Clearviewer and RX100

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,568Gear list
Like?
Clearviewer and RX100
Aug 16, 2012

Hello,

Very impressed with the RX100. I don't own one yet, because I'm a VF guy, and I really don't like holding my camera at arms length for framing. That's why I bought a Nikon P7100 to complement my DSLR. The 7100 has a VF (very small, inaccurate, with no information, but it's here). I know the RX100 has an excellent LCD, but that's not enough for me.

IMO, the RX100 is in the DSLR category, image quality wise, way better than the 7100. Should it have a VF, I would buy one immediately.

I'd like to know if some of you tried the Clearviewer with the RX100 (or another camera before), and would be so kind as to share their impressions.
Thanks in advance.
--
André
http://a.barelier.free.fr/

andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,321
Like?
Re: Clearviewer and RX100
In reply to andrbar, Aug 16, 2012

I am with you on this. I would buy one in a flash if it had a VF or facility to add a Nex style EVF.

I cannot understand how folks get on trying to use an LCD in bright sunlight, let alone manage with the problems of holding at arms length, and of difficulty of spec usage.

It is time the camera manufacturers realise that even if the P&S brigade can manage with hit and miss shots, the rest of us want a VF of some sort (I could manage with EVF or optical)

tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
In reply to tomhongkong, Aug 16, 2012

tomhongkong wrote:

It is time the camera manufacturers realise that even if the P&S brigade can manage with hit and miss shots, the rest of us want a VF of some sort (I could manage with EVF or optical)

Don't speak for "the of us".

RX100 is a pocket camera. Anything added to comprise that would have been a horrible idea.

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to ET2, Aug 16, 2012

I don't understand why people hold P&S cameras out at arms length, I find I hold the camera closer and use the rear LCD as kind of like a big viewfinder and it makes the camera more stable, but I think its because I'm so use to shooting SLR's it's become second nature.

A optional EVF would have been nice though, Olympus and Panasonic give you the option of using the EVF's from their MFT cameras, so it would be nice to see Sony offer the EVF from the NEX 5n on the next RX camera.

Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 16, 2012

People actually hold compacts out in front of them at arm's length? I've always held it close to my head, with my arms locked while bent — the same kind of technique I used to do when painting to keep my arms steady. I can't imagine how you'd keep it satisfactorily stable otherwise.

Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

You might try asking this in the the Panasonic forum. There are lots of folks there that have used the Clearviewer very happily, and I think it was originally designed for the LX3.

andrbar wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to know if some of you tried the Clearviewer with the RX100 (or another camera before), and would be so kind as to share their impressions.
Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 4,830Gear list
Like?
In reply to Liz Z., Aug 16, 2012

rx has a setting for lcd, 'sunny weather', just used it at the beach. awesome, could see, compose, shoot, see what I got. worthless without that setting but quite usable.

it is a process of getting used to using a lcd. my r1 has both optical vf and lcd, and an old 2005 lcd at that. It automatically switches to optical if you bring your eye to the viewer.

I hardly ever use the optical. lcd tilts and swivels, so those advantages got me used to lcd.

not arms length, you need to get it closer, I have progressive lenses in my glasses, so I can use it close, 8 or 9" away. perhaps some people try to use them with distance glasses on, and that is why they hold them out so far.

such a small and light camera needs to be held closer to be steady, especially when zoomed, and when using extended 'near optical' clear zoom which is quite good.

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100
andrbar
Like?

Thank you for your answers so far.

But don't try to convince me to get used to the LCD. The P7100 has a nice LCD, but I can't get used to use it, even when I can perfectly read the info and see the subject.

So, I'll change my question: before the RX100, some of you were probably using a VF camera (electronic or optical). Do you plan to try the clearviewer on the RX100, or will you use it as it is, ie with the LCD only?
Liz, you're right. I'll ask in the Panasonic forum.
--
André

Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Rick Evertsz
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

I never hold my camera at arm's length. I liked the NEX-5N because I could shoot from the waist, and thought I would miss the articulated LCD when I sold it to buy an RX100.

Surprisingly, the RX100 lends itself to shooting from the hip. The LCD is really clear when viewed at an angle. I hold the camera about 20cm from my body with my elbows locked into my sides. The camera is cradled in my left hand so I can operate the control ring, and I press the shutter button with my right thumb. Hope that's clear. Try it!

Mostly, I don't miss my DSLR's VF, nor do I miss the 5N's articulated screen. Obviously it's a compromise, but I find it works well for me and allows me to hold the camera nice and steady.

I'd prefer to have an EVF, but the RX100's viewing options are a lot more versatile than I had expected.

HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Clearviewer works great on RX100

I have a Clearviewer that I had been using on my NX200. I have tried it on my RX100. It works GREAT! I want to leave it on all the time because it allows you to see the image so much better for composition. It even works in the sun. It also allows you to hold the camera up to your face which for me improves camera stability.

The one thing, is that if you leave it on the camera, it adds just enough bulk that it does not fit in my RX100 belt case. It does fold flat and has a nice felt stop to prevent scratching of the LCD. I still need to solve this small case related problem so I can keep it on all the time.
--
Hank K

Nikon D800E, Sony RX100, Samsung NX20 (former 5DM2, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

andrbar
Like?
Thank you guys!
In reply to HankK, Aug 16, 2012

Very informative and useful answers.

I just have to wait for Photokina. If nobody comes up with a RX100 contender, then it will be the RX100.
See you soon!
--
André

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?
Re: Thank you guys!

Like you I prefer a viewfinder and that's why I've been ogling the Nikon V1.
Have you given it any consideration ?
--
Jacques

Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

andrbar
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, Aug 16, 2012

Hi Jacques,

Yes, I for sure would like the Nikon V1 EVF and fast AF. But it's not a compact camera, even with the 10-30 only. And I don't like the lack of dedicated buttons.
I have a D90 for when I need to change lenses.

What I'm looking for is a travel camera to replace the P7100. I'm tired to have no information in the VF, which means I'm forced to use the LCD if I wanna know what I'm doing.

The RX100 is much smaller than the V1. Even with a clearviewer, it is a very small camera, perfect for travelling. I don't shoot many pictures at long focal lengths, so I won't miss the 200mm of the P7100 very much.
But I'll wait to see what Nikon comes up with at Photokina.
--
André

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?
In reply to andrbar, Aug 17, 2012

I know the feeling all too well - what a pity the manufacturers are so reluctant to add viewfinders to the small cameras, The RX100 sounds like a real gem and if it had a VF I would not hesitate in getting one. I had a look at the Clearviewer but am not very thrilled by it, I think it will make the camera more bulky and not a pocket camera anymore, in which case the V1 starts looking more suitable again.
--
Jacques

Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

JohnWho
Contributing MemberPosts: 853
Like?

Hi -

We discussed the Clearviewer for the HX9V here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=38907977

Seems the same info would be appropriate for the RX100.

My comments in that thread still stand after using it for awhile. It resolves virtually all of the "washed out screen" problem in bright sunlight.

andrbar
Like?
Thanks! Very useful (nt)
In reply to JohnWho, Aug 17, 2012
-- hide signature --
NIK11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?
Limited options

I have a 'clearviewer' on my S95.

It more or less solves the viewing problems in harsh light and allows better tracking of moving subjects. It's a cheap solution although not a particularly elegant one - it adds about 8mm(1/3") to the camera thickness and the close view is very pixelated.

Until manufacturers cotton on to the pent up demand for small cameras with EVF/OVF then the clearviewer is currently the only option. Try it.

I will likely buy the first decent small compact with built-in EVF, even if a different model increases on the S100/RX100 size to something else around 40mm thick. That's still pocketable fo me. And throw in a tilting lens please, NEX7 buyers are not the only ones wanting better handling from small cameras.

Nick

andrbar
Like?
Re: Limited options
In reply to NIK11, Aug 17, 2012

Thanks Nick for the info. I'm exactly in the same boat. I'm still waiting for an advanced compact with buit in usable VF...even if it is a bit larger than the RX100.
By usable VF, I mean a VF which displays the main parameters.

It could be a high quality EVF, or an OVF with shooting info overlayed, (very expensive, I'm afraid...)
Tilting lens? Do you mean tilting LCD?

NIK11 wrote:

It more or less solves the viewing problems in harsh light and allows better tracking of moving subjects. It's a cheap solution although not a particularly elegant one - it adds about 8mm(1/3") to the camera thickness and the close view is very pixelated.

Until manufacturers cotton on to the pent up demand for small cameras with EVF/OVF then the clearviewer is currently the only option. Try it.

I will likely buy the first decent small compact with built-in EVF, even if a different model increases on the S100/RX100 size to something else around 40mm thick. That's still pocketable fo me. And throw in a tilting lens please, NEX7 buyers are not the only ones wanting better handling from small cameras.

Nick

-- hide signature --
NIK11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?
Re: Limited options

andrbar wrote:

Thanks Nick for the info. I'm exactly in the same boat. I'm still waiting for an advanced compact with buit in usable VF...even if it is a bit larger than the RX100.
By usable VF, I mean a VF which displays the main parameters.

It could be a high quality EVF, or an OVF with shooting info overlayed, (very expensive, I'm afraid...)
Tilting lens? Do you mean tilting LCD?

Oops! Yes, I meant tilting LCD . Can't imagine a compact with tilting lens.

Nick

NIK11 wrote:

Nick

-- hide signature --
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Question for the VF essential crowd...

I'm all for VF's whenever possible, don't get me wrong. Couldn't work without the nice big bright optical finders on my D3s's, and I've certainly enjoyed the finders on my M9 down to the Fuji X100 and have surprisingly found EVF's work pretty darn well on the NEX7 and EM-5.

Useful to have, but a true "must have" ??? I just don't get it, especially on a pocket camera.

Make the camera bigger and sell it for $1000 and it won't be a pocket point and shoot, it will be the rumored NEX6 which is a scaled down NEX7 as I understand it

Likewise, if I wanted to put a $400 add on Sony EVF onto it, then its a going to be rather unpocketable, just like the NEX5n with the add on EVF

For that matter, good as the RX100 is, I'd prefer the NEX5n IQ if I'm going to spend that type of money on the add on EVF.

RX100 is simply a pocket camera, that is supposed to be as compact as possible.

Unless your totally nearsighted I can't imagine why anyone would really hold a camera at arms length away.

Again, I'm not saying I'd want to shoot a wedding or football game without my OVF bodies, but I just don't see how its so impossible to use a LCD only option as well

Heck, I probably shot my Fuji X100 using the LCD about 50% of the time. Further, assuming you've got an iPhone or other smartphone, and take some photos with it as most smartphone owners do, serious or otherwise, how can you get on with that ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads