Z-990 problem

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,633
Like?
Z-990 problem
Aug 19, 2012

Todays plan was to use the z-990 to take some pictures at a birthday party.

Put in a fresh set of Enloop's and put the "Kodak" batteries on charge.

Camera will not power up.

Put the Kodak batteries back in, still no power.

Put in a fresh set of Energizer AA, still no power

I made sure the batteries are in correctly.

Camera worked two days ago, been in the cabinet since then.

Any tips on what to do next? Is there a reset button?

This is a factory refurb that I got last May. I have up till now, had good luck with factory refurbs, but they do not carry much of a warranty.
Paul

chiue
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,186Gear list
Like?
Re: Z-990 problem
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 20, 2012

Paul,

Sorry to hear what happened to your Z990.

You have done the right approach. Look like the Z990 is due. I have no suggestion and may be keep on trying. Hopefully it will come fire back up again.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 Zx3
Kodak Digital Cameras Galleries
http://www.wix.com/chiuestar/Kodak-DC

chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak DX6440 Kodak DX7590 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare V803 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulM2
Like?
In reply to chiue, Aug 20, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

I looked around on the INTERNET and found a site where you can ask a question. Cost $16 to ask.

Found another repair site where you enter in what you have done to attempt a fix. It came back with a price of $118 for a evaluation, plus shipping.

I bought this camera last April/May as a factory refurbished. Only paid $119 with free shipping, so to pay $118 for an evaluation is out of the question.

I intend to just shelve the camera until I find one from ebay etc., that has suffered a drop or is other wise in broken condition. Then try taking my z-990 camera apart and swap some parts.

I suspect that I will find a blown fuse/resistor some place.

If you have the time take a look at my pbase at http://www.pbase.com/paulm2/root

where you will see that I have fooled a bit with the parts swap on Olympus cameras.

It is unfortunate that this has happened. I was just getting to that point where I understood the strong and weak points of this camera.

Paul

Blackbear
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?

Hi Paul,

Pity to hear your Z990 failed. As Chiue said you may keep trying.

Don't know whether you tried to let it sit for some days without batteries, to uncharge the circuitry. Worth a try perhaps?
Hope you can get it to work again!

-- hide signature --

Mart

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away.

Kodak DX7590, Z980, P880, C875, P850, M583
( Lumix TZ5, my wife)

Blackbear's gear list:Blackbear's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak DC290 Kodak DC3400 Kodak DC4800 Kodak EasyShare C875 +7 more
PaulM2
Like?
In reply to Blackbear, Aug 20, 2012

Thanks for looking and your reply.

I have had the batteries out for almost a day. Just tried the batteries again and still a no-go.

In the past with a few of the Olympus cameras, on a certain model they had a condition that was dubbed "Sudden Death Syndrome". It was finally solved with different fuse/resistors, a 10 cent part, but many dollars to fix.

Some day, probably this winter, I will open the camera and trace the power. Hope its just a fuse and not a circuit board.

Again, thanks for your tip.

Paul

wkay
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
beware the hi voltage photoflash capacitor

if you pull a camera update, these will store high voltage 500v+ for a long time and can give quite a shock. The cap is physically quite large, look for it in a bulge in the case, if you see two wire coming out short the ends together at the pcb connection, will gvie quite a spark and a bang.

You can look for a loose connector, after that probably the micro is dead and not repairable. Yeah, these pay to ask a question and eval are a total ripoff as neither will result in your camera getting repaired.

DC Alford
DC Alford MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 22, 2012

Sorry to hear about your Z990 problems Paul.

The only thing I can think of is to double check the battery door to make sure it's closing properly, it's kind of fiddly & there may be a small switch there that the battery door presses when it's fully closed.

I know it sounds far fetched but that battery door can be a real bugger sometimes.
I don't have my z990 anymore or I would check it out .

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Dan.

DC Alford's gear list:DC Alford's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD950 IS Nikon Coolpix P3 +1 more
PaulM2
Like?
In reply to DC Alford, Aug 22, 2012

Thanks for the tips.

I have checked the camera over as far as I can see from the outside.

I did notice that there is some kind of switch or reset just to the left of the SD card slot. It is on the body side of the battery compartment. The door itself has a protrusion (?) that when closed I think depresses this button???

Any way the camera is still dead.

My plan is to keep looking for a z-990 that has been mechanical damaged (drop?) that I can practice taking apart and also maybe find a part to fix mine. After buying mine cheap, sending it to a repair shop at $118 +shipping both ways for just an evaluation is out of the realm of being practical.

Back in 2001/2002 Olympus came out with the classic-2100uz (UZI). They encountered a run of cameras starting with a certain serial number that had a very similar problem. It was refereed to as "Sudden Death Syndrome". It was traced to under performing fuse-resistors in the power supply. Cameras still in warranty were fixed by Olympus, others found their way to Ebay. I have bought a few of them for their other parts that are no longer available.

Wonder id Kodak has this problem? Be interested to find if others have the same problem.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Paul

chiue
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 23, 2012

PaulM2 wrote:

I did notice that there is some kind of switch or reset just to the left of the SD card slot. It is on the body side of the battery compartment. The door itself has a protrusion (?) that when closed I think depresses this button???

I don't see any kind of switch or button in the battery compartment or surround area.
There is a latch thing on the battery door to lock the door.

Unlike the DX6440 and C875 there is actually a switch when you insert the Kodak KAA2HR battery, it will depress the switch and allow in-camera changing with a dock.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 Zx3
Kodak Digital Cameras Galleries
http://www.wix.com/chiuestar/Kodak-DC

chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak DX6440 Kodak DX7590 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare V803 +4 more
PaulM2
Like?
In reply to chiue, Aug 25, 2012

The z-990 remains totally dead, so no more original posts from me.

I bought the z-990 as a Kodak Reub, only paid $119 for it, so it was not a lot of money lost, but 4 months of service kind of bugs me.

I an quite certain that some electrical component has failed when I turned the camera to on the last time, probably a fuse.

With Kodak's present status and now their selling off all the consumer film business, their service department has also taken a hit. A phone call gets you to a non native English speaking person, INDIA? MEXICO?

I received no help. Looked into a few of the INTERNET repair shops, pretty much all the same price for an evaluation (around $120), you pay the shipping both ways. Notice that this is for an evaluation, not the repair.

So yesterday, I got all the tools out. screw drivers, high intensity lights, a pad to lay the camera on and a old glass ash tray for those little screws. Took the camera back off, following some directions found on the INTERNET, removed the LCD and by this time I had decided that I was getting no place as to follow the path of battery power.

The camera is very complex in its construction and having no repair parts anyways, I put every thing back together, touched up the screw heads with a flat black paint pen ( hide my taking it apart).

Took the SD card and batteries and put them away in my supply box. The camera presently is in a camera case, but I think I will also salvage this case and put the camera out for a display item on a shelf some place here at the apartment.

Being originally from Rochester, NY, I feel very sad that Kodak continues with its very slow death.

I have enjoyed meeting many of you here at this forum and wish you all good luck shooting with your Kodak gear. Treat it with care.
Paul

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 25, 2012

PaulM2 wrote:

The z-990 remains totally dead, so no more original posts from me.

. . .

Took the SD card and batteries and put them away in my supply box. The camera presently is in a camera case, but I think I will also salvage this case and put the camera out for a display item on a shelf some place here at the apartment.

Being originally from Rochester, NY, I feel very sad that Kodak continues with its very slow death.

I have enjoyed meeting many of you here at this forum and wish you all good luck shooting with your Kodak gear. Treat it with care.

That's unfortunate but I know where you can get an inexpensive replacement Z-990. See PM if you're interested.

SW Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 31, 2012

You might try getting hold of an AC-to-DC power adapter, plug it in and see if the camera starts up that way. If it does, the problem is probably in the battery compartment or circuitry. Also if it starts up that way, you can rule out the on-off switch being bad. Adapters aren't that expensive, and if it's no help in this case might be of use on another camera or gadget at some future time.

Also, from what I understand, Kodak has said it will continue honoring warranties on all its products. If that's the case, even though your refurb 990 is out of warranty, you might be able to get it fixed through Kodak or whatever outfit the company contracts with for warranty repairs at a fairer price. I would contact Kodak and ask about this.

PaulM2
Like?
In reply to SW Anderson, Sep 1, 2012

SW Anderson wrote:

You might try getting hold of an AC-to-DC power adapter, plug it in and see if the camera starts up that way. If it does, the problem is probably in the battery compartment or circuitry. Also if it starts up that way, you can rule out the on-off switch being bad. Adapters aren't that expensive, and if it's no help in this case might be of use on another camera or gadget at some future time.

I do not find any place on the z-990 to plug a power adapter into. A search for a power adapter on the INTERNET does not show any listing for the z-990.

Good idea though.

Also, from what I understand, Kodak has said it will continue honoring warranties on all its products. If that's the case, even though your refurb 990 is out of warranty, you might be able to get it fixed through Kodak or whatever outfit the company contracts with for warranty repairs at a fairer price. I would contact Kodak and ask about this.

I checked with Kodak (I think it was far east INDIA ) The gal there told me , providing I heard her right, to try a URL, which got me to a site where to ask a question from a Tech person, it was $16 per question. I did not need for my $16, to have a person tell me that my batteries were dead. They in turn also offered for me to send the camera in for Evaluation, pre-bill my credit card for $118 for such a evaluation (not a fix) and I was responsible for shipping both ways, so for such an evaluation (its power dead) The total price was near what the camera is currently selling for.

In the past, I bought broken Olympus c-2100uz (UZI) from eBay. What was not broken on one became a parts camera for another.( I think I went thru 25 or so) The UZI is a classic, so I managed after a long time to give all my Nieces and Nephews a remembrance of Uncle Paul.I still have a large box of parts. Had fun doing it as well as it provided hours of past time for the winter months.

I have received another working z-990 from Billx08 here on this forum, so I am back in business again. Think I will put the dead z-990 away for the day in the future when Kodak parts are no longer available. It looks like new so it should make a great parts camera.

Thanks for your reply.
Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads