Frustrated with this Forum's Photographic Examples

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions
jack oconnor
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: InTheMist's Photo-Forum Manifesto
In reply to InTheMist, Aug 18, 2012

Dear In the mist,
I couldn't agree with you more and your post reminds me of a story.

Two old gents siting in the park,
one says I never have shown you the pictures of my grandchildren have I ?
The other replies: "no and I've been meaning to thank you for that"
--
Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InterestedParty
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
Re: You may be 100% right about ..
In reply to Eleson, Aug 18, 2012

Eleson wrote:

... the pictures, but the frustration is yours alone, and noone can solve that for you.
What's your plan?

Eleson's advice from Esalen ?
--
Honorifics bestowed thus far by DPR members, rattymouse: drooling moron ;

InterestedParty's gear list:InterestedParty's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,409
Like?
It's like this
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Aug 18, 2012

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

I really think it would be in poor taste to give examples, but I'm really just astounded by the lack of photographic ability, either technically or creatively on these forums. You would think that some of the greatest cameras ever made would result in some really stunning work. And occasionally that does happen; but more often than not, the pictures are really just demonstrations of resolution and really not much else.

Here's a picture of my hometown, and the sky is blown out completely. But everyone cheers the guy on anyway. Good job, you did good capturing the buildings. No one even notices that the sky is a white nothingness. Or the shot that's just plain useless. Here's my little kid or my dog... SO WHAT!

It's really frustrating to see so many people with so much money and no ability.

I mean a D4 outfit must cost $15,000 easily. And I'm seeing snapshot quality composition from even these guys???? The resolution is there, but the thought isn't.

The worst are those who ask for C&C; because you arleady know that if they need critisim, they haven't found their way yet. It's just painful.

And then I google images for D800 or D4 or D3s and I'm BLOWN AWAY by what people are doing out there. Just not here. I guess this is the place where you honk your horn, "HEY I JUST BOUGHT A $6,000 CAMERA!!! Doesn't that make me important?"

Sigh.
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Agree, it's about as tiring as watching you post constantly about how DSLR video is terrible, how you want to use autofocus in video and why all handicam's are better, right?

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,493Gear list
Like?
In reply to InterestedParty, Aug 18, 2012

Its my opinion that anybody can buy whatever they want, that is not my business. I have a Nikon d3s and after decades of photography I don't consider myself that good. I am still learning and get an awful lot of good information from guys like FB and his fantistic images. I believe that if a person has some constructive things to say in a respectful way about an image that is ok.

I try to do my own thing and I am aware of the proper way to present myself with respect for other people over the internet.

Larry

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,493Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Aug 18, 2012

Correction on last message. I was refering to RBfresno and not RD as on last message, sorry.

Larry

sssesq
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Aug 18, 2012

Well, to all those that are frustrated by the poor quality of the pics posted, here is another. This type of photog is out of my usual comfort zone, but I would like to know how to get better. Clouds came in too fast for me to find a real dark spot to shoot from, but I guess that sometimes it might add to the astheitcs some. Purists will hate this shot, and I do too, in some respects, but it looks kinda nice as wallpaper.

I used the NR feature and next time I will up the f stop to see if I can cut down on the coma at the edges. Will this help. Also since I shot at iso 640 I think that I can up that to 3200 or even 6400 using a light touch with the NR and downsampling to help with the motion. Advice?

sssesq's gear list:sssesq's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Operator
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
+1 (nT)

nT

Operator's gear list:Operator's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
activator
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: It's like this
In reply to primeshooter, Aug 18, 2012

Whatever else the guy has commented on in the past .......I agree with the point that so much stuff posted is rubbish...total rubbish.

"Ive just had my hokey kokey 5700 for a day.but here are some pics I just took to prove what a total useless pillock I am!"

Thousands of posts like this................sad but true

barry

moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Re: It's like this
In reply to primeshooter, Aug 18, 2012

primeshooter wrote:

I really think it would be in poor taste to give examples, but I'm really just astounded by the lack of photographic ability, either technically or creatively on these forums. You would think that some of the greatest cameras ever made would result in some really stunning work. And occasionally that does happen; but more often than not, the pictures are really just demonstrations of resolution and really not much else.

Here's a picture of my hometown, and the sky is blown out completely. But everyone cheers the guy on anyway. Good job, you did good capturing the buildings. No one even notices that the sky is a white nothingness. Or the shot that's just plain useless. Here's my little kid or my dog... SO WHAT!

It's really frustrating to see so many people with so much money and no ability.

I mean a D4 outfit must cost $15,000 easily. And I'm seeing snapshot quality composition from even these guys???? The resolution is there, but the thought isn't.

The worst are those who ask for C&C; because you arleady know that if they need critisim, they haven't found their way yet. It's just painful.

And then I google images for D800 or D4 or D3s and I'm BLOWN AWAY by what people are doing out there. Just not here. I guess this is the place where you honk your horn, "HEY I JUST BOUGHT A $6,000 CAMERA!!! Doesn't that make me important?"

Sigh.
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Agree, it's about as tiring as watching you post constantly about how DSLR video is terrible, how you want to use autofocus in video and why all handicam's are better, right?

+1

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Trollage.

I really think it would be in poor taste to give examples, but I'm really just astounded by the lack of photographic ability, either technically or creatively on these forums. ...

Interesting viewpoint! However I'm left to wonder why you yourself never post examples of your work, have nothing in your galleries, have not entered any challenges, and have no link to your work anywhere in your sig or profile.

(I suspect you may simply be bored and are trolling - my guess as to the reason for this glaring disparity between opinion and anything available to back it up )

Sigh.

Indeed.

Translate this: 01001100 01001111 01001100

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,863
Like?
Re: Frustrated with this Forum's Photographic Examples
In reply to steveperry, Aug 18, 2012

I may have missed it, but the OP didn't say he had great photos. His complaint is I think more along the lines that if someone wants to post photos from their new pro camera, perhaps a bit of effort in self-editing could be made. IOW, the OP takes his own advice and opinions to heart.

steveperry wrote:

I agree 100% - no pics, no links to photos elsewhere. The phrase "put up or shut up" comes to mind.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

steveperry
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
In reply to PicOne, Aug 18, 2012

PicOne wrote:

I may have missed it, but the OP didn't say he had great photos. His complaint is I think more along the lines that if someone wants to post photos from their new pro camera, perhaps a bit of effort in self-editing could be made. IOW, the OP takes his own advice and opinions to heart.

steveperry wrote:

I agree 100% - no pics, no links to photos elsewhere. The phrase "put up or shut up" comes to mind.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

If I took it the wrong way, I do apologize

sssesq
Like?
In reply to steveperry, Aug 18, 2012

Well, I'm waiting...I posted a while back and No Comments. Is it that bad or, possibly, that good??

And LOL back to U, (Current .Net C# programmer)

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Method007
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

Sigh.
--

If I am about to pan an entire forum, I would at least spell check my post. The worst type of person to me is one who stomps on a rookie and people just coming up. Clearly you don't have much confidence in your own work or you would have posted a picture at some point in your prior posts on this website. I would assume that's where the anger is coming from? Look this may shock you so sit down - some things require experience. Amazingly, photography is one of them. I know it sounds crazy, but people often ask each other for help - they don't just insult each others work / ambition / pursuits. People with less experience (get ready for it) - STILL POST PHOTOS! It's a crazy concept I know, but you see it's the basis of the forum concept. People posting and what not... ahh.. you bore me. I had more to say but I just realized your probably in the middle of an amazing photo shoot in Bora Bora and I don't want to take up more of your time. Say hi to the swimsuit models for me!!

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,412Gear list
Like?
Re: Trollage.
In reply to moving_comfort, Aug 18, 2012

I really think it would be in poor taste to give examples, but I'm really just astounded by the lack of photographic ability, either technically or creatively on these forums. ...

Interesting viewpoint! However

I'm left to wonder why you yourself never post examples of your work, have nothing in your galleries, have not entered any challenges, and have no link to your work anywhere in your sig or profile.

Exactly.

I too, am struck by the sub-population on this forum who frequently have heavy-handed opinions, lack any photographic credentials, never show their own work, link to any of their photos, and whose galleries are empty.

(I suspect you may simply be bored and are trolling - my guess as to the reason for this glaring disparity between opinion and anything available to back it up emoticon - smile )

Sigh.

Indeed.

76   79   76

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
DANdeMAN
Contributing MemberPosts: 926Gear list
Like?
Another one bites the dust and ano...

This is the second one in so many weeks to flip... Are we seing the D800(E) syndrome!?
Personaly I don't ask for C&C, either you like it or you don't like.

What is interesting to me, is what it evokes in them, not what I "should" change or modify according to them. After all, it is my work and I'm not working for anybody (photographically speaking) nor am I in school. Enough babling, here is one. lol

D800E + 24mm f/2.8 Ais @ f8 1/100s iso100 in A mode

-- hide signature --

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012) - SONY V3 (03-2005)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Gediminas 8
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
Fully agree (nt)
-- hide signature --

A travel gallery of my country and some others:
http://www.pbase.com/lithuania

Gediminas 8's gear list:Gediminas 8's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
sssesq
Like?
Re: Trollage.
In reply to RBFresno, Aug 18, 2012

RBFresno wrote:

76   79   76

RB

RB - Nice gallery. Also, the poster of the binary wanted an additional setp. The binary to decimal is for 76 79 76, but what I think the message was meant to be again translated decimal into the ASCII representation - in this case 76 79 76 is L O L...

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,519
Like?
Because this is a gear forum, not a C&C forum

This topic seems to come up every month in the gear forums. It's akin to complaining about the lack of chastity in a whorehouse.

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928
Like?

This is an equipment forum and we should expect posted images that show technical rather than artistic examples. It would be refreshing to see some more quality work though as those are generally the best examples of what a camera is capable of.

What I do find frustrating is reading comments from people who give no links to their own photos or have no gallery images. I tend to dismiss any comments from that sort of poster as being uninformed (They have given me no reason to believe they know what they are talking about). Sorry OP, but at the moment that includes you.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads