Urgent r3000 problem Locked

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,161Gear list
Urgent r3000 problem
Aug 14, 2012

I am using a 2011 MacBook Pro for printing, and a newish r3000. I am running Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8). I have been printing to my r3000 with absolutely no problems since the update. However, today I tried to switch from Matte Black to Photo Black. I ran through the process on the printer, then, I went to the Print/Fax preference and deleted the printer, and tried to add it back in (neccessary when changing from matte to photo). When I tried to add it, it did not find the current existing driver which already is on my disk, but instead informed me that a new driver was available on the Apple servers (only way to get Epson drivers these days is through Apple). So it went and searched for the drivers, but said it could not load the drivers since no drivers are available on the server currently. So now I'm dead in the water. I cannot add the printer to the printer dialogue because it won't just find and load the existing driver. Help!

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
_timo_
Contributing MemberPosts: 739
Re: Urgent r3000 problem
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 14, 2012

Maybe grab the old driver from an older TM backup?

Alpha Doug
In reply to _timo_, Aug 14, 2012

Unfortunately I don't run TM, I just have a clone backup, but didn't back up just prior to changing the printer preferences. On the other hand, the printer drivers are sort of "inscrutable". They are not just named "r3000 printer driver". So I would have no idea of what to grab. I have a bootable backup form about two weeks ago, but that was before I updated to ML. Kind of between a rock and a hard place.
--

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Alpha Doug
Problem Solved

Sorry. Problem solved. However, I had to go on the Apple web site under Support and search for printer drivers. In the list, the latest drivers package was Epson v.2.11. I downloaded it (1 GB!) and installed it. After that, the printers preference found the software and installed the printer. But for those who end up in the same boat I was in, software update currently refuses to download this software.
--

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,701
Curious....

why do you need to delete the printer to go from Matte Black to Photo Black?

Bob P.

Alpha Doug
Re: Curious....
In reply to Petruska, Aug 14, 2012

With Epson high end printers it has always worked this way, at least on Macs, as far as I know. What happens is that the "instance" of the printer in the printer chooser is loaded as having a particular type of black ink installed. So if you have Matte Black, and you go to print on glossy paper, the printer driver will tell you you have the wrong type of ink selected for that paper. Maybe they have changed it, but I have gotten the error message with this printer.
--

Petruska

Alpha Doug wrote:

With Epson high end printers it has always worked this way, at least on Macs, as far as I know. What happens is that the "instance" of the printer in the printer chooser is loaded as having a particular type of black ink installed. So if you have Matte Black, and you go to print on glossy paper, the printer driver will tell you you have the wrong type of ink selected for that paper. Maybe they have changed it, but I have gotten the error message with this printer.
--

Yes, I understand that if you use a certain type of paper it calls for MK or PK ink, and the with windows it switches the ink automatically with the R3000. I would asssume that even with MAC OS it would do the same. I don't believe that Canon would produce a driver that would require you to "delete" the printer and reinstall it to make th black switch.

Have you checked with other MAC OS users here that have a R3000?

Bob P.

Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list

Alpha Doug wrote:

--

Doesn't work that way with an Epson 3880 and a Mac. Just change the paper and the ink is switched automatically.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Alpha Doug
In reply to Rkelac, Aug 15, 2012

So you are saying that when you print to your 3880, that if you had been printing on Matte paper with Matte Black, and all you do is just switch to glossy paper in the print dialogue, that the printer will clear out the matte black from the line (this has to be done prior to using photo black) and eventually it will start printing using photo black, completely automatically? I assure you, that is not what happens with an r2200, and r2880, or the r3000. First you have to toggle the printer to switch inks, using the LCD panel on the front, then you have to remove the printer in the print selection dialogue (apple) and then add it back in.
--

Petruska
Have you talked to Epson about this?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 15, 2012

It could be a MAC thing, but seems odd that it wouldn't function the same way as it does in Windows.

Bob P.

Mel64
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Re: Have you talked to Epson about this?
In reply to Petruska, Aug 15, 2012

Is am on PC with Windows and of course don't have this problem. But a review of the manual that came with the printer, and a quick check of the online user guide, seems to show similar instructions for the Mac.

Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 15, 2012

Alpha Doug wrote:

So you are saying that when you print to your 3880, that if you had been printing on Matte paper with Matte Black, and all you do is just switch to glossy paper in the print dialogue, that the printer will clear out the matte black from the line (this has to be done prior to using photo black) and eventually it will start printing using photo black, completely automatically? I assure you, that is not what happens with an r2200, and r2880, or the r3000. First you have to toggle the printer to switch inks, using the LCD panel on the front, then you have to remove the printer in the print selection dialogue (apple) and then add it back in.
--

Yes. That is what happened last night. I use Lightroom and presets.

It takes awhile to start printing again and is rather expensive to switch. Howeever, I'm going to be using third party inks when the current ones run out, so am not too concerned.

Here is what the 3880 manual says:

"You can use either Matte Black or Photo Black for printing. Both cartridges are installed all the time, and the printer knows which cartridge to use depending on the Media Type selected in the printer driver. You may sometimes need to switch cartridges as described below when using non-Epson media."

Are you perhaps not selecting an Epson media (even if using a non-Epson media) that uses the right type of ink cartridge (selecting an Epson glossy paper when you want to use the matte cartridge on some other brand of paper)?

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Alpha Doug
In reply to Rkelac, Aug 18, 2012

When you print, are you allowing your photo program (lightroom, or aperture, or Elements, or Photoshop) to control the output to the printer, or are you using the printer driver to control the output. I never, ever use the printer driver to control the output to the printer.

-- hide signature --

probert500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 19, 2012

Alpha Doug wrote:

When you print, are you allowing your photo program (lightroom, or aperture, or Elements, or Photoshop) to control the output to the printer, or are you using the printer driver to control the output. I never, ever use the printer driver to control the output to the printer.

-- hide signature --

You did post in the other forum and - as most people are saying here - what you are doing doesn't seem right. Epson is clumsy with ink handling but not to this extent.

If you choose a glossy paper - using software or printer to control color - the printer will look for PK. If you choose mat the printer will look for MK - at worst you should get a warning - improper ink for this pofile - or something.

Many have suggested you call epson to double check things - I think it's a good idea.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Alpha Doug
In reply to probert500, Aug 19, 2012

I think there may be a basic difference between the Windows driver and the Mac OS driver. Yes, when I select Glossy and I have Matte ink loaded, I get the message that the selection does not match the loaded ink. The only way to change the black ink on the r3000 is to pick "change black ink" in the menu on the printer and press select. The printer then changes the ink and clears the line, takes a minute or so. In the past, the driver also causes you to have to go into System Preferences and change the "instance" of the printer so that it can recognize the new black ink. However, I have mostly been doing this because it always worked this way (I guarantee you that it definitely worked this way with the r2880, it was a constant souce of annoyance and related to the Epson driver, not the Mac OS). But I haven't actually tried just printing immediately after changing the black ink. I'll try that and tell you all what happens. I could be wrong about changing the preference. Maybe they fixed that problem.

-- hide signature --

pluton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,210
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 22, 2012

On my Epson 3800 and Mac OS 10.7 it works the same as it always has: Change black ink via printer-top control panel, or by paper selection in driver.
--
-KB-

phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409
In reply to pluton, Aug 22, 2012

The r3000 should not need you to change the drivers each time on a Mac or Win. The system can be automated or manual but I recommend using the manuls (selecting it from the printer rather than using the set according to media type option) method. Don't do it too often as when you mage the change the heads need to be purged wasting quite a bit of ink each time.

If you are having to re-install your drivers each time then you may find settings in your applications are overriding the driver so maybe worth checking the settings in your applications each time before printing. Some applications remember the settings on a per application basis, other simply get their settings for paper etc from the driver.

emilyf
New MemberPosts: 1
In reply to Alpha Doug, Mar 31, 2013

I'm planning on buying an Epson R3000 just as long as it's compatible with mac mountain lion .How's it going for you?  Are you still having problems?

xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,673
In reply to emilyf, Apr 1, 2013

emilyf wrote:

I'm planning on buying an Epson R3000 just as long as it's compatible with mac mountain lion .How's it going for you?  Are you still having problems?

Rather than dredge up this old message I suggest you send a Private Message to the OP who is posting actively.

I'm locking this thread for now.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads