RX-100 w/ Leatherlike Bodyskin-Great feel!

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions
Another Opinion
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
RX-100 w/ Leatherlike Bodyskin-Great feel!
Aug 16, 2012

It was with much trepidation I embarked on putting a synthetic leather adhesive sticker on my RX-100. I read some good thing about it and say a You Tube video.

The only think I didn't love about this camera was the bare metal body and I was looking for a grip.

I found this and it looks and feels outstanding. There is a company in Japan making these in pastel colors.

See below-let me know what you think. Be civil.

-- hide signature --

Respectfully submitted

Another Opinion's gear list:Another Opinion's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +9 more
RonAnnArbor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Re: RX-100 w/ Leatherlike Bodyskin-Great feel!
In reply to Another Opinion, Aug 16, 2012

Looks great! Is there a link to the company that sells these?

Do they remove, or is the adhesive permanent?....

RonAnnArbor's gear list:RonAnnArbor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Another Opinion
Like?
In reply to RonAnnArbor, Aug 16, 2012

It's adhesive and a commitment. I've seen these for other cameras on other forums and on a Canon so I made the plunge. I can't say how long this will stay but once you put it on, it does't feel like it will come off easily.

Here's the Ebay link I purchased mine from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271029451566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When you get it you can see it comes from japan.hobby-tool.com. Looks like a site with some awesome gear but no English version. This was cut with the precision of an oem manufacturer. I am very happy with it for now.

PS- I have no interest in this company- Just sharing what I found to be very helpful instead of a grip. imho.
--
Respectfully submitted

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +9 more
SDF
SDF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to RonAnnArbor, Aug 16, 2012

according to seller: "It would be easy to remove without leaving a residue because of using high quality double-face tape, If decided to take it off."

So it is removable.

It must be popular. He sold 99 already.

RonAnnArbor wrote:

Looks great! Is there a link to the company that sells these?

Do they remove, or is the adhesive permanent?....

SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to SDF, Aug 16, 2012

I got mine yesterday and I agree that it does make the camera feel better to hold!

Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 16, 2012

It looks crooked on the top left corner to me.

I think it looks better without the crooked top piece applied, and just left with the bottom fake leather bit.
Just my opinion.
Is that civil enough.

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?
I agree...
In reply to Oswald61, Aug 16, 2012

without the top leather skin RX100 looks much more classy. At least I didn't cover the top part:

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: I agree...
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Aug 16, 2012

I was going to leave off the top half, but I think it feels better to hold with the top part.

Personally, I would have liked to see a version which covered the whole top section (including the Sony logo) rather then have it cover half the top section.

There is also a version that covers the Zeiss logo.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camera-Leather-decoration-sticker-Sony-DSC-RX100-Leica-Type-hiding-Logo-/271031517853?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item3f1abcc29d#ht_1104wt_906

Another Opinion
Like?
Removal- Tough but Easy
In reply to Another Opinion, Aug 18, 2012

I wasn't in love with the top piece, especially since I put it on a hair off line.

Now one could really see but it bothered me- that plus the pictures without the top just seemed more "organic" and OEM to me.

So I pulled one end and the adhesive didn't want to budge but with I little muscle it's started to come off.

I could see that there was absolutely no residue so I removed both top pieces. Not even a sticky feel. Reely a well crafted accessory. I may buy another now in case it wears or looses adhesion over time. Doesn't feel like it will but I would think it is easier to get now than in a couple of years.

By the way, I have never kept any of my digicam portables for more than 6mos (except my LX-5 which I will be gifting when I find a worthy recipient.

I think this Sony will be good for a while. Just seems like it got to the place digicams need to be.

The OM and the RX- a small put powerful kit.
--
Respectfully submitted

Dom7
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Aug 18, 2012

I received my skin today in my letter box, very fast shipping.

redorb
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Leica leather version which covers the Zeiss logo
In reply to RX100, Aug 18, 2012

I also bought the Leica leather version which covers the Zeiss logo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271031517853

This leather sticker significantly improves the look and feel of the RX100. I can highly recommend it for every RX100 owner.

I left off the top half, because this version is looking more stylish like the legendary Leica M9.

Dom7
Like?
In reply to Dom7, Aug 18, 2012

Here's the end result.
Installation was easy.

andye53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?
Re: Removal- Tough but Easy
In reply to Another Opinion, Aug 18, 2012

The RX100 looks really great with this skin on. I would definitely buy and put it on my RX. From your removal of the top piece it sounds like the adhesive is very strong, but I'm still concerned with the camera constantly going in and out of my pocket if the corners will start coming off quickly. Do you think the corners will hold up going in and out of jeans pocket?

-- hide signature --

SONY TX1O | HX9Vee | NEX-FiveN

andye53's gear list:andye53's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 RX100 III NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
redorb
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to andye53, Aug 18, 2012

The adhesive is very strong. This should be stable for a long time.

Dom7
Like?
In reply to redorb, Aug 18, 2012

redorb wrote:

The adhesive is very strong. This should be stable for a long time.

Yes I agree the adhesive is very strong, I tried peeling out at 1 stage and place it back on, no problem at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads