RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 17, 2012

For a regular customer and under these conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if B&H made an exception. Call them for the RA and explain the situation. At least give it a try.

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D300 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pointed Sticks
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 17, 2012

Yes, I had this same problem, too. Ah, early adoption! Throw in a battery door opening when least expected, and a dust blob on the sensor and you get? Too good to be true long term....

Ryanide
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Aug 27, 2012

Yes, I emailed B&H and told them when I would be back and they extended the deadline for the RMA for me.

I found one camera shop in Florence, IT that had the RX100, but it was 649 euros and I was not about to pay an extra 30% just to have it for the last few days of my trip.

Very disappointing to have a new camera die, especially on the first day of an extended vacation. I had take about 850 photos with it, so it was not exactly unused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I just turned it on/off too many times. IT was never dropped or bumped or anything like that.

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave my DSLR at home!!!

Should be getting a replacement from B&H soon. And believe me I will be using it like crazy.

Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 11,033Gear list
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 27, 2012

8500 clicks with my RX100 so far...still going, so far so good...
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161
Like?
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 27, 2012

Ryanide wrote:

Yes, I emailed B&H and told them when I would be back and they extended the deadline for the RMA for me.

I bought my two RX100 from them, their reliable customer service is a great plus.

I found one camera shop in Florence, IT that had the RX100, but it was 649 euros and I was not about to pay an extra 30% just to have it for the last few days of my trip.

Very disappointing to have a new camera die, especially on the first day of an extended vacation. I had take about 850 photos with it, so it was not exactly unused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I just turned it on/off too many times. IT was never dropped or bumped or anything like that.

I sure hope it wasn't because you turned the camera on or off so many time, because, the'll be a lot of people experiencing the very same problem!

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave my DSLR at home!!!

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to villebon, Aug 27, 2012

villebon wrote:

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

Amen! And especially when traveling far. So, while I had Sony F828 to back up my Sony A55 during my last visit to London and India, I considered it a good idea to not rely entirely on my travel zoom lens either, and carried a 50mm and a 200mm to cover ground... just in case.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
whodunit
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 2 months ago

I have had this camera for two years and now it has this problem. I have reset camera and changed batteries but neither fixed problem.. Today I returned it to Sony and it'll cost $200. Well the camera is fairly capable but not very durable. I sent it back  first after owning it for just three months when a dust spot appeared on sensor. Now the lens sticks when trying to zoom and I get the power on power off message.  I cannot recommend this line of cameras for anyone looking for a decent pocket camera. It's got good weight but it's not a durable design....I think the Canon G series far more durable. Prior yo this the Canon G10 was my go to pocket camera and looks like i'll be dusting it off again.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487Gear list
Like?
In reply to RX100, 2 months ago

The Achilles Heel of the modern digital compact camera since its earliest days-the zooming and lens opening/closing mechanism gearing.  Good luck.

This will be the real test of Sony, Samsung, Fuji and Panasonic as they continue to innovate-WHAT ABOUT AFTER THE SALE WARRANTY SERVICE.

Serhan2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
In reply to whodunit, 2 months ago

+1, after 2 years also... I haven't sent mine yet. When I checked it was saying $225+tax plus my shipping cost, which is closing to $300 eg cost of new one... I had the same issue with Ricoh RX6 P&S and luckily it was under warranty and they fixed it by changing the lens unit.. Also I tried a Canon G7X and has a misaligned lens, so they are not the most durable ones esp for the initial purchase price...

whodunit wrote:

I have had this camera for two years and now it has this problem. I have reset camera and changed batteries but neither fixed problem.. Today I returned it to Sony and it'll cost $200. Well the camera is fairly capable but not very durable. I sent it back first after owning it for just three months when a dust spot appeared on sensor. Now the lens sticks when trying to zoom and I get the power on power off message. I cannot recommend this line of cameras for anyone looking for a decent pocket camera. It's got good weight but it's not a durable design....I think the Canon G series far more durable. Prior yo this the Canon G10 was my go to pocket camera and looks like i'll be dusting it off again.

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012
Like?
Try this
In reply to Serhan2, 2 months ago

Serhan2 wrote:

+1, after 2 years also... I haven't sent mine yet. When I checked it was saying $225+tax plus my shipping cost, which is closing to $300 eg cost of new one... I had the same issue with Ricoh RX6 P&S and luckily it was under warranty and they fixed it by changing the lens unit.. Also I tried a Canon G7X and has a misaligned lens, so they are not the most durable ones esp for the initial purchase price...

whodunit wrote:

I have had this camera for two years and now it has this problem. I have reset camera and changed batteries but neither fixed problem.. Today I returned it to Sony and it'll cost $200. Well the camera is fairly capable but not very durable. I sent it back first after owning it for just three months when a dust spot appeared on sensor. Now the lens sticks when trying to zoom and I get the power on power off message. I cannot recommend this line of cameras for anyone looking for a decent pocket camera. It's got good weight but it's not a durable design....I think the Canon G series far more durable. Prior yo this the Canon G10 was my go to pocket camera and looks like i'll be dusting it off again.

This worked for me and a number of others who experienced difficulties. You problem sounds slightly different but close enough. At the time I discovered this, several reports were around re cber cameras with the same issue and this solution seemed to work across various models. The following is the message I posted over a year ago when I found a solution. I have never had the problem since. Let me know how it goes.

I think I have fixed it. I wasn't game to try the dropping technique but I found that the E61 message occurs on a number of cybershot models. One person (on a different model) said he fixed his by keeping the camera cap on and holding the camera firmly, but not heavily)with the lens cap/lens against a table top facing down and keeping it like that while the camera turned on and initialized. I figured I couldn't do any harm trying this and Bingo. There was a slightly odd, but not alarming whirring and a very small vibration in the lens mechanism. The camera is now working perfectly. I am much relieved.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487Gear list
Like?
Re: Try this
In reply to Mike Fewster, 2 months ago

And what page of the manual described that procedure 

Mike Fewster
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 2 months ago

Gesture wrote:

And what page of the manual described that procedure

Nope, it sure isn't in any manual. But it fixed my RX1 and it has fixed other cybershot models. If you do some googling you will find that others first discovered that a sharp rap on the side of the lens could fix the issue, then a much safer way, ie this , was found. This can't hurt your camera, it resets the mechanism inside. Try it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster
Like?
Here is one of the threads

Mike Fewster wrote:

Gesture wrote:

And what page of the manual described that procedure

Nope, it sure isn't in any manual. But it fixed my RX1 and it has fixed other cybershot models. If you do some googling you will find that others first discovered that a sharp rap on the side of the lens could fix the issue, then a much safer way, ie this , was found. This can't hurt your camera, it resets the mechanism inside. Try it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3350699?page=2

If you go googling for lens problems with cybershots you will find more on this. Similar problems seem to often, not always, be associated with an error 61 message. I eventually found the method that fixed mine, a variation on that described in the thread above, in another forum altogether. I can't remember just where that info was, but as I said, it worked for me.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Serhan2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?

My problem is the reverse, eg lens doesn't come out when the camera starts, electronic works with a black screen and asks me to restart. Restarting doesn't solve anything...

Mike Fewster wrote:

This worked for me and a number of others who experienced difficulties. You problem sounds slightly different but close enough. At the time I discovered this, several reports were around re cber cameras with the same issue and this solution seemed to work across various models. The following is the message I posted over a year ago when I found a solution. I have never had the problem since. Let me know how it goes.

I think I have fixed it. I wasn't game to try the dropping technique but I found that the E61 message occurs on a number of cybershot models. One person (on a different model) said he fixed his by keeping the camera cap on and holding the camera firmly, but not heavily)with the lens cap/lens against a table top facing down and keeping it like that while the camera turned on and initialized. I figured I couldn't do any harm trying this and Bingo. There was a slightly odd, but not alarming whirring and a very small vibration in the lens mechanism. The camera is now working perfectly. I am much relieved.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Eu video frame rate is 25/50 US frame rate is 30/60
In reply to Ryanide, 2 months ago

Ryanide wrote:

thank you, although I'm not sure if I will be able to find a place that sells them today. I have my Canon 5D3 w/24L but that is not as light and easy for casual shots... : (

Might be a blessing in disguise.

I spent a couple of weeks in Rome with my RX100m2 (bought just before the trip) and my trusty RX1. Looking back on the photos it was really only the FF RX1 that managed the more interesting images, even though I utilized them both about equally.

Write to B&H and see if they can come up with a solution for you. Cameras in Europe cost a lot more than in the U.S.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

JAD1974
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Eu video frame rate is 25/50 US frame rate is 30/60
In reply to wazu, 4 weeks ago

Just thought I'd share that this happened to me on the day of my daughters birth - luckily I had an old 7D around to record the event.  Because it was an original RX100, I figured 'hey, it happens' and bought a RX100v3 a few weeks later when it came out.  Guess what - 20 pictures in "Turn off then Turn On' popped up on the NEW one as well.  What are the odds???

No amount of resetting could fix either one.  Luckily I had bought the new one from Amazon so I was able to return it.

Really a bummer because I actually really loved these little cameras up to that point.  Sucks it happened to you in Italy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads