G1X (PICS) - Cats, Steel, Fool's Gold & 30,000 volts

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,059Gear list
Like?
G1X (PICS) - Cats, Steel, Fool's Gold & 30,000 volts
Aug 13, 2012

• Cat's Eye from the side... ...My cat Quorra up VERY close!

G1X - P-Mode 1/60s f/5.8 at 60.4mm iso640 + 250D Closeup Lens + 580EX II Speedlite.

• Pinpointer probes ... essentially miniature metal detectors. There are used to locate gold nuggets, or even coins, when digging deep holes. NOTE: This is a rare example of me manipulating an image beyond a simple contrast/color enhancement: I deliberately blurred the background in the distance more than the camera had already achieved to artificially increase the DOF.

G1X - P-Mode 1/60s f/3.5 at 19.9mm iso1600 + Macro ON + 580EX II Speedlite.

• Natchez Bowie Knife ... I asked my wife to hold this so I could take a picture of it... Considered by master knife makers to be one of the finest examples of modern Bowie Knives, this one is made by Cold Steel and is made from VG-1 San Mai III laminated (layered) Cold Steel and Series 3000 Stainless Steel with a Mycarta handle. Virtually indestructible.

G1X - Av-Mode 1/60s f/9.0 at 21.3mm iso100 + Macro ON + 580EX II Speedlite.

• Natchez Bowie Knife Hilt ... with a highly polished 3000 series stainless pommel hilt and a nice countersunk stainless retention-cap screw. The hilt sits rearward from the black linen Mycarta nylon handle..

G1X - P-Mode 1/60s f/4.5 at 24.1mm iso640 + 250D Closeup Lens + 580EX II Speedlite.

• VERY large Plasma Ball ... mixed with research grade rare-earth gasses and running at up to 30kv (30,000 volts) when turn up to maximum.

G1X - P-Mode 1/25s f/2.8 at 15.1mm iso800

• Quorra, my black kitty ... Very tight closeup... and this one is a combination of two images: One where her nose was in focus and a second shot taken immediately afterwards with her eye in focus (this is the most common method for producing greater DOF with insects using macro lenses: Composites). You can see my cereal bowl reflected quite sharply in her eye... and she was after the milk at the bottom of the bowl.

G1X - P-Mode 1/60s f/5.6 at 48.1mm iso640 + 250D Closeup Lens + 580EX II Speedlite.

• Fools Gold ... A great macro of a specimen of Iron Pyrites which I needed to photograph for a book.

G1X - P-Mode 1/60s f/11.0 at 31.9mm iso320 + 250D Closeup Lens + 580EX II Speedlite.

• Tractor / Backhoe ... This vehicle has been digging in my neighborhood for months. The G1X takes a nice, crisp picture without a need for macro. I took this shot by sticking the camera lens through a wire fence and zooming in to the subject.

G1X - P-Mode 1/400s f/5.8 at 60.4mm iso800 + 250D Closeup Lens + 580EX II Speedlite.

• My cat, Quorra ... bringing me a paper ball to throw for her.

G1X - P-Mode 1/60s f/5.0 at 36.3mm iso640 + Macro ON + 580EX II Speedlite.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272
Like?
Re: G1X (PICS) - Cats, Steel, Fool's Gold & 30,000 volts
In reply to Marco Nero, Aug 13, 2012

This Canon G1X is so fantastic camera (at least in your hands), that I do not understand that storm caused by the newest Sony RX100. The G1X is just marginally more expensive, marginally larger (which in my opinion is a plus) and definitely far better from the ergonomics point of view. If I needed to buy a new camera right now, it will be for sure the Canon G1X and not the Sony RX100.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pineledger
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

Thanks for these images and for explaining how you got that great profile of your black kitty. When I approach our ginger, Ted, with the camera, he leaves! Leon, our tux, is more ready for his closeup.

RLBur
Contributing MemberPosts: 736Gear list
Like?
In reply to pineledger, Aug 13, 2012

Great pictures Marco....and that is what I call a Knife!
Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G7 X +8 more
arek daniel
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?

Damn you Macro!
Great images from G1X? - how dare you!
On the serious note - great images!

I bought one for my wife as most of her shots are low light pictures & loving it.
BTW Your photos/reviews are part of the reason I bought it, so big thank you!
--
http://flyeroz.smugmug.com/

Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
In reply to arek daniel, Aug 13, 2012

Great pics Marco.
If this is just Jpg with some PP I am Impressed.

peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,154Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oswald61, Aug 13, 2012

wonderful shots. I especially enjoyed the tractor picture. Colors look great as well as clarity and contrast.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
Otto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?

Quorra is a beautiful cat. My Rosie also likes to play with paper balls.

From one detectorist to another, I can't get over how Minelab made their pinpointer look so much like Garretts. Have you had a chance to use the Minelab yet?

Great shots. Makes me want a G1X.

Otto...

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S400 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Arcsoft Panorama Maker +13 more
newelly
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Nero, Aug 14, 2012

outstanding pics
--
newelly

newelly's gear list:newelly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Marco Nero
Like?
To Otto re: Detector Probes
In reply to Otto, Aug 14, 2012

Otto wrote:

Quorra is a beautiful cat. My Rosie also likes to play with paper balls.

From one detectorist to another, I can't get over how Minelab made their pinpointer look so much like Garretts. Have you had a chance to use the Minelab yet?

Great shots. Makes me want a G1X.

Otto...

Hi Otto

I used to work for ML and I did get an ML Pinpointer to use in these photographs... and I agree completely that it looks identical although Garrett seem to have used ML's design when designing the Super Scanner security wand. It's a better pinpointer than the Garrett in terms of initial tests.

I actually made a couple of YouTube videos with the ML Pinpointer using the G1X camera and edited the still and footage in iMovie: It's nothing slick but you can see them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78_qnkXg51Y
All video and stills by the G1X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h0-Y2kl0GBM
All video and stills by the G1X

I haven't used mine in the field yet but I intend to do so in a few weeks when Springtime kicks in here. I like the new probe and find that it is much more sensitive than the Garrett.

-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Marco Nero
Like?
Oswald - PP & JPEG
In reply to Oswald61, Aug 14, 2012

Oswald61 wrote:

Great pics Marco.
If this is just Jpg with some PP I am Impressed.

Thanks Oswald - I only shoot in JPEG (still). Just a little post-processing as I like to capture the essentials of the image in-camera wherever possible.

-- hide signature --
Marco Nero
Like?
Arek:
In reply to arek daniel, Aug 14, 2012

arek daniel wrote:

Damn you Macro!
Great images from G1X? - how dare you!
On the serious note - great images!

I bought one for my wife as most of her shots are low light pictures & loving it.
BTW Your photos/reviews are part of the reason I bought it, so big thank you!

Thanks arek, I hope you enjoy using the camera as much as I do. Obviously the real trick to getting an attractive looking photograph is to pick subjects that are lit in an interesting way.. or try to light them yourself. I took about three pictures of the tractor (for example) but the clouds were moving overhead at the time and the shot I ended up keeping had just the right angle and intensity of lighting on it. I get so many "keepers" from this camera compared to any other compact.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads