Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Frustrated with this Forum's Photographic Examples
In reply to tashley, Aug 20, 2012

X2 on what Tim wrote

tashley wrote:

And I have repeatedly challenged you in particular to stop being so negative and either show some pictures yourself, or ignore the photo and request for critique threads.

Look back at your posting history. You are an unpleasant and pernicious influence on this forum, always complaining and sniping and never trying to add anything positive at all.

4x5 Guy wrote:

coudet wrote:

This is forum where people discuss technical aspects of our gear. So, that's exactly what it is used for.

Please. That's what the forum should be used for. But it has largely become a show and tell with terrible snaps, captures, etc being shown. The terminology used to describe the images is enough to tell you how they are perceived.

-- hide signature --

Gallery & Blog : http://www.timashley.com

-- hide signature --
 Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7 +31 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lisa O
Like?
Re: frustration
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Aug 20, 2012

I don't know about trap....You are so full of crap. I hope someone here outs you.
Who do you think you are....God?

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

Now that's a much better laid trap.

Anyway, another thing I think about with my work is that I have my own style. It's not neccessarily Dragan by any means; but it is my own style. And frankly I don't want people trying to emulate it. Also, for the most part, when I get so many insults from people who have hurt feelings over a forum they think they partially own or somehing, I really just don't think they deserve to see my work.

I used to share a bit here, long ago. But the thing I wish to avoid is being part of the army of clones. Everyone here thinks shallow depth of field is so amazing, and the bokeh is so beautiful; and I don't agree at all. But I do know that I have actually made a couple of people cry just from looking at my stuff, and maybe that's because it's so different from anything that's others are doing.

I'm not a clone. I'm not a follower. That's why you won't ever see my work. Because once it's out there, then everyone will want to do it. IT'S THE NEW HDR!!! LOok at this guy's work!

And then it's not MY work anymore. I've just collected all the clones to follow me.

So no thanks.
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

-- hide signature --
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
In reply to Lisa O, Aug 20, 2012

Lisa O wrote:

In a way.

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?

Lisa O wrote:

Let's see some of your images since you are such a critic.
You post stupid comments on this forum. Show your stuff.

The best movie critics in the world have never made a movie in their lives.

It's not that I don't have proof, I just don't think you deserve to be shown a better way of photography by seeing what I create.

Lisa O
Like?

Mr Biological_Viewfinder,

It seems as if you just come here to impress yourself. I have also noticed in some of your posts you are trying to impress one of your forum buddies with your supposed wit and criticism.

If Henri Cartier Bresson or Ansel Adams posted on these forums (from the other world) how wonderful their work was I would not believe them until I saw samples of their work. Your posts are not constructive. People come to dpreview to learn and share. They do not come here to say “Hey I’m the best. Look at my stuff and tell me I’m a master.”

There are no masters in photography everyone is a student even the “Pros”, even those with years of experience. If you are not learning you are losing out.

A productive forum member participates with constructive criticism and examples. If not their own work one can point to other photographers examples of how to be helpful.

Most people come here because they are enthusiasts and get joy out of making photographs and learning about photography. Saying it’s a pro forum is really incorrect. I think 80% if not more of the high end prosumer DSLRs are owned by those who do not derive most of their income from photography. In today’s economic climate it is the working photographer that can least afford the luxury of the +$3000 body.

I have been coming to these forums for over 10 years and it is people like you who discourage others from participating, enjoying and getting the most out of their experience here.
--
see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

InterestedParty
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?

Lisa O wrote:

I don't know about trap....You are so full of crap. I hope someone here outs you.

Please, "Of itself the human mind has no power greater than self deception.” And that runs in many directions. Rather than scorn, sadness and pity seem the more appropriate response for the mentality I assume you assume for he about whom I assume we are not speaking. Everyone is touched by this kind of flaw in some way or other. Eschew hubris, embrace reality bleakly and think, “There but for the grace of fill-in-the-blank go I.” Now feel lucky or blessed but not scornful. Finally, it profits one to be firm but kind.

That is my probably pointless plea.

Peace, Love, Hippy-beads, etc..

-- hide signature --

Honorifics bestowed thus far by DPR members, rattymouse: drooling moron ;

InterestedParty's gear list:InterestedParty's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
alan54g
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?

You know what... I'm still shooting with a D200 because I am poor. I am trying so hard to get the most out of my D200 untill I can upgrade to something that will give me more than just ISO 100 quality. I would love to have did I say LOVE a D800. I would be in heaven. I totally agree with what you are saying!

alan54g's gear list:alan54g's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Biological_Viewfinder
Like?
Liso O

Lisa O wrote:

It seems as if you just come here to impress yourself. I have also noticed in some of your posts you are trying to impress one of your forum buddies with your supposed wit and criticism.

If Henri Cartier Bresson or Ansel Adams posted on these forums (from the other world) how wonderful their work was I would not believe them until I saw samples of their work. Your posts are not constructive. People come to dpreview to learn and share. They do not come here to say “Hey I’m the best. Look at my stuff and tell me I’m a master.”

Bresson does not impress me and Ansel Adams wouldn’t have time for this place, he would be too busy actually taking pictures.

I don’t have to prove anything to you. I have a right to my own opinions, even when they do not mirror yours.

There are no masters in photography everyone is a student even the “Pros”, even those with years of experience. If you are not learning you are losing out.

There are still those who can create masterworks, those who do not consider them students any longer. They still learn, but they learn from the inside out, not outside in (like a student would learn).

A productive forum member participates with constructive criticism and examples. If not their own work one can point to other photographers examples of how to be helpful.

A productive forum member doesn’t say someone is “full of crap”. I didn’t personally offend you, and yet you personally insulted me.

I don’t have to be like most people. Most people are copycat clone followers, unable to craft anything from their own personal creativity unless they took a class or read it in a book or found it in a forum. I didn’t say it was a Pro Forum (and if I did, I meant what I’ve said in other places) it’s a PRO Camera Forum. If I have a question for Pros, there is a Pro Forum.

Most people come here because they are enthusiasts and get joy out of making photographs and learning about photography. Saying it’s a pro forum is really incorrect. I think 80% if not more of the high end prosumer DSLRs are owned by those who do not derive most of their income from photography. In today’s economic climate it is the working photographer that can least afford the luxury of the +$3000 body.

I have been coming to these forums for over 10 years and it is people like you who discourage others from participating, enjoying and getting the most out of their experience here.

Maybe you should make your own post to balance out mine and invite people to post their pictures of cats, dogs, goldfish, their kids, the flower in their backyard (complete with a partial house in the background), or any other kinds of snapshots. Then you could sort of negate my opinion with one of your own. That would be much more mature than insulting me, don’t you think?

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?
alan54g
In reply to alan54g, Aug 20, 2012

I would love for you to have a D800 too. You sound like someone who would take it seriously.

In the meantime, the D300 can be had for pretty cheap now. And that's a fairly good leap forward.
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ed_C
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,693
Like?
This is one of the funniest baiting threads ever.

Masterful job sir.
--
Ed C.

Lisa O
Like?
Re: Liso O

Your comments on this forum insult everyone on this forum. I don't post things as bait. I don't need this to validate me or my work. Your myopic view of the world is unimportant.

You have just shown how shallow you truly are by the title of the original post itself. My comment of you being full of crap an expression of that. You have no valid points.

Maybe you should make your own post to balance out mine and invite people to post their pictures of cats, dogs, goldfish, their kids, the flower in their backyard (complete with a partial house in the background), or any other kinds of snapshots. Then you could sort of negate my opinion with one of your own. That would be much more mature than insulting me, don’t you think?

-- hide signature --
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,784Gear list
Like?
I'm great. References: me.

Lisa O wrote:

Let's see some of your images since you are such a critic.
You post stupid comments on this forum. Show your stuff.

The best movie critics in the world have never made a movie in their lives.

This is the inevitable argument, but film critics, most art critics, many literary critics who are recognized and published all make pointed and detailed criticisms on the medium they cover. They have proven track records, are very well educated in their field (demonstrably so, nothing 'hidden'), and actually know what they're talking about.

Photography forum users like you do not fall into this category. Your writing style belies someone who does not provide any professional written criticism for a living. What's more, since the entry barriers into photography are very low compared to, say, film making, you (or anyone) who wants to criticize the work of others in a forum like this really can't use this excuse; you do take photos, you could easily share some to establish some level of bona fides.

It's not that I don't have proof, I just don't think you deserve to be shown a better way of photography by seeing what I create.

I don't think you have proof of any kind, really, which is why you will not attempt to provide any examples.

What we do know, from your own admission, is that 1) you shoot HDR, 2) you think it's somehow very unique and original, and different than other HDR, 3) you have presented your work here in the past and had it criticized in some way and to some degree that caused you to not want to show it any more.

Now, you say " I do great work. Trust me, I do, just ask me. I will not attempt to prove this, because none of you are worth that proof, and I suspect you may want to copy my incredibly original HDR work, so that's another backup reason I will not share my work."

Is your level of metacognition so low that you have no idea how silly you seem in this stance?

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Rich42
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?

Lisa O wrote:

it is people like you who discourage others from participating, enjoying and getting the most out of their experience here.

Yes. You are correct. Ignore him. He feeds off anyone who responds to his baiting.

Rich

alan54g
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
Re: alan54g

Very true...

I would love for you to have a D800 too. You sound like someone who would take it seriously.

In the meantime, the D300 can be had for pretty cheap now. And that's a fairly good leap forward.
--

alan54g's gear list:alan54g's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Biological_Viewfinder
Like?
Re: I'm great. References: me.
In reply to moving_comfort, Aug 20, 2012

moving_comfort wrote:

What we do know, from your own admission, is that 1) you shoot HDR, 2) you think it's somehow very unique and original, and different than other HDR, 3) you have presented your work here in the past and had it criticized in some way and to some degree that caused you to not want to show it any more.

Untrue. The statement I made was in jest, because of how overwhelmed people were with HDR at the time, and how it caught on and was copied. Perhaps you should go back and re-read it. I have never admitted to HDR work. If I wasn’t completely clear in this regard and you misunderstood it, then I’m telling you now.

Now, you say " I do great work. Trust me, I do, just ask me. I will not attempt to prove this, because none of you are worth that proof, and I suspect you may want to copy my incredibly original HDR work, so that's another backup reason I will not share my work."

Once again, I WILL NOT EVER show my work to you people.

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?

Lisa O wrote:

Your comments on this forum insult everyone on this forum. I don't post things as bait. I don't need this to validate me or my work. Your myopic view of the world is unimportant.

You have just shown how shallow you truly are by the title of the original post itself. My comment of you being full of crap an expression of that. You have no valid points.

So, just more insults...

I'll try to make this as plain and clear as I possibly can.
I DO NOT HAVE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS!!!!
I CAN HAVE MY OWN OPINIONS!!!

Does that help you?

moving_comfort
Like?
Re: This is one of the funniest baiting threads ever.
In reply to Ed_C, Aug 20, 2012

Ed_C wrote:

Masterful job sir.

I originally thought the O.P. was just a troll post and responded accordingly, but now I think he's actually a true believer... in himself!

One wonders what true genius like that gains from these lowly fora... But heck, that's not for us to understand.

-- hide signature --

Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
moving_comfort
Like?

Ann Romney? That you?!?

-- hide signature --

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?
In reply to moving_comfort, Aug 20, 2012

moving_comfort wrote:

Ann Romney? That you?!?

Well since you keep antagonizing me, I decided to look at your "favorite things". I was not impressed.

I could critique them for you, but I'm afraid it would be very painful.

Lisa O
Like?

Don't yell at me with caps!

Lisa O wrote:

So, just more insults...

I'll try to make this as plain and clear as I possibly can.
I DO NOT HAVE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS!!!!
I CAN HAVE MY OWN OPINIONS!!!

Does that help you?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads