RX100 Jpeg + RAW

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions
skiphunt13
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478
Like?
RX100 Jpeg + RAW
Aug 17, 2012

With my Olympus XZ-1 I sometimes like to play with various art filters. I've got it set to always shoot a Fine Jpeg AND a RAW image. If I don't like the art filter, I've always got a RAW backup source.

Does the RX100 do this? I just read an article that implied that when using the various art filter modes on the RX100, you can ONLY get the JPEG and not a RAW version too. Is this true?

-- hide signature --
Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 910Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Jpeg + RAW
In reply to skiphunt13, Aug 17, 2012

I'm not sure about the RAW part of your question, but I would like to mention that you can apply some of the art filters after you have taken the shot. So if you shoot Jpeg+RAW, you can simply apply the art filter that you want and as a result you will have 3 files: Jpeg, RAW and Art-Jpeg.

Anyway, RX100 will always save the original jpeg no matter what filters you apply.

Does that help?

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skiphunt13
Like?
In reply to rio911, Aug 17, 2012

Yes, but can I see what the art filter looks like "live" while I'm framing like I can with the XZ-1?

rio911 wrote:

I'm not sure about the RAW part of your question, but I would like to mention that you can apply some of the art filters after you have taken the shot. So if you shoot Jpeg+RAW, you can simply apply the art filter that you want and as a result you will have 3 files: Jpeg, RAW and Art-Jpeg.

Anyway, RX100 will always save the original jpeg no matter what filters you apply.

Does that help?

rio

-- hide signature --
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 910Gear list
Like?

skiphunt13 wrote:

Yes, but can I see what the art filter looks like "live" while I'm framing like I can with the XZ-1?

You have the live art filters, but they only work with Jpeg. I just tried it on my rx100 and when I enable RAW+Jpeg, the art filters are not available.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
ManuH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,898
Like?

skiphunt13 wrote:

Yes you can see them "live" when framing your shot. Unfortunately RAW is not available when using these Picture Effect. Which is a bit weird since the raw file doesn't need any process anyway...

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to ManuH, Aug 17, 2012

ManuH wrote:

skiphunt13 wrote:

Yes you can see them "live" when framing your shot. Unfortunately RAW is not available when using these Picture Effect. Which is a bit weird since the raw file doesn't need any process anyway...

Hopefully Sony will let users who shoot RAW + Jpeg use the filters though a firmware update.

skiphunt13
Like?
In reply to rio911, Aug 17, 2012

Hmmm.... thanks for checking. That's not quite a deal breaker, but rather disappointing.

Just having trouble with that $650 price tag, though I'm sure it's worth it... and, the fact I'm still diggin' my XZ-1.

Heading to Mexico again soon and since I've photographed it so much over the last 20 years, I'm thinking I'll just get by with my trusty XZ-1 until I get back in early October and see what's announced at Photokina first before I decide and after all the early adopters have shakin' out all the first production-run bugs.

rio911 wrote:

skiphunt13 wrote:

You have the live art filters, but they only work with Jpeg. I just tried it on my rx100 and when I enable RAW+Jpeg, the art filters are not available.

rio

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads