Your input needed on designing a RX100 mechanical shutter remote

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Your input needed on designing a RX100 mechanical shutter remote
Aug 14, 2012

I like to do long exposure shooting (with ND filters which should have some workable mounting solutions coming to market soon) and also stitched pano's. RX100 should prove to be a fantastic camera for this due to its 20meg resolution, pretty good quality lens, and large (for a compact) sensor. Basically I don't think there is a better tool for making serious images that is quite this small and easy to hike with.

One big drawback though to the camera is that there is no means for an IR or usb corded remote release.

Given the camera has a BULB mode setting makes this even more frustrating, especially since unlike many compacts, the max shutter time is other only 30 seconds rather than 60 seconds.

Had Sony made a TIME mode instead this wouldn't be much of an issue, but given they haven't changed the limited bracketing since I've had my original NEX5, I don't think we can count on much

Really only solution for being able to take long exposures, or basically any tripod shooting (other than using 2 second timer which works in some modes) is an old threaded shutter release.

I've got several from my Fuji X100 and they have the lock where you depress the plunger and it holds the shutter down as long as you want. Should be just the ticket for long exposures

Only the RX100 doesn't have a threaded release of course so a big of a work around is in order.

What I'm thinking is building a little frame that goes around the camera body with a little threaded nut on it. The threaded release cable screws into this and depresses the shutter button.

Basically a pretty simple design as I don't have a CNC machine or anything to get too fancy.

Can't really do any sort of arm over the front of the camera because it would block the zoom toggle, and same goes for the back, don't want to block any LCD or control pad.

Also as I want to add Richards grip, I'm rather limited in that regard as well.

Something like an L plate with 2 risers on it on either side of the camera and a thin top bar with the nut on is about the best I can come up with

I'd welcome any thoughts on the matter though, ideas I didn't think of etc

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Re: Your input needed on designing a RX100 mechanical shutter remote
In reply to millsart, Aug 14, 2012

A flexarm mounted on a flashbracket or clamped to the tripod might work. Just tape the cable release to it.
--
Seedeich on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seedeich/tags/v1/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to millsart, Aug 14, 2012
millsart
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Aug 15, 2012

I wonder if that would be solid enough to be able to keep the shutter depressed for a long exposure ?

Not a bad idea but I'd hate to be doing a 2 minute exposure and have the shutter pop back up and end the shot early.

Given how little shutter play the rx100 has I'm thinking it might have to be a really rock solid holder

Or, I could use something like a screw down winged bolt to depress and keep it down, rather than using the shutter release cable

nosnoop wrote:

How about buying this:

http://www.srb-griturn.com/cable-release-bracket-for-compact-cameras-1965-p.asp

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to millsart, Aug 15, 2012

I had Olympus XZ-1 before I bought RX100, I had a cheap cable release that worked great. I really miss that feature on RX100. I hope someone figure out (hack?) a way using USB port to trigger shutter.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
H2F
H2F
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?

Google Kaiser 6154

keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

I wonder how easy would it would be to change the firmware to allow user selectable times to be used in a "TIME" mode?

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to H2F, Aug 15, 2012

H2F wrote:

Google Kaiser 6154

Hama also make a similar cable release adapter which includes the shutter cord.

millsart
Like?
Saw those but would block zoom lever/rear dial and reviews are awful
In reply to H2F, Aug 15, 2012

I've come across those before on Amazon etc, but the reviews have been really bad with people saying they just don't really work

On the RX100 as well, you'd be blocking the zoom control lever, part of the LCD and the rear control dial as well so you'd have to always get the camera totally ready to shoot a given composition and then wrap that strap around it and hope you could even get it tight enough to hold the shutter down for a long exposure.

I'd really like to build something that allows full control while working from a tripod

Thanks for the suggestion though

H2F wrote:

Google Kaiser 6154

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: Saw those but would block zoom lever/rear dial and reviews are awful

You could just set the zoom function on the front ring to zoom the lens.

Here is another remote option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Shutter-Control-for-Sony-NEX-3-Nex3-Mechanical/310242703539#ht_2404wt_962

millsart wrote:

I've come across those before on Amazon etc, but the reviews have been really bad with people saying they just don't really work

On the RX100 as well, you'd be blocking the zoom control lever, part of the LCD and the rear control dial as well so you'd have to always get the camera totally ready to shoot a given composition and then wrap that strap around it and hope you could even get it tight enough to hold the shutter down for a long exposure.

I'd really like to build something that allows full control while working from a tripod

Thanks for the suggestion though

H2F wrote:

Google Kaiser 6154

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads