companion camera for xz1

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions
anniejohn
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
companion camera for xz1
Aug 19, 2012

Hi

I'm sold on the XZ1 (or the XZ-2, depending on what's added/changed), but I'm wondering. If I buy the xz1 as new camera upgrade to take good shots of my 10month old, should I also buy a DSLR at the same time? If so, which one? I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, which is on sale now locally. It's HUGE so I don't know that I'd carry it around much, but I don't know of a good one that's smaller.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

AJ

Nikon D3100 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?
Re: companion camera for xz1
In reply to anniejohn, Aug 19, 2012

only few years ago the difference between quality image from small camera and dslr were quite astronomical so there was no question, you either got dslr or suffer with small sensor noisy images.

this isn't true anymore, now you really need to have reason to own dslr. Most small mirrorless cameras like m43 produce quality that is far above most of the owner needs and abilities.

i would avoid buying dslr unless you are 100% convinced. i have many dslrs and for a year or so they are just catching dust. i use x100 and xpro1 and have no longer any intention to even pick dslr from the shelf. I use xz-1 as a pocket/backup camera, with good light it is quite brilliant.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PON307G
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to anniejohn, Aug 20, 2012

AJ,

With a young child I would be thinking cost, and video first. Right now the XZ1 can be purchased at a very good price, but for your needs I would also recommend you look at the Nikon Coolpix P310. It also has a fast lens, I know jpeg only, but for sharing images and video with your family that may be all you need. And, a better price.

Regards,

Larry C.

PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-E1
anniejohn
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Aug 20, 2012

Hi,

I should specify that I have two cheap, very very old digital cameras. One is the Olympus C-60 (with which I've managed to capture some quite nice shots) and the Sony cybershot t-10 (which is great for the pocket, but most of the pictures look a bit fuzzy to me). So I'm looking for an upgrade, which is why I was considering a dslr. But the xz1...everyone raves and I have to say that the pocket size is quite nice. I'll look at the 310.

AJ

linux99
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?

The xz-1 (or any of the point and shoot cameras on the market today - inc the Coolpix P310) is not going to give you fast enough auto focus to track a toddler moving around a room.

That's the big problem with taking pics of kids - they move. Lots.

You are going to need something like a DSLR. However I get the feeling you'd like something which is "purse friendly" in terms of size.

Rather than getting both a DSLR and a P&S had you considered a micro 4/3 camera?

The epl-2 is very cheap these days (it's not the latest model so they are being sold off by all of the major chains - check B&H or Adorama).

If you couple this with a reasonably fast prime lens as well as the kit lens (say the Panasonic 14/2.5 or the 20/1.7) then you will have something which is pocketable, does focus fast enough to track kids and gives better image quality than a P&S.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,132Gear list
Like?

i have both xz1 and a k7 that ive been using for a while, just picked up a fz150 lumix. and would choose it over both for your purpose, fast, pic quality of the slr, great video.

cheers don

anniejohn
Like?
In reply to linux99, Aug 20, 2012

HI,

I had been looking at the epl2, actually. It's one of my options. But sizes are hard to judge over the internet so it's hard for me to know what they would be like--i live in a rural area. pretty much my only options are best buy and costco. the tiny camera shop here doens't have many options. Is it smaller than the d3100?

AJ

anniejohn
Like?
In reply to Donald B, Aug 20, 2012

The fz150 looks fabulous. but I just picked up the xz1 on the amazon lightning deal for 279. I suppose I could take it back, but everyone seems to just love it. what do you think about both? OR would the d3100 be a better second option? Not sure what to do...

Paul T.
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?

At $279, and from Amazon, you've got yourself an excellent camera at a bargain price. Stop looking and stop thinking ... Just start taking lots and lots of pictures of your 10-month child.

Paul.

Paul T.'s gear list:Paul T.'s gear list
Olympus SZ-31MR iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
anniejohn
Like?
In reply to Paul T., Aug 20, 2012

Thanks Paul!

I know it's a great camera, but I also have heard of it's limitations, like that it's slow to autofocus and such. People here keep urging me to get a dslr, saying that it's really the only way to get quality shots. So I've been up and down about it. I just have a feeling about this camera, as one I'll always have around, but I'm thinking of getting a second one, for really nice shots, when I can manage to carry a larger camera--particularly now, since I got this one at such a steal.

AJ

MyMini
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

I just got the xz-1 from Amazon's lightning deal as well. Been tracking the price of this for a while.. It may have a few shortcomings, but for the price, its a no-brainer. Not too mention that dp gave it a gold star rating. I have a 2yr old and use my DSLR for certain needs, but i'm thinking i'd probably use this xz-1 more because of its portability and PQ rivals most of the high end P&S out there, if not better..

Paul T.
Like?

anniejohn wrote:

Thanks Paul!

I know it's a great camera, but I also have heard of it's limitations, like that it's slow to autofocus and such.

It's a great size. It takes absolutely marvellous (or, in the U.S., marvelous) pictures - just look at the images being posted daily in this forum.

People here keep urging me to get a dslr, saying that it's really the only way to get quality shots.

You'll get the very best quality shots with the XZ-1 just by pressing that shutter button and taking lots and lots of pictures. You then just pick the best ones and discard the rest!

... but I'm thinking of getting a second one, for really nice shots, when I can manage to carry a larger camera--particularly now, since I got this one at such a steal.

Use the XZ-1 for a month and THEN consider whether you would have used a DSLR (or a bridge camera) on ANY of those occasions. My bet is on NO. This forum is full of posts from very experienced photographers whose DSLRs are gathering dust because they have discovered the freedom of the smaller cameras.

Paul.

Olympus SZ-31MR iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
anniejohn
Like?

Thanks Paul,

I'm sure that's great advice. My local store has a good deal on a camera with some lenses now, with a 90 return policy, but I have to buy soon. Maybe I'll just buy the nikon 3100 and then if I don't end up thinking I need it, I can always return it in November.

anniejohn
Like?
In reply to MyMini, Aug 20, 2012

Hi, Could you please say what dslr you have, and what times or situations you find you need to use it with your toddler? that's exactly what I'm facing so it would be very very helpful to know how you've solved the problem and what advice you'd give me.
thanks in advance,
AJ

photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?

If you think the Nikon D3100 is huge, I'm not sure any DSLR would make you happy. That said, I have the Pentax K-5 and it is one of the smaller DSLRs out there. The body has shake reduction which helps considerably. The other more important aspect of purchasing a DSLR is the lens selection (and expense). Lenses are arguably more important than camera body these days. For indoor/low light shooting without a flash, you'll need "fast glass" as well which is also expensive. If you stick with the kit lens in such circumstances you likely won't get any better pics than you do with the most wonderful Oly XZ-1. Outside in bright daylight, just about any camera these days can produce lovely results. See what the XZ-1 can do for you and then decide if you need to supplement with another type of camera. At that point you'll know what you actually need the gear to do (what specific types of shots are you missing with the XZ-1) and therefore can shop accordingly.

good luck!
sue

photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-A1
Paul T.
Like?

anniejohn wrote:

Thanks Paul,

I'm sure that's great advice. My local store has a good deal on a camera with some lenses now, with a 90 return policy, but I have to buy soon. Maybe I'll just buy the nikon 3100 and then if I don't end up thinking I need it, I can always return it in November.

Sigh .....

Paul.

anniejohn
Like?

Sigh?

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to upset you. I guess maybe that's not a good idea... Maybe I'll just take your original advice. I just thought this way I could cover my bases. Hey. while I have you. do you recommend, as many people have, getting the LC-63A lens cap and a fill flash for indoor shots (and if so, which one)?

Paul T.
Like?

anniejohn wrote:

Sigh?

... Hey. while I have you. do you recommend, as many people have, getting the LC-63A lens cap and a fill flash for indoor shots (and if so, which one)?

Use the camera for a couple of weeks and you'll know whether you need either. But, you WILL need a few decent 45Mb/s Class 10 SD cards.

Paul.

Donald B
Like?

anniejohn wrote:

The fz150 looks fabulous. but I just picked up the xz1 on the amazon lightning deal for 279. I suppose I could take it back, but everyone seems to just love it. what do you think about both? OR would the d3100 be a better second option? Not sure what to do...

I would stick with the xz1, its compact and its just as fast to focus as an slr. mine is with me all the time. the pic quality is great out of camera ive printed to a1 no problems, the vf 2 is great out in the sun and was a must have for me. It just doesnt have the reach anymore for me and my 9 year old daughter at the parks or beach.

cheers don

Donald B
Like?

As above. just use the on camera flash, as the xz1 has such a bright lens you will be surprised. the on camera flash is great for fill out doors as well just to pop some light on the shadows.

cheers don

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads