Help! I've fallen (for a wireless keyboard) and I can't get up (or down)

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions
Doug Bale
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Help! I've fallen (for a wireless keyboard) and I can't get up (or down)
Aug 14, 2012

I'm running InDesign CS6 on an iMac (Mountain Lion) with an Apple Wireless Keyboard. So far as I can find, InDesign has no specific commands to take the cursor to either the top or bottom of a multi-page document, and nor does the wireless keyboard have "home" or "end" keys that would do the same thing. I've hunted through both Apple's and Adobe's help forums with no success. Has anyone found how to do it?

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,764
Like?
Re: Help! I've fallen (for a wireless keyboard) and I can't get up (or down)
In reply to Doug Bale, Aug 14, 2012

Find all shortcuts with this app installed... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/learn-your-keyboard-shortcuts-using-cheatsheet-mac/

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pdxrunner
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to Doug Bale, Aug 14, 2012

Most apps support the keyboard shortcuts fn-uparrow and fn-downarrow for page up and page down, fn-leftarrow and fn-rightarrow for home and end. I only the the wireless keyboard or the MacBook Pro's keyboard - they have the same arrangement

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,906
Like?
In reply to pdxrunner, Aug 14, 2012

pdxrunner wrote:

Most apps support the keyboard shortcuts fn-uparrow and fn-downarrow for page up and page down, fn-leftarrow and fn-rightarrow for home and end. I only the the wireless keyboard or the MacBook Pro's keyboard - they have the same arrangement

I even think fn-leftarrow (and the other arrow-fn combinations) send exactly the same commands to all applications as a keyboard with home, end, up and down keys would do.

Doug Bale
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
In reply to Doug Bale, Aug 15, 2012

The fn-key doesn't appear to do quite that in Mountain Lion. Fn and the down arrow will take you to the last page (even if that's page 500 of a 500-page template in which you've only got half a dozen pages filled so far), but it won't move your cursor. Same with the fn-and-up-arrow combination. Fn and left or right arrows take you to the left or right end of the line you're on. But there's nothing to get you to the start or end of the entire text.

I thought it might just be a freak of InDesign, but the same thing seems to apply in Apple's own apps; I whipped up a dummy page in TextEdit and got the same result.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,906
Like?
In reply to Doug Bale, Aug 15, 2012

Doug Bale wrote:

The fn-key doesn't appear to do quite that in Mountain Lion. Fn and the down arrow will take you to the last page (even if that's page 500 of a 500-page template in which you've only got half a dozen pages filled so far), but it won't move your cursor. Same with the fn-and-up-arrow combination. Fn and left or right arrows take you to the left or right end of the line you're on. But there's nothing to get you to the start or end of the entire text.

I have not used a Mac with actual Home and End keys for over a decade, so what I see with fn-arrow is what I think Home and End would do. These key combination do much different things depending on where the cursor is, ie, they can act on a line, a page or a whole document. Even in applications that don't have editing enabled in normal use (eg, Acrobat), I get different behaviour depending on where I click on the page (using the selection cursor). I always thought that it was the applications themselves which interpreted the Home, End, etc. differently depending on context but maybe it is the OS sending something different to the application based on context, ie, sometimes sending a 'true Home' and sometimes sending something else.

To give a concrete example: with a pdf open in Acrobat and the selection tool selected, if I click into the margins (ie, such that the selection cursor disappears), fn-arrow gives me begin or end of document or one page up or down. If I click into some text (with the cursor appearing), fn-right/left-arrow only move inside the selected line of text.

For your benefit, I dug up an old (2001) Apple full-size keyboard and the behaviour of the Home, End, Up, and Down keys is exactly the same as fn-arrow on a compact keyboard. So, to me, I cannot see any difference between those keys and fn-arrows. But since they are not called Home, End, Up and Down on that Apple keyboard, I don't know what 'true' Home, End, etc. keys would do. Maybe the behaviour is different under Windows where those keys have these names.

I thought it might just be a freak of InDesign, but the same thing seems to apply in Apple's own apps; I whipped up a dummy page in TextEdit and got the same result.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug Bale, Aug 16, 2012

right after I switched to mac I also bought the apple wired keyboard with the numeric key pad just because I wanted the home and end keys and also a real backspace key and delete key.

having the keys I want is more important that having it be wireless.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=812534&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

Doug Bale wrote:

I'm running InDesign CS6 on an iMac (Mountain Lion) with an Apple Wireless Keyboard. So far as I can find, InDesign has no specific commands to take the cursor to either the top or bottom of a multi-page document, and nor does the wireless keyboard have "home" or "end" keys that would do the same thing. I've hunted through both Apple's and Adobe's help forums with no success. Has anyone found how to do it?

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads