Clearviewer and RX100

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions
NIK11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732
Like?
Re: Question for the VF essential crowd...
In reply to millsart, Aug 17, 2012

millsart wrote:

I'm all for VF's whenever possible, don't get me wrong. Couldn't work without the nice big bright optical finders on my D3s's, and I've certainly enjoyed the finders on my M9 down to the Fuji X100 and have surprisingly found EVF's work pretty darn well on the NEX7 and EM-5.

Useful to have, but a true "must have" ??? I just don't get it, especially on a pocket camera.

Not getting it, probably has something to do with the type of photography you do with a compact.

Some of us have dumped bulky SLR's years ago in favour of a quality compact as our main camera. As you have hinted at, anyone wishing to shoot action, or to capture an exact moment or wishing to frame precisely in harsh lighting, then the benefits of OVF/EVF become self evident. In the case of EVF's, why must this be the preserve of large cameras? Why can't we have the equivalent on compacts?

RX100 is simply a pocket camera, that is supposed to be as compact as possible.

Right. No one is suggesting Sony should stop producing the RX100 because it doesn't have an EVF. Like minded people are saying another model, slightly bigger, with built-in EVF would fit a niche not yet filled. You don't have have to buy one if and when it materializes!

Unless your totally nearsighted I can't imagine why anyone would really hold a camera at arms length away.

It's the other way round. Older people tend to be long sighted and their age in centimetres represents the nearest they can focus without glasses - so a 40 year old has nearest focal point of 40cms, aged 60 =60cms. So older peolpe would tend to hold a camera at arms length to focus (without assistance).

Again, I'm not saying I'd want to shoot a wedding or football game without my OVF bodies, but I just don't see how its so impossible to use a LCD only option as well

If you want to frame precisely a shot into low sun whilst being surrounded by water or other reflective surfaces, I would argue that its nigh impossible with an LCD.

If we have more choice it can only be a good thing.

Nick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,394
Like?
In reply to NIK11, Aug 17, 2012

NIK11 wrote:

It's the other way round. Older people tend to be long sighted and their age in centimetres represents the nearest they can focus without glasses - so a 40 year old has nearest focal point of 40cms, aged 60 =60cms. So older peolpe would tend to hold a camera at arms length to focus (without assistance).

I am 85, my arms are not long enough to hold the camera at
85cms, with bifocals I can see the screen quite well at 15 inches,
is that about 35 cms?

BTW a simple linen tester ($2.50 on ebay)is a lot cheaper and works quite well
as the clearviewer. Just have to cup your hand around it, folds up to about
the size of a book of matches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thread-Counter-Linen-Tester-Magnifier-Magnifying-/200620031111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5e2bc87

NIK11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732
Like?
In reply to Trafford, Aug 17, 2012

Trafford wrote:

NIK11 wrote:

I am 85, my arms are not long enough to hold the camera at
85cms, with bifocals I can see the screen quite well at 15 inches,
is that about 35 cms?

Yep, good thing you never forget your glasses.

By the way, I should point out that the figures I quoted apply to me. Everyone is different in actual figures, however the near point focus does deteriate after 40 with age, for most people.

BTW a simple linen tester ($2.50 on ebay)is a lot cheaper and works quite well
as the clearviewer. Just have to cup your hand around it, folds up to about
the size of a book of matches.

Thanks. Novel approach.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thread-Counter-Linen-Tester-Magnifier-Magnifying-/200620031111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5e2bc87

andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,760Gear list
Like?
Answer from the VF essential crowd...
In reply to NIK11, Aug 17, 2012

Nick has already answered.
Let me explain :

1/ I'm 62, and I need glasses to read a newspaper, or to type this answer I'm writing right now on my computer.

With my DSLR (a D90), I never need glasses for shooting, I need them only if I want to review the images on the LCD.

Without glasses, I can frame, check the settings, which are displayed below the OVF, change the settings thanks to the dedicated buttons, and take the picture.

With the P7100, I don't need glasses to use the OVF, but I do need to wear my glasses to look at the LCD and change the settings (or review the pictures), because the OVF displays no information.

2/ Using the LCD for shooting means I have to wear my glasses. That's perfectly boring. Also, I'm much more comfortable shooting with the OVF than with the LCD. To each his own.
I don't see why the "LCD crowd" cannot understand why some of us need a VF.
If you're used to use the LCD, fine.
I'm not, and I'm not alone.

I've already said it: we all know that an EVF would add some bulk to a compact. I'm OK with that. I think there is room for a compact a bit larger than the RX100, but with an EVF.

In the film days, I had a Rollei 35S: 35mm film, high quality fixed 40mm 2.8 lens, a big OVF, and a very small camera.
I'm waiting for the next compact with RX100 features and performance, and a VF.
--
André
http://a.barelier.free.fr/

andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
john the foot
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Clearviewer and RX100
In reply to andrbar, Aug 4, 2013

In reply to the question I've just read. I own an rx100 and felt the same about the lack of vf especially in sun light/very bright situations. The quality of the results from the rx 100 are brilliant for a true pocket camera as I was fed up with carrying around my Canon 7D and a load of glass for every day use. After purchasing the clearviewer I am very pleasantly surprised at how effective it is at not a bad price. The only complaint was with our postal service who charged an extra £8 on top of the bit of VAT, making it an extra £14-36 to pay before I could have it from the postie. When I've used it some more I'll post my thoughts.

Allan Rossmore
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to millsart, Aug 5, 2013

I use the Clearviewer on the HX50V sometimes in bright sunlight and also when trying to get action shots at long zoom. It makes things much easier to see and I find it to be effective, especially for its price. And it fits right in my normal carry case.

-- hide signature --

Allan R

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads