RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 17, 2012

For a regular customer and under these conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if B&H made an exception. Call them for the RA and explain the situation. At least give it a try.

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D300 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pointed Sticks
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 17, 2012

Yes, I had this same problem, too. Ah, early adoption! Throw in a battery door opening when least expected, and a dust blob on the sensor and you get? Too good to be true long term....

Ryanide
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Aug 27, 2012

Yes, I emailed B&H and told them when I would be back and they extended the deadline for the RMA for me.

I found one camera shop in Florence, IT that had the RX100, but it was 649 euros and I was not about to pay an extra 30% just to have it for the last few days of my trip.

Very disappointing to have a new camera die, especially on the first day of an extended vacation. I had take about 850 photos with it, so it was not exactly unused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I just turned it on/off too many times. IT was never dropped or bumped or anything like that.

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave my DSLR at home!!!

Should be getting a replacement from B&H soon. And believe me I will be using it like crazy.

Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 27, 2012

8500 clicks with my RX100 so far...still going, so far so good...
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 27, 2012

Ryanide wrote:

Yes, I emailed B&H and told them when I would be back and they extended the deadline for the RMA for me.

I bought my two RX100 from them, their reliable customer service is a great plus.

I found one camera shop in Florence, IT that had the RX100, but it was 649 euros and I was not about to pay an extra 30% just to have it for the last few days of my trip.

Very disappointing to have a new camera die, especially on the first day of an extended vacation. I had take about 850 photos with it, so it was not exactly unused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I just turned it on/off too many times. IT was never dropped or bumped or anything like that.

I sure hope it wasn't because you turned the camera on or off so many time, because, the'll be a lot of people experiencing the very same problem!

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave my DSLR at home!!!

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,156Gear list
Like?
In reply to villebon, Aug 27, 2012

villebon wrote:

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

Amen! And especially when traveling far. So, while I had Sony F828 to back up my Sony A55 during my last visit to London and India, I considered it a good idea to not rely entirely on my travel zoom lens either, and carried a 50mm and a 200mm to cover ground... just in case.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads