Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions
mwinter
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?
Aug 19, 2012

I have just bought my 7D and after upgrading the Firmware to version 2.0.0 I started the set up process.

I was keen to use the C1, C2 and C3 (Cx) functions for different styles. I had anticipated these being very useful indeed and expected to be able to set shooting mode (P, Tv, Av, etc) from the Q-screen. However, I find that I cannot set it from this screen and it is set at 'P', which is not what I want at all, and I can see no other way of setting shooting mode in Cx.

Also I quite like the viewfinder grids but find that Grid 1 and Grid 2 return the same grid (Grid 2 I think with 4 horizontal and six vertical lines, either only one option rather than two).

Am I missing something with the Cx modes or is there a major error in the firmware update?

Can anyone help with the Grid issue?

Is anyone experiencing the same problems and effects?

Hope you can help. Superb bit of kit, by the way, and looking forward to getting it properly set up so that I can start the on the learning curve to exploiting its fuller capabilities.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mwinter
Like?
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?
In reply to mwinter, Aug 19, 2012

Ok, the Grid issue is clearly one to put down to experience.

I have since discovered that the grid options relate to Live View mode and that the VF Grid Display (3 horzxontal and five vertical, as opposed to 4/6 in my original post) has just the one option in the 'normal' viewfinder'.

I do hope that someone can help me with a similarly simple answer to my other, much more critical query, regarding setting shooting mode in C1, C2 and C3.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,143Gear list
Like?

I had heard of the problems with C1 , C2 , and C3 , so I have not upgraded yet . I shoot mostly for DOF , so focusing is not as critical as someone who want the bokeh .
I try to stay in the 5.6 / F 8 range

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
anttitapani
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?

You need to be in the specific mode (Av, Tv, M ...) if you want to register that in C1, C2 or C3.

-- hide signature --
 anttitapani's gear list:anttitapani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +3 more
tonyjr
Like?
In reply to anttitapani, Aug 19, 2012

I mainly use TV and AV modes .
It is really nice to switch to the / a C mode and have it set up .

Since I have only printed about 10 shots in 30 years over 8.5 X 11 , I think I would be better off with C modes than a little better focusing .

Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
snappey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
No problem (Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?)

(nt)

mwinter
Like?
In reply to anttitapani, Aug 19, 2012

anttitapani wrote:

You need to be in the specific mode (Av, Tv, M ...) if you want to register that in C1, C2 or C3.

Many thanks anttipani - this is just a little bit counter intuitive (to me) but it certainly works and I am very grateful for your input.

To be very clear to anybody equally as confused as I was. Set the dial to the required shooting mode and then register C1, C2, C3 - this sets the shooting mode to the Cx and you can then proceed to makeall of the other settings including Custom Settings before registering again to save these.

Grateful thanks to you as neither the Canon manual nor aftermarket books articulate this at all, let alone clearly.

To conclude

I paticularly like the ability to restrict the upper range of the auto-ISO.

tonyjr - the problem was one of my ignorance and not of the firmware.

-- hide signature --
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
In reply to mwinter, Aug 20, 2012

mwinter wrote:

anttitapani wrote:

Many thanks anttipani - this is just a little bit counter intuitive (to me) but it certainly works and I am very grateful for your input.

To be very clear to anybody equally as confused as I was. Set the dial to the required shooting mode and then register C1, C2, C3 - this sets the shooting mode to the Cx and you can then proceed to makeall of the other settings including Custom Settings before registering again to save these.

Grateful thanks to you as neither the Canon manual nor aftermarket books articulate this at all, let alone clearly.

To conclude

I paticularly like the ability to restrict the upper range of the auto-ISO.

tonyjr - the problem was one of my ignorance and not of the firmware.

-- hide signature --

I'm fairly sure this behaviour is accurately described in the camera manual. Thats how I found out how to do it.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
tonyjr
Like?
Re: No problem (Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?)
In reply to snappey, Aug 20, 2012

So there is no problem with upgrade concerning the C modes ?

Since I normally shoot at F 5.6 / F 8 - focusing has not been a problem - or maybe it was and I just am not good enough to see it .

By the way - has anyone else been able to get a burst of 12 shots with a sandish 32 - 6o mb ? With the 30 mb , I was stuck at 6 burst shots - RAW + JPEG .

KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536
Like?
In reply to mwinter, Aug 20, 2012

I installed the new firmware and checked it out briefly but haven't really used it. I haven't used my 7D much since I got my 5D3. Did they change the behaviour of the C modes? I never found them very useful on the 7D because they revert back to the stored setting when the 7D "goes to sleep", or when you change to a different mode. I very much prefer the way the C modes work on the 5D3. If you change any of the settings while shooting in one of the C modes, it retains those setting when it goes to sleep, and it updates the stored C mode setting when you switch modes. I think you can change the way that last part works, so that it doesn't update the stored settings when you change modes, but I prefer to have it update the stored settings.

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,828
Like?
Re: No problem (Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?)
In reply to tonyjr, Aug 20, 2012

tonyjr wrote:

By the way - has anyone else been able to get a burst of 12 shots with a sandish 32 - 6o mb ? With the 30 mb , I was stuck at 6 burst shots - RAW + JPEG .

I even got bursts of up to 18 shots with a similar card after the update...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

GammyKnee
Regular MemberPosts: 490
Like?
In reply to KatManDEW, Aug 20, 2012

I would blummin' love to have C1-C3 working like that. Nice to know that Canon have finally implemented it that way, albeit not on my 7D.

anttitapani
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
Check your high ISO setting...
In reply to tonyjr, Aug 20, 2012

and choose a lower setting.

-- hide signature --
 anttitapani's gear list:anttitapani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +3 more
KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536
Like?
In reply to GammyKnee, Aug 20, 2012

GammyKnee wrote:

I would blummin' love to have C1-C3 working like that. Nice to know that Canon have finally implemented it that way, albeit not on my 7D.

It's a wonderful thing. My two main C modes are manual exposure modes, which I regularly tweak throughout long shooting sessions. Having it default back to the saved settings when it goes to sleep, or when I change modes, pretty much renders it useless for me personally. I didn't know about the different operation of C modes with the 5D3 when I got it, and I was very plesantly suprised.

p4pictures
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to KatManDEW, Aug 20, 2012

I have set my C modes up so that they have longer auto power off settings on the 7D. This means that the camera doesn't go to sleep as quickly in the C mode.

Basically set the auto power off time to say 8 minutes then, register the C mode, then put the power off back to your "usual" settings.

I've done this to make a 7D more suited to studio work by having it also switch the aperture to the main dial and the shutter speed to the rear dial. Then you can set a shutter speed and lock it using the rear switch.

However now with 5D3 new approach of auto-update is great and a welcome unexpected improvement.

p4pictures's gear list:p4pictures's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +11 more
wuzzittoya
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to p4pictures, Aug 21, 2012

I did the firmware upgrade recently and while shooting on vacation with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II lens the camera locked up twice. Both times the back screen switched to Q mode and nothing would work (including the on/off switch). I sent a message to Canon tech support and they are telling me the only fix for this is to send it back to the factory...

Isn't there anywhere where the old firmware would be available to change it back, at least temporarily, or reinstall the firmware upgrade in case something was corrupted in the file? It is the only thing changed and the first time I've ever had a problem with the camera.

photojohne
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
In reply to wuzzittoya, Aug 21, 2012

wuzzittoya wrote:

I did the firmware upgrade recently and while shooting on vacation with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II lens the camera locked up twice. Both times the back screen switched to Q mode and nothing would work (including the on/off switch). I sent a message to Canon tech support and they are telling me the only fix for this is to send it back to the factory...

Isn't there anywhere where the old firmware would be available to change it back, at least temporarily, or reinstall the firmware upgrade in case something was corrupted in the file? It is the only thing changed and the first time I've ever had a problem with the camera.

I have heard that if you download earlier versions of EOS Utility and then use that to install earlier version of firmware it will work, the Newest version of EOS Utility will not let you do it
--
WSSA # 165
http://www.johneasterly.com

photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,612
Like?
In reply to KatManDEW, Aug 21, 2012

KatManDEW wrote:

I installed the new firmware and checked it out briefly but haven't really used it. I haven't used my 7D much since I got my 5D3. Did they change the behaviour of the C modes? I never found them very useful on the 7D because they revert back to the stored setting when the 7D "goes to sleep", or when you change to a different mode. I very much prefer the way the C modes work on the 5D3. If you change any of the settings while shooting in one of the C modes, it retains those setting when it goes to sleep, and it updates the stored C mode setting when you switch modes. I think you can change the way that last part works, so that it doesn't update the stored settings when you change modes, but I prefer to have it update the stored settings.

This is really good news. I've been moaning about this on and off since my 40D, and of course the 7D didn't fix it.

Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,612
Like?
In reply to mwinter, Aug 21, 2012

mwinter wrote:

anttitapani wrote:

That's still not right. All you have to do is make all your settings - mode dial together with all the usual camera settings from aperture and shutter speed right down to custom functions - exactly as you would in normal use; then use the menu to Register all that to C1, C2 or C3. You don't have to do it in two stages as you describe.

Actually is is correctly described in the manual - see page 229/230 if you have the latest version of the manual or 223/224 in the older (firmware 1.x.x) version.

I think the real problem is the sheer quantity of information you have to assimilate with a new 7D!

Croomrider
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Aug 21, 2012

That's still not right. All you have to do is make all your settings - mode dial together with all the usual camera settings from aperture and shutter speed right down to custom functions - exactly as you would in normal use; then use the menu to Register all that to C1, C2 or C3. You don't have to do it in two stages as you describe.

What you say is certainly correct. However, if there is a delay before you save the settings to the custom button, everything you did will be reset if the camera goes into standby mode. This is also true if you make changes while in one of the custom modes and do not re-save the change. When the camera is turned on or wakes up from standby mode, all of the custom functions are reset to the values when last saved. Consequently, when I do an update that I want to remain effective to a custom mode, I try to save it ASAP so that it is not lost. This behavior does not apply to the standard modes. They will retain the state they were in when the camera is turned off or goes into standby. I have not tried the V2 firmware yet, and am assuming this was not changed!

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads