1DX Does Polo

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions
thenibster
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
1DX Does Polo
Aug 19, 2012

And does it well!!

Easily the best machine for sports photography, that I have ever used (in my opinion).

Here she is paired with the 300mm f/2.8 II. I do find myself missing the crop factor from the 1DIV, slightly, but only for long field sports.

The good news is by simply adding the 1.4 III extender brings nearly the exact same reach back. Of course one does loose 1 stop of light, giving a 420mm f/4.0 equivalent lens. But I'm very happy to report almost no loss in optical quality, and very very little difference in AF performance.

Any opinions of the photo?

Nibby

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
Re: 1DX Does Polo
In reply to thenibster, Aug 19, 2012

Nice image..How much are the 1Dxs in Switzerland?

Can you recommend good on line shops?

thenibster wrote:

And does it well!!

Easily the best machine for sports photography, that I have ever used (in my opinion).

Here she is paired with the 300mm f/2.8 II. I do find myself missing the crop factor from the 1DIV, slightly, but only for long field sports.

The good news is by simply adding the 1.4 III extender brings nearly the exact same reach back. Of course one does loose 1 stop of light, giving a 420mm f/4.0 equivalent lens. But I'm very happy to report almost no loss in optical quality, and very very little difference in AF performance.

Nibby

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thenibster
Like?
In reply to jhal, Aug 19, 2012

Thanks.

They retail at 7000CHF. But with CPS membership they normally sell for 6500CHF. That's about £4500, or $6800 USD.

I'd recommend 'Foto Video Zumstein', in Bern.

jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?

that's a good price..do they provide the discount to CH CPS members only?

I'll google them

thenibster wrote:

Thanks.

They retail at 7000CHF. But with CPS membership they normally sell for 6500CHF. That's about £4500, or $6800 USD.

I'd recommend 'Foto Video Zumstein', in Bern.

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
325xia
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
In reply to jhal, Aug 19, 2012

Very nice. How much cropping did you do?

325xia's gear list:325xia's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
thenibster
Like?
In reply to 325xia, Aug 19, 2012

I didn't actually crop this picture at all.

I took it in a rather odd position though - half squatting down, half laying down to get a better than Eye-Level perspective. And as a result of this took the picture around 15˚ wonky.
So I just straightened it.

325xia
Like?

Really nicely done without cropping. Rarely do I have a picture that doesn't need some sort of cropping. You shot vertically and with great composition. Top shutter speed and narrowest DOF. I love my 1DX. I have not been to an event with it yet. This inspires me.

thenibster wrote:

I didn't actually crop this picture at all.

I took it in a rather odd position though - half squatting down, half laying down to get a better than Eye-Level perspective. And as a result of this took the picture around 15˚ wonky.
So I just straightened it.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,733Gear list
Like?

Nice composition but the colouring looks artificial with the magenta way too bright?
It almost looks like a scene from a fairy tale movie.

Greg.

AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Aug 20, 2012

Agree, this pic has some really strange blue effects, presumably this is from post, not OOC?

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to AC1, Aug 20, 2012

AC1 wrote:

Agree, this pic has some really strange blue effects, presumably this is from post, not OOC?

Over enthusiastic use of the saturation slider. A curse of the modern times, more must be better, natural is so last Century.
Great picture all the same.

Kevin.

thenibster
Like?
In reply to 325xia, Aug 20, 2012

Thank you!

thenibster
Like?
In reply to KAllen, Aug 20, 2012

Kevin,

Whilst I do agree the colour is slightly off (note the picture name is version 2, I've made several versions with slightly different colour), it looks pretty good my end, on a Retina Display MacBook Pro.

The colour output direct from this camera is very different to previous generation Canon cameras, closer to the D3s than any Canon, in my opinion! And I am still trying to get the perfect settings.

It's also worth noting that is very colourful and hot day! The skies were extremely blue, and the grass extremely green.

I've not increased the saturation of the picture at all, from the RAW file. I've increased the Vibrancy to 0.36 in Aperture, but that's all I've done to the colour, just to try to do justice to the amazing day in the Swiss Alps!

Thanks for your comments.

Nick

KAllen wrote:

AC1 wrote:

Over enthusiastic use of the saturation slider. A curse of the modern times, more must be better, natural is so last Century.
Great picture all the same.

Kevin.

ellover009
Contributing MemberPosts: 791
Like?
In reply to thenibster, Aug 20, 2012

I like it a lot, the dof is really good, it's like the horse is running in front of a background and he pops out.

325xia
Like?

Do you like the color output of the 1DX?

thenibster wrote:

The colour output direct from this camera is very different to previous generation Canon cameras, closer to the D3s than any Canon, in my opinion! And I am still trying to get the perfect .

jffielde
Regular MemberPosts: 301
Like?

I love the photo. I like the slightly surreal colors of the background. They nicely contrast the foreground subject.

I do notice a perhaps unavoidable slight "haloing" effect in the background treeline, perhaps from the saturation / vibrance / color processing, but it doesn't affect my overall impression of this excellent image.

thenibster
Like?
In reply to 325xia, Aug 20, 2012

Yes. I love the colour from this machine.

The Canon 1Div was very similar to the 1Diii, in terms of how you'd process the RAW images. The 1DX is not. It's a very different work flow to get use to.

I mentioned in a previous thread how it compares to the other cameras I use. The 1Dx comes out on top, by a clear margin, in my opinion. Auto Focus, Colour reproduction, image noise, it really is stella. Obviously it lacks the resolution of the Leica S2, but do my customers notice that difference in their images? No, is simply the answer there.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42188185

VivaLasVegas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?

Well done composition, would a landscape orientation be better?

VivaLasVegas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?
In reply to VivaLasVegas, Aug 20, 2012

No.....probably not. Portrait orientation is best.

TheAe
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Horsing!
In reply to VivaLasVegas, Aug 21, 2012

This shot is missing a frame of arm pointing and body composure. Sure you can do better than this. The 1D X can do all action boy if executed.

Penguen
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to thenibster, Aug 26, 2012

Nice picture!

If you like Polo, have a look at this:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1108889
Well it is beach polo actually..

thenibster wrote:

And does it well!!

Nibby

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads