RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 17, 2012

For a regular customer and under these conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if B&H made an exception. Call them for the RA and explain the situation. At least give it a try.

 PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D700 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pointed Sticks
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to RX100, Aug 17, 2012

Yes, I had this same problem, too. Ah, early adoption! Throw in a battery door opening when least expected, and a dust blob on the sensor and you get? Too good to be true long term....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ryanide
Ryanide OP
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Aug 27, 2012

Yes, I emailed B&H and told them when I would be back and they extended the deadline for the RMA for me.

I found one camera shop in Florence, IT that had the RX100, but it was 649 euros and I was not about to pay an extra 30% just to have it for the last few days of my trip.

Very disappointing to have a new camera die, especially on the first day of an extended vacation. I had take about 850 photos with it, so it was not exactly unused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I just turned it on/off too many times. IT was never dropped or bumped or anything like that.

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave my DSLR at home!!!

Should be getting a replacement from B&H soon. And believe me I will be using it like crazy.

 Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 11,919Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 27, 2012

8500 clicks with my RX100 so far...still going, so far so good...
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,176
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 27, 2012

Ryanide wrote:

Yes, I emailed B&H and told them when I would be back and they extended the deadline for the RMA for me.

I bought my two RX100 from them, their reliable customer service is a great plus.

I found one camera shop in Florence, IT that had the RX100, but it was 649 euros and I was not about to pay an extra 30% just to have it for the last few days of my trip.

Very disappointing to have a new camera die, especially on the first day of an extended vacation. I had take about 850 photos with it, so it was not exactly unused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I just turned it on/off too many times. IT was never dropped or bumped or anything like that.

I sure hope it wasn't because you turned the camera on or off so many time, because, the'll be a lot of people experiencing the very same problem!

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave my DSLR at home!!!

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to villebon, Aug 27, 2012

villebon wrote:

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

Amen! And especially when traveling far. So, while I had Sony F828 to back up my Sony A55 during my last visit to London and India, I considered it a good idea to not rely entirely on my travel zoom lens either, and carried a 50mm and a 200mm to cover ground... just in case.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
whodunit
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 10 months ago

I have had this camera for two years and now it has this problem. I have reset camera and changed batteries but neither fixed problem.. Today I returned it to Sony and it'll cost $200. Well the camera is fairly capable but not very durable. I sent it back  first after owning it for just three months when a dust spot appeared on sensor. Now the lens sticks when trying to zoom and I get the power on power off message.  I cannot recommend this line of cameras for anyone looking for a decent pocket camera. It's got good weight but it's not a durable design....I think the Canon G series far more durable. Prior yo this the Canon G10 was my go to pocket camera and looks like i'll be dusting it off again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to RX100, 10 months ago

The Achilles Heel of the modern digital compact camera since its earliest days-the zooming and lens opening/closing mechanism gearing.  Good luck.

This will be the real test of Sony, Samsung, Fuji and Panasonic as they continue to innovate-WHAT ABOUT AFTER THE SALE WARRANTY SERVICE.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Serhan2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to whodunit, 10 months ago

+1, after 2 years also... I haven't sent mine yet. When I checked it was saying $225+tax plus my shipping cost, which is closing to $300 eg cost of new one... I had the same issue with Ricoh RX6 P&S and luckily it was under warranty and they fixed it by changing the lens unit.. Also I tried a Canon G7X and has a misaligned lens, so they are not the most durable ones esp for the initial purchase price...

whodunit wrote:

I have had this camera for two years and now it has this problem. I have reset camera and changed batteries but neither fixed problem.. Today I returned it to Sony and it'll cost $200. Well the camera is fairly capable but not very durable. I sent it back first after owning it for just three months when a dust spot appeared on sensor. Now the lens sticks when trying to zoom and I get the power on power off message. I cannot recommend this line of cameras for anyone looking for a decent pocket camera. It's got good weight but it's not a durable design....I think the Canon G series far more durable. Prior yo this the Canon G10 was my go to pocket camera and looks like i'll be dusting it off again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,538
Like?
Try this
In reply to Serhan2, 10 months ago

Serhan2 wrote:

+1, after 2 years also... I haven't sent mine yet. When I checked it was saying $225+tax plus my shipping cost, which is closing to $300 eg cost of new one... I had the same issue with Ricoh RX6 P&S and luckily it was under warranty and they fixed it by changing the lens unit.. Also I tried a Canon G7X and has a misaligned lens, so they are not the most durable ones esp for the initial purchase price...

whodunit wrote:

I have had this camera for two years and now it has this problem. I have reset camera and changed batteries but neither fixed problem.. Today I returned it to Sony and it'll cost $200. Well the camera is fairly capable but not very durable. I sent it back first after owning it for just three months when a dust spot appeared on sensor. Now the lens sticks when trying to zoom and I get the power on power off message. I cannot recommend this line of cameras for anyone looking for a decent pocket camera. It's got good weight but it's not a durable design....I think the Canon G series far more durable. Prior yo this the Canon G10 was my go to pocket camera and looks like i'll be dusting it off again.

This worked for me and a number of others who experienced difficulties. You problem sounds slightly different but close enough. At the time I discovered this, several reports were around re cber cameras with the same issue and this solution seemed to work across various models. The following is the message I posted over a year ago when I found a solution. I have never had the problem since. Let me know how it goes.

I think I have fixed it. I wasn't game to try the dropping technique but I found that the E61 message occurs on a number of cybershot models. One person (on a different model) said he fixed his by keeping the camera cap on and holding the camera firmly, but not heavily)with the lens cap/lens against a table top facing down and keeping it like that while the camera turned on and initialized. I figured I couldn't do any harm trying this and Bingo. There was a slightly odd, but not alarming whirring and a very small vibration in the lens mechanism. The camera is now working perfectly. I am much relieved.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?
Re: Try this
In reply to Mike Fewster, 10 months ago

And what page of the manual described that procedure 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,538
Like?
Re: Try this
In reply to Gesture, 10 months ago

Gesture wrote:

And what page of the manual described that procedure

Nope, it sure isn't in any manual. But it fixed my RX1 and it has fixed other cybershot models. If you do some googling you will find that others first discovered that a sharp rap on the side of the lens could fix the issue, then a much safer way, ie this , was found. This can't hurt your camera, it resets the mechanism inside. Try it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,538
Like?
Here is one of the threads
In reply to Mike Fewster, 10 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

Gesture wrote:

And what page of the manual described that procedure

Nope, it sure isn't in any manual. But it fixed my RX1 and it has fixed other cybershot models. If you do some googling you will find that others first discovered that a sharp rap on the side of the lens could fix the issue, then a much safer way, ie this , was found. This can't hurt your camera, it resets the mechanism inside. Try it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3350699?page=2

If you go googling for lens problems with cybershots you will find more on this. Similar problems seem to often, not always, be associated with an error 61 message. I eventually found the method that fixed mine, a variation on that described in the thread above, in another forum altogether. I can't remember just where that info was, but as I said, it worked for me.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Serhan2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?
Re: Try this
In reply to Mike Fewster, 10 months ago

My problem is the reverse, eg lens doesn't come out when the camera starts, electronic works with a black screen and asks me to restart. Restarting doesn't solve anything...

Mike Fewster wrote:

This worked for me and a number of others who experienced difficulties. You problem sounds slightly different but close enough. At the time I discovered this, several reports were around re cber cameras with the same issue and this solution seemed to work across various models. The following is the message I posted over a year ago when I found a solution. I have never had the problem since. Let me know how it goes.

I think I have fixed it. I wasn't game to try the dropping technique but I found that the E61 message occurs on a number of cybershot models. One person (on a different model) said he fixed his by keeping the camera cap on and holding the camera firmly, but not heavily)with the lens cap/lens against a table top facing down and keeping it like that while the camera turned on and initialized. I figured I couldn't do any harm trying this and Bingo. There was a slightly odd, but not alarming whirring and a very small vibration in the lens mechanism. The camera is now working perfectly. I am much relieved.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Eu video frame rate is 25/50 US frame rate is 30/60
In reply to Ryanide, 10 months ago

Ryanide wrote:

thank you, although I'm not sure if I will be able to find a place that sells them today. I have my Canon 5D3 w/24L but that is not as light and easy for casual shots... : (

Might be a blessing in disguise.

I spent a couple of weeks in Rome with my RX100m2 (bought just before the trip) and my trusty RX1. Looking back on the photos it was really only the FF RX1 that managed the more interesting images, even though I utilized them both about equally.

Write to B&H and see if they can come up with a solution for you. Cameras in Europe cost a lot more than in the U.S.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JAD1974
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Eu video frame rate is 25/50 US frame rate is 30/60
In reply to wazu, 9 months ago

Just thought I'd share that this happened to me on the day of my daughters birth - luckily I had an old 7D around to record the event.  Because it was an original RX100, I figured 'hey, it happens' and bought a RX100v3 a few weeks later when it came out.  Guess what - 20 pictures in "Turn off then Turn On' popped up on the NEW one as well.  What are the odds???

No amount of resetting could fix either one.  Luckily I had bought the new one from Amazon so I was able to return it.

Really a bummer because I actually really loved these little cameras up to that point.  Sucks it happened to you in Italy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IMJAP
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to Ryanide, 5 months ago

OK, so I'm totally not recommending anyone try this.  However, when I google "RX100 lens stuck repair" this is one of the top links, so perhaps this might help someone.

So my lens stuck on my RX100 it would not retract completely and would not open.  It was about 98% retracted, sticking out about 2%.  I was dreading the $300+ Sony repair charge if I sent it in, as it's out of warranty.  Each time I turned the camera on I could hear the motor trying to open the lens and it would jiggle a little but not open.  This is how I fixed it myself (I'm sure luck played a big part and circumstance).

With the camera off I used my finger to slide over one half of the lens cover on one side.  I then used my fingernail to pull on the lens with slight outward pressure.  While applying a slight outward pressure with my nail, I turned the camera on and the lens protruded ever so slightly, it tried to retract back in but I kept the outward pressure on my nail and would not let it.  I repeated the process about 10x slowly pulling the lens out each time I hit the power button. Once fully extended I pulled out the battery and with my hand pushed the lens back into the camera until it clicked inward one time.  I inserted the battery and this time the lens retracted 100% into the camera body and then worked perfectly.

Im assuming the threading inside the lens barrel was miss threaded by one thread and by pushing it in with a little force, one click put the threading back into its original position.  I ran a few focus test shots and its focusing perfectly.

So again, I'm not recommending anyone try this as theres a good chance to make things worse., but for me, I bought the camera for $400 and instead of paying $300+ for sony to repair it I would have purchased a new camera instead as I was out of warranty, I felt I had little to lose by trying.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to IMJAP, 5 months ago

Achilles hell of modern digital cameras-reminds of windshield washer on most modern vehicles.  Put a couple more bucks into the lens gear train OEMs!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
precious09
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to Ryanide, 2 months ago

Check if your battery is charged I inserted a freshly charged battery camera worked just fine.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
precious09
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to Ryanide, 2 months ago

I posted before I don't know if you got it.

Check if you have a dead battery. I had the same problem, I inserted a freshly charged battery my Camera just working fine now.

precious09

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads