RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
Ryanide
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
Aug 13, 2012

First day in Venice Italy with my new RX100 and the camera is DEAD!!!

I shot about 300 photos with it. One time when powering off the lens got stuck and the screen said, Turn off power and turn back on. I did this and it was fine.

Later I tried to turn it off and the lens got stuck again half way. I tried removing the battery, and turning it off/on, pressing play to start it, even removed the battery and plugged in the power cord. Still nothing.

It partially opened, but not all the way. Then I get the power off/on message. When I power off, it closes almost all the way less than 1/16th still out (just a little) and it keeps trying to move it in and out.

I have left it off with no power or battery for several hours, still no luck. I think it is a gonner.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? Since I'm in Italy and leaving on a cruise I don't think I can get a replacement here or send it in right now.

Good thing I brought my other camera. This is really a bummer. I'm hoping someone knows some magic button sequence to reset it... ???

: (

Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andi Buchner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Lens stuck, will not reset.
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 13, 2012

I think it’s a mechanical error and needs to be fixed. But there are a lot of camera stores in Venice. Maybe you could buy a replacement RX100 and sell the repaired one after you’re back home @ eBay or so. Of course you’ll loose some money, but better than loosing unforgettable moments captured

Was yours sealed when you got it?

Andi Buchner's gear list:Andi Buchner's gear list
Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to Andi Buchner, Aug 13, 2012

I've had a similar problem.

My RX100 has locked up twice when shooting in Sweep Panorama mode, it becomes unresponsive, and won't change into other modes and won't switch off. The only thing I can do is take the battery out and reset the camera.

Anyone experience a similar problems?

nobblynoel
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to Andi Buchner, Aug 13, 2012

Ryanide
sorry to hear about your camera.

Funny thing I have just come back from Venice and a cruise with NCL..with a rx100

Loved it all
Venice is mad in a good way..
Have a great time..

nobbly

MadSquabbles
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 13, 2012

mine had locked up too. i took out the battery, pushed to power button to discharge any residual charge, then put the battery back in. went back in fine after that.

i was a bit worried though since it was only my second day having it.

javafool
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?

It's beginning to sound like Sony hired the Canon S100 mechanical lens design crew for the RX100. I hope this doesn't become a significant trend.

-- hide signature --

E-620 & E-30 DSLRs, E-P3 & OM-D E-M5, Canon S95 & Sony DX100

javafool's gear list:javafool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Ryanide
Like?
In reply to nobblynoel, Aug 13, 2012

Just called Sony and they had me try the Reset option under the tools menu, this did not do anything. So they told me the only thing they could do would be to setup a service repair and have me send in the camera. That really does not help me here in Italy. Plus, why would I send in a camera that is less than 3 weeks old?

I think this one is going back to B&H for a replacement when I get back home.

This is really upsetting because I really like this camera and the photos are great. I was looking forward to having it for my trip.

Any one know of any Pro camera shops in Venice that has them in stock?

Good thing I have my other camera with me!!

Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
Can I ask
In reply to nobblynoel, Aug 13, 2012

Can I ask, those who have seen a failure, did you change the (or what is) the setting on your 'power saving start time' option as listed in the menu under screen 1 of the spanner section.

I only ask because a few years ago, I had a camera power problem that I felt was linked to the power save setting.

The default on my RX100 when I bought it was 2 minutes, I just wondered if any of those affected changed their settings.
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

Ryanide
Like?
Re: Can I ask
In reply to normsmith, Aug 13, 2012

all default settings... ??

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

My camera doesn't completely shut down, it still looks normal, but when you press the shutter button it doesn't shoot, and it won't switch into another mode and won't switch off when the on/off button is pressed. I think it could be a bug that could be fixed via a firmware update. I don't think it's the same as the problem the OP is having.

Andi Buchner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 13, 2012
 Andi Buchner's gear list:Andi Buchner's gear list
Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS
Ann Chaikin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,882Gear list
Like?

Ouch! I hope you found a good camera store in Venice. It is too amazing a place to be without a camera. I am so sorry this has happened.
--
Ann Chaikin
Painting & Photography:
http://www.annchaikin.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annchaikin/
Photo a Day
http://www.blipfoto.com/ArtistAnnie
Family Websites:
http://www.chaikinsofbellingham.com

Ann Chaikin's gear list:Ann Chaikin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma DP2 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
tvBilly
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Eu video frame rate is 25/50 US frame rate is 30/60
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 14, 2012

Be aware that if you buy an RX100 in Italy (Europe) it will probably be set to shoot video at a 25/50 frame base rate, not the 30/60 frame rate for RX100s sold in the US.

Ryanide
Like?
Re: RX100 DEAD!!! Eu video frame rate is 25/50 US frame rate is 30/60
In reply to tvBilly, Aug 14, 2012

thank you, although I'm not sure if I will be able to find a place that sells them today. I have my Canon 5D3 w/24L but that is not as light and easy for casual shots... : (

guyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 14, 2012

If you miss the B&H 30 days return period you will have to send it to Sony for repair.

Ryanide wrote:

Just called Sony and they had me try the Reset option under the tools menu, this did not do anything. So they told me the only thing they could do would be to setup a service repair and have me send in the camera. That really does not help me here in Italy. Plus, why would I send in a camera that is less than 3 weeks old?

PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
In reply to guyv, Aug 15, 2012

That's really cold on Sony's part, why would they even suggest sending it in for repair, of course, you deserve no less than a new camera and you also deserve an apology from Sony as well. I think you should file a complaint on the Tech that said that to you. If this story gets around, it has a lot of potential to hurt Sony, and well it should, the average person would carry only the one camera. Only a Photographer carries back up equipment. This had the potential to ruin your whole trip!

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D300 +15 more
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Aug 15, 2012

That's rather hyperbolic... Every device will have some small percentage of units that fail. The trick is to keep that failure rate down to the bare minimum. One failed RX100 does not mean Sony should be damned.

In comparison, look at the Canon S100, which has had an epidemic of lens failures, and even a public admission from Canon -- when if RX100 ends up like that, then we can bash Sony for failing.

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

That's really cold on Sony's part, why would they even suggest sending it in for repair, of course, you deserve no less than a new camera and you also deserve an apology from Sony as well. I think you should file a complaint on the Tech that said that to you. If this story gets around, it has a lot of potential to hurt Sony, and well it should, the average person would carry only the one camera. Only a Photographer carries back up equipment. This had the potential to ruin your whole trip!

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?
It could be a lemon
In reply to Ryanide, Aug 15, 2012

Someone has to get the lemon.

At least, that's what I hope it is, and not a design flaw as with the early Canon ELPHs.

Ryanide wrote:

This is really upsetting because I really like this camera and the photos are great. I was looking forward to having it for my trip.

Any one know of any Pro camera shops in Venice that has them in stock?

Good thing I have my other camera with me!!

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,914Gear list
Like?
In reply to javafool, Aug 15, 2012

javafool wrote:

It's beginning to sound like Sony hired the Canon S100 mechanical lens design crew for the RX100. I hope this doesn't become a significant trend.

beginning to sound like based on one user reporting this hummm.

btw you need to change your sign ....never heard of the Sony DX100

-- hide signature --

E-620 & E-30 DSLRs, E-P3 & OM-D E-M5, Canon S95 & Sony DX100

-- hide signature --

All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,307Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marti58, Aug 15, 2012

b&h limit is 30 days for refund or exchange, so, if not back in time, perhaps you should call them now and get a registered RMA number and definition of time, case reference #, to avoid an issue.

http://www.bing.com/local/details.aspx?lid=YN618x33180656&qt=yp&what=b%26h+photo&where=New+Jersey+07103&s_cid=ansPhBkYp02&mkt=en-us&q=b%26h+photo&FORM=LARE

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads