed contains all the clickable areas but is not showing the underlying images. What am I missing?

joey_B
Like?
Re: No luck so far

Did you try Chrome already?

Jim Gif
Like?
In reply to joey_B, Aug 21, 2012

Don't use it on either computer.

joey_B
Like?

Try it. It has a different way of installing itself than IE and FF. If Chrome works, it might be a system setting on the laptop that is off.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads