think tank retrospective 5

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions
Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
think tank retrospective 5
Aug 20, 2012

Anyone have one of these with a OM-D E-M5?

Trying to sort out how to use it with my assorted lenses. Everything fits in there but the partitions aren't really designed for tiny m43 lenses. I'm almost thinking of putting every lens in a pouch and then just tossing everything loosely in the bag.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: think tank retrospective 5
In reply to Makinations, Aug 20, 2012

I kind of had the same problem with my Retrospective 7. One of my older TT bags, I think the UD35 came with dividers that had a row of the soft Velcro side where you could stick one of the ends folded over. (Think of something similar to silence feature on the bag) That way I could attach one side, but leave lose on the other. That way I can use it as a divider, but still get at the bottom lens easily. You can probably buy some Velcro and do the same thing with the included dividers. Sorry if I didn't explain it well.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AntnioGM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?

Hello.

I don't have theE-M5, but I've been using my E-P3 with VF3 (about the same volume of the E-M5) on a Retrospective 5. I have now, the 14-42, 14-150 and 17mm, plus a spare battery. With this gear, I still have enough space for at least two other lenses.

I also used it with the E1 and 14-54, The E620 with two other lenses, and the Nikon D300 and the 16-85, plus the Nikon 35mm 1.8.

So, you can be sure that your E-M5 will fit whithout any problem.

António GM
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91908602@N00/

AntnioGM's gear list:AntnioGM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Leica D-LUX 4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Leica V-Lux 20 Epson R-D1 +10 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?

I have one of these that I use for weekend shooting as it's so small. I put all of my lenses in pouches in the bag except for the one on the camera (I'll usually put a smaller lens like the PL 25 or Oly 12 on the camera). I put my camera (E-M5) into one of the sections and use the other two to store lenses.

In terms of how many lenses can you carry, it depends on the size of the lenses you want to take with you. Bigger lenses like the 7-14 or 75-300 can fill a section by themselves whereas you can carry at least 5 smaller lenses. I found a place on eBay that sells small sheepskin lens cases for leica lenses. Nothing amazing (in fact a bit cheap) but they do the job and are a bit smaller than the cases that Oly sell.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Ajohnw
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Aug 20, 2012

I've been having bag problems too. For plenty of room and lenses in pouches there is a suitable Troop London shoulder bag. I think it's the olympic - on an amazon uk review some one mentions using it as a camera bag and some one else complains it's too stiff. It's made of very heavy canavas. Water runs off but I doubt if it's totally water proof.

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these but they won't blend in like an ordinary shoulder bag.

http://www.flyyeindustries.com/ArticleShow.asp?ProdID=0186

This one should be water proof - military grade cordura.

On the cheap there is heavy guage cordura gas mask bag on ebay uk. Amazingly cheap. Might suit do it yourself people. It's too deep for 4/3 really. Lunch and mac in the bottom? The cover fastening is manic and the strap too narrow but for a few quid? The cover fastening is way over the top. Velco and a press stud. If for germ warfare the user would be dead before opening it. Easy to remove some/all velcro though,

Also tried the far east leather pen bag. Not too bad but camera and another lens doesn't fit in well really. Only just. It's not badly made though and would be better without the viewfinder on the camera - no good for om.

Also tried a crumpler muffin 3000. Not big enough for a pen and another lens again really.

Also a smaller canvas shoulder bag for just the camera and one other lens. Used it on 2 days and it's too fiddly but ok. It's a simple one over 100mm wide and no extra pockets to speak of. Much thinner guage canvas than troop.

Just weakened and bought the flyye. Tip - cheaper on amazon than ebay.

I've decided to keep the charger and leads and a few other similar things not needed to shoot in a separate zip up bag once I find a suitable one eg small leather ladies make up bag etc.

John

Ajohnw's gear list:Ajohnw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 300D Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
mpresley
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ajohnw, Aug 20, 2012

I just picked up one of these, made by Wenger. It fits the E-M5 with the 12-50, 45, & 25 inside, three batteries, charger in the side pouch, iPad in the back slot... and could fit another small lens. not as heavy as the think tank bags ( I have the Retrospective 10) but built well enough.

http://www.wengerna.com/zinc-dslr-camera-messenger-bag-12315

-- hide signature --

Not a pro, just a Granddad with to much camera gear

mpresley's gear list:mpresley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D50 Nikon D1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +16 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,812Gear list
Like?

Makinations wrote:

Trying to sort out how to use it with my assorted lenses. Everything fits in there but the partitions aren't really designed for tiny m43 lenses. I'm almost thinking of putting every lens in a pouch and then just tossing everything loosely in the bag.

I took my E-P3+VF2, 12, 25 and 45 prime combination to Paris in the Retrospective 5 bag. Worked great with the 25 on the body and one lens either side with the camera+VF2+25 in the center section, face down.

The E-M5 is shorter than the E-P3+VF2 so works even better in the Retrospective 5 if the goal is carrying a three lens outfit. If I want to go with a more versatile outfit, the 9-18 and 75-300 can replace the 12 and 45 primes and it still all fits in the bag easily.

If I want to carry more than three lenses I move up to the Retrospective 7, where I can easily carry both more lenses and an FL600R or FL50R flash and lots of extra stuff.

The shoulder straps on these bags are as comfortable as I have used.

Greg

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
YeoHoon Bae
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?

I have this bag. This used to be my favorite bag when I had E-PL3 but not sure anymore now that I have the E-M5.

I usually carry the following everywhere:

• E-M5

• Panny 100-300mm (to be changed to Oly 75-300mm so that may help)

• Oly 12-50mm mounted on the E-M5

• Oly 9-18mm

• either Oly 45mm f1.8 or Panny 25mm f1.4 depending on the trip

I use two dividers, one side has 100-300, and the other extreme side has 9-18 plus one more lens, stacked on top of each other.

The problem I have here is that the length of E-M5 is a bit too long to be placed perpendicular to the length of the bag (the bag bulges out a bit too much for my taste). If I try to place it along the length of the bag, then it is way too tight - I can't take out the lenses easily. I'm hoping that changing 100-300 to 75-300 will help this out but I doubt it, as the diameter difference is very small. So right now, I place the E-M5 angled roughly 45 degree in the bag, with the lens facing towards the top. Still pretty tight. Hmmm.

Retrospective 7 looks quite big. Also it will probably be heavy. Not sure what to do at the moment.

YeoHoon Bae's gear list:YeoHoon Bae's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,812Gear list
Like?
In reply to YeoHoon Bae, Aug 20, 2012

YeoHoon Bae wrote:

The problem I have here is that the length of E-M5 is a bit too long to be placed perpendicular to the length of the bag (the bag bulges out a bit too much for my taste). If I try to place it along the length of the bag, then it is way too tight - I can't take out the lenses easily. I'm hoping that changing 100-300 to 75-300 will help this out but I doubt it, as the diameter difference is very small. So right now, I place the E-M5 angled roughly 45 degree in the bag, with the lens facing towards the top. Still pretty tight. Hmmm.

Have you tried putting the E-M5 with the 12-50 mounted in the center section, lens first, so it is pointed down and the back of the camera facing up? I know it would be a tight fit if you have the hood fitted, but the body+12-50 is a perfect fit in the center section with the lens facing down and the back of the body pointed up, and it's easy to pull the combination out to shoot in that position.

Retrospective 7 looks quite big. Also it will probably be heavy. Not sure what to do at the moment.

It's bigger, but far from overly big. Once you go beyond what can comfortably fit in the Retrospective 5, you need a bag about the size of the Retrospective 7. I still mount the camera+lens in the center, the 75-300, with the reversed hood, fits perfectly in one side section and I have the other sized partitioned into two sections where the 12mm f2 and 45/1.8 go. Either an FL50R or FL600R plus extra lens like the 9-18 can go easily in the front pouch with many other items if you have other stuff to pack. I keep extra batteries in the back zippered area inside the bag, and if you like to carry one, an iPad will fit in the outer back zippered pocket.

-- hide signature --

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
In reply to YeoHoon Bae, Aug 20, 2012

I do carry the E-M5 perpendicular to the length of the bag, but I don't own the 12-50 (though I do have some other larger lenses like the 7-14). My solution to this would be to mount one of the smaller lenses on the camera for carrying purposes (so in your example I would probably mount the 25 or 45 rather than the 12-50). It works well for me.

YeoHoon Bae wrote:

I have this bag. This used to be my favorite bag when I had E-PL3 but not sure anymore now that I have the E-M5.

• E-M5

• Oly 9-18mm

I use two dividers, one side has 100-300, and the other extreme side has 9-18 plus one more lens, stacked on top of each other.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,345
Like?
Re: think tank retrospective 5 - my solution

I have a TT Retro 5.

Works fine for E-M5 with 12-50 + ZD70-300 with adapter + one or two other lenses.

Pouches don't work for me. I want my lenses to be accessible more quickly and one-handed.

The thing with the dividers is not to use them all vertically, but also folded and horizontally. I use one to keep the tele lens upright. Another is used as a horizontal divider under which I place the spare lenses, with the E-M5 resting on top of it.
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,506Gear list
Like?

I have written in this topic a lot, not sure anyone really cares how I make the Think Tank Retrospective 5,7,10 and 30 adapted to MFT's.

The short version is the inserts and spending a little more money to do it. You have to buy the Domke ballistic not canvas version of the F-6 little bit smaller bag. You also need to add the specific Two section compartment for that bag, its the short one.

I have the GX-1, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 25 1.4, 45 2.8, 20 1.7, Metz 48 af-1, extra batteries, charger, flash bracket, Gary fong collapsible light sphere, a few filters. Everything fits in the Retrospective 30 (think tank) bag. You need the Domke F6 main compartment insert that is velcro (not sown together dividers) and Two of the Two part short compartments.

To do the Retrospective 7 you need Three of the Two section compartments accessory meant for that F6 bag mentioned. You hollow out the middle insert for the camera or don't use it at all. The Retro 7 hold the GX-1 or GF-1 with 14-45 attached, 7-14, 25 & 45 and the flash or basically any extra Four accessories you need.

I had to buy an extra F6 ballistic bag just to get that main compartment for the velcro.

You have to hollow out the Think Tank Retro 7,10 and 30 to do this. The Retro 5 you do not change but will hold the GX-1, 14-45 and Two accessories on the side lenses or flash size for MFT's.

The internal TT retro zippers hold cable release, batteries, filter perfect.

I have to add and forgot that you can skip the extra two part compartments and since the internal TT bag takes Velcro accessories you can buy Kata dividers to customize and they come in different sizes.

The Think Tank and the Domke dimensions are the same except the Retrospective 20, its too deep for MFT's.

Makinations wrote:

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,789Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Aug 20, 2012

Gregm61 wrote:

YeoHoon Bae wrote:

Have you tried putting the E-M5 with the 12-50 mounted in the center section, lens first, so it is pointed down and the back of the camera facing up? I know it would be a tight fit if you have the hood fitted, but the body+12-50 is a perfect fit in the center section with the lens facing down and the back of the body pointed up, and it's easy to pull the combination out to shoot in that position.

This is what I do. The EM5 fits as easily as my GF1 did (even easier than the GF1 with the LVF1 attached). I just put the E-M5 with a lens mounted (usually 12-50, 14-45mm, or 45mm f/1.8) face down in the middle with the camera perpendicular to the length of the bag. I put the 45-200mm on one side (where I give it a little more room) and on the other side I have the secondary lens compartment where I usually put one of the smaller lenses I'm not using. The 20mm f/1.7 fits in the accessory pocket along with the FL300R and some other accessories. I don't usually carry the raincover. All this fits easily and it is no problem to get things in and out, but the 45-200mm is smaller than the 100-300mm. If I get that lens I suppose things could change.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Makinations
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Aug 21, 2012

Ah! I found those on the bottom of the bag. Thought it was just a heavily padded bag. Those are exactly what I need. I'll start by making some levels.

Thanks!

CharlesTokyo wrote:

I kind of had the same problem with my Retrospective 7. One of my older TT bags, I think the UD35 came with dividers that had a row of the soft Velcro side where you could stick one of the ends folded over. (Think of something similar to silence feature on the bag) That way I could attach one side, but leave lose on the other. That way I can use it as a divider, but still get at the bottom lens easily. You can probably buy some Velcro and do the same thing with the included dividers. Sorry if I didn't explain it well.

Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Makinations
Like?
In reply to AntnioGM, Aug 21, 2012

Hi,

Thanks. I've the bag and I can see there is plenty of volume. Just trying to sort out how to arrange it.

One of the irritating things is that it looks like what I'll want to do with the E-M5 is not what I'll want to do with the E-M5 with the battery grip on.

They certainly give me enough parts to do what I want.

Thanks!

AntnioGM wrote:

Hello.

I don't have theE-M5, but I've been using my E-P3 with VF3 (about the same volume of the E-M5) on a Retrospective 5. I have now, the 14-42, 14-150 and 17mm, plus a spare battery. With this gear, I still have enough space for at least two other lenses.

I also used it with the E1 and 14-54, The E620 with two other lenses, and the Nikon D300 and the 16-85, plus the Nikon 35mm 1.8.

So, you can be sure that your E-M5 will fit whithout any problem.

António GM
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91908602@N00/

Makinations
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Aug 21, 2012

That's one of the ideas I've been thinking of. I'll see if I can organize it first. Failing that I'll go to the "big room" approach.

sgoldswo wrote:

I have one of these that I use for weekend shooting as it's so small. I put all of my lenses in pouches in the bag except for the one on the camera (I'll usually put a smaller lens like the PL 25 or Oly 12 on the camera). I put my camera (E-M5) into one of the sections and use the other two to store lenses.

In terms of how many lenses can you carry, it depends on the size of the lenses you want to take with you. Bigger lenses like the 7-14 or 75-300 can fill a section by themselves whereas you can carry at least 5 smaller lenses. I found a place on eBay that sells small sheepskin lens cases for leica lenses. Nothing amazing (in fact a bit cheap) but they do the job and are a bit smaller than the cases that Oly sell.

Makinations
Like?
In reply to Ajohnw, Aug 21, 2012

I'll have to keep it in mind. But I just blew $140 on the thinktank so I'll work that out first.

Thanks!

Ajohnw wrote:

I've been having bag problems too. For plenty of room and lenses in pouches there is a suitable Troop London shoulder bag. I think it's the olympic - on an amazon uk review some one mentions using it as a camera bag and some one else complains it's too stiff. It's made of very heavy canavas. Water runs off but I doubt if it's totally water proof.

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these but they won't blend in like an ordinary shoulder bag.

http://www.flyyeindustries.com/ArticleShow.asp?ProdID=0186

This one should be water proof - military grade cordura.

On the cheap there is heavy guage cordura gas mask bag on ebay uk. Amazingly cheap. Might suit do it yourself people. It's too deep for 4/3 really. Lunch and mac in the bottom? The cover fastening is manic and the strap too narrow but for a few quid? The cover fastening is way over the top. Velco and a press stud. If for germ warfare the user would be dead before opening it. Easy to remove some/all velcro though,

Also tried the far east leather pen bag. Not too bad but camera and another lens doesn't fit in well really. Only just. It's not badly made though and would be better without the viewfinder on the camera - no good for om.

Also tried a crumpler muffin 3000. Not big enough for a pen and another lens again really.

Also a smaller canvas shoulder bag for just the camera and one other lens. Used it on 2 days and it's too fiddly but ok. It's a simple one over 100mm wide and no extra pockets to speak of. Much thinner guage canvas than troop.

Just weakened and bought the flyye. Tip - cheaper on amazon than ebay.

I've decided to keep the charger and leads and a few other similar things not needed to shoot in a separate zip up bag once I find a suitable one eg small leather ladies make up bag etc.

John

Makinations
Like?
In reply to mpresley, Aug 21, 2012

Hella cheaper than what I bought.

Thanks!

mpresley wrote:

I just picked up one of these, made by Wenger. It fits the E-M5 with the 12-50, 45, & 25 inside, three batteries, charger in the side pouch, iPad in the back slot... and could fit another small lens. not as heavy as the think tank bags ( I have the Retrospective 10) but built well enough.

http://www.wengerna.com/zinc-dslr-camera-messenger-bag-12315

-- hide signature --

Not a pro, just a Granddad with to much camera gear

Makinations
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Aug 21, 2012

I'm trying to stuff a 9-18, 20, 25, 14-42, and 40-150 in the bag. Plus the e-m5 with grip and maybe my flash. It should all go. Just be a bit tight.

Edit: I forgot the 45mm. It needs to hold that.

Gregm61 wrote:

Makinations wrote:

I took my E-P3+VF2, 12, 25 and 45 prime combination to Paris in the Retrospective 5 bag. Worked great with the 25 on the body and one lens either side with the camera+VF2+25 in the center section, face down.

The E-M5 is shorter than the E-P3+VF2 so works even better in the Retrospective 5 if the goal is carrying a three lens outfit. If I want to go with a more versatile outfit, the 9-18 and 75-300 can replace the 12 and 45 primes and it still all fits in the bag easily.

If I want to carry more than three lenses I move up to the Retrospective 7, where I can easily carry both more lenses and an FL600R or FL50R flash and lots of extra stuff.

The shoulder straps on these bags are as comfortable as I have used.

Greg

-- hide signature --

Makinations
Like?
In reply to YeoHoon Bae, Aug 21, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the insight. The longer lenses are the ones screwing me at the moment.

Thanks!

YeoHoon Bae wrote:

• E-M5

• Oly 9-18mm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads