schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,257
Like?
Re: Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, Aug 13, 2012

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Let me just repeat what digloyd thinks ...

Digital Lloyd (who ever he is) and the D800 have absolutely no effect on my photography.

Yeah - mine either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,418
Like?
Re: this is HUGE
In reply to EOSHQ, Aug 13, 2012

When I explained how bad Canon 5dmk2 AF was there were many fanboys who screamed loudly. The variations were large in a series of images
When Rob G talked about 1dmk3 poor AF it was the same thing

I have a D800 since maj and have had access to also a 800E during the summer, none of these has incorrect AF.

Regarding shooting Canons 85/1,2mk2 without any variations at 1,2 = thats impossible, nor the lens AFmotor or the camera AF system has better tolerance than F 2.8, possibly 2.0 at right conditions .

Try to that with 50/1, 4 where the motor ratio and imprecise construction makes its impossible to get a series of crisp pictures = focal plane at the absolutely same place

EOSHQ wrote:

We heave known for months now that despite having a great sensor the D800 is not a great camera, the focus system is but one reason.

But for Lloyd, one of the most fervent Nikon supporters in the world to actually come out and tell the truth about it is wow... just wow... that is a very strong statement, it's Ashton Kutcher HUGE.

Nikon's failure to execute a proper camera design with the D800 is EPIC.

I can hear wailing and gnashing of teeth of the Nikon fanboi trolls who constantly pollute this forum from a mile away. This one will be fun unless it gets drowned in the denial.

-- hide signature --

Life is a battle wishes aunt Titti

Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,274Gear list
Like?
In reply to schmegg, Aug 13, 2012

schmegg wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Digital Lloyd (who ever he is) and the D800 have absolutely no effect on my photography.

Yeah - mine either.

Actually I'm about to pick up a 5Dc so I can hang out with you guys more often over here.

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,257
Like?

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Yeah - mine either.

Actually I'm about to pick up a 5Dc so I can hang out with you guys more often over here.

LOL!

Beware though - the AF aint that great!

Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,418
Like?
Re: I'm getting a super sized popcorn ready for all the action! Nt
In reply to VivaLasVegas, Aug 13, 2012

burr sa casper när han fick se en naken häst

VivaLasVegas wrote:

My nephews G9 can smoke D800's AF system, the new rebel is more accurate. Nikon AF is no better than a point and shot camera, that is the truth!

-- hide signature --

Life is a battle wishes aunt Titti

dogcow23
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

why would anyone who buy a D800 want to shoot at wide apertures i.e. 1.4 etc.... all you would get is blur. What a waste of such a great sensor. D800 should always be shot at f8 and above. you want the image to be sharp to enjoy all of those pixels.

D800 is always compares to MF cameras, how often do you see MF cameras being shot at 1.4?

Shaun_Nyc
Like?

schmegg wrote:

Well, I have time w the 5DII so I expect the same. Had the 5Dc in 06' for a short time but can barely remember it. Ill start w 35L .

14L II

135L

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,439Gear list
Like?
Reikan Focal said on their blog....
In reply to iShootWideOpen, Aug 13, 2012

that the 5D3 was the most consistent AF system they've tested if I remember correctly. I can't find the link to the blog post but if someone else has it please post.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +20 more
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,447
Like?
Re: Reikan Focal said on their blog....
In reply to rwbaron, Aug 13, 2012

rwbaron wrote:

that the 5D3 was the most consistent AF system they've tested if I remember correctly. I can't find the link to the blog post but if someone else has it please post.

Here's the link:
http://www.facebook.com/ReikanFoCal/posts/381729245180500

SubPrime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?

iShootWideOpen wrote:

Read (link below) what the ultimate Nikon homer has to say.

Yeah, the 85 1.4 shot wide open does not give consistntly accurate focus at disatnces of 80 feet or greater.

That should impact all of 1% of D800 shooters.

SubPrime
Like?
Re: Someone wake up SubPrime I think he's asleep poor fella. NT
In reply to Apewithacamera, Aug 13, 2012

Apewithacamera wrote:

no text

Like I mentioned to Schmegg, most peopel don't shoot 85mm primes wid open at 80 feet or more, so while this test shows the D800 AF might have limitations, they will probably affect few shooters.

Think of it as the equivalent of lousy DR at ISO 100. You get banding in the shadows, but you learn to live with it.

Shaun_Nyc
Like?
In reply to SubPrime, Aug 13, 2012

SubPrime wrote:

iShootWideOpen wrote:

Read (link below) what the ultimate Nikon homer has to say.

Yeah, the 85 1.4 shot wide open does not give consistntly accurate focus at disatnces of 80 feet or greater.

That should impact all of 1% of D800 shooters.

Just for reference, this is the 85D @1.6 around 60ft shot thru a window, it's not a D800

SubPrime
Like?
No it's not HUGE EOSHQ
In reply to EOSHQ, Aug 13, 2012

EOSHQ wrote:

We heave known for months now that despite having a great sensor the D800 is not a great camera, the focus system is but one reason.

The 5D2 has a terribel AF and was a great camera. The D800's AF is far superior to the 5D2's AF and has a superior sensor.

So how does that make the D800 anything less than a great camera?

But for Lloyd, one of the most fervent Nikon supporters in the world to actually come out and tell the truth about it is wow... just wow... that is a very strong statement, it's Ashton Kutcher HUGE.

Again, not really. He has tested the 85mm prime shot wide open and found there are AF inconsistencies shot wide open at 80 feet or more. That's pretty much a non issue.

Here's why:

1. The test only pertains to ONE lens.

2. The lens is a portrait lens, meaning that 99% of shots will be taken within the distance that Chambers says he gets consistent AF results.
3. At 80 feet, a 6 person fills half the frame in landscape orientation.

Nikon's failure to execute a proper camera design with the D800 is EPIC.

Again, there is sufficient evidence to the contrary.

I can hear wailing and gnashing of teeth of the Nikon fanboi trolls who constantly pollute this forum from a mile away. This one will be fun unless it gets drowned in the denial.

All I can say is that the 5D3 must be a major anti climax if the greatest pleasure you can get is from perecived flaws in a rival camera.

Michael H
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?

Nikon's 1D III moment. Lets hope they go better than Canon, who was in denial for some time.

SubPrime
Like?

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Just for reference, this is the 85D @1.6 around 60ft shot thru a window, it's not a D800

Yes and that AF is the precursor to the D800.

Rob
Rob
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?

My 5D3 and 50 1.2L focuses better than when it was on my 5D2, but still not as good as I'd hoped. What is the difficulty in making a fast fifty focus reliably for Canon? (Yes, I understand small depth of field.... I'm talking focusing 2 feet in front). Number of keepers better, but still doesn't match my other L lenses.

SubPrime
Like?

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

chipmaster wrote:

Why post in the Canon forum, you should post in Nikon Smokes is an interesting verb, clearly not from someone familar with either Nikon's top line nor Canon's.

Bingo ! These fanboys stick out like a turd in a punchbowl

You went and did chipmaster. You went and spoiled Canon faboy's fun with a reality check.

Shame on you.

Shaun_Nyc
Like?
In reply to Rob, Aug 13, 2012

Rob wrote:

My 5D3 and 50 1.2L focuses better than when it was on my 5D2, but still not as good as I'd hoped. What is the difficulty in making a fast fifty focus reliably for Canon? (Yes, I understand small depth of field.... I'm talking focusing 2 feet in front). Number of keepers better, but still doesn't match my other L lenses.

the 50L has known focus shift issues. Great images when it grabs on tho

SubPrime
Like?

schmegg wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

chipmaster wrote:

Why post in the Canon forum, you should post in Nikon Smokes is an interesting verb, clearly not from someone familar with either Nikon's top line nor Canon's.

Bingo ! These fanboys stick out like a turd in a punchbowl

Oooo - this news has really stung the Nikon fanclub hasn't it! LOL!

"So here’s the bottom line: can I point a Nikon D800 + ƒ1.4 prime at a subject at a moderate to far distance, hit the AF button and consistently get a sharply-focused image at ƒ1.4 or ƒ2? The answer is a resounding “NO” ."

Let me repeat what else he says:

'At closer range, my past experience has seen better results, e.g. focusing on eyes for portraits. So my comments must be taken in context of “medium and far” distance, and also with f/1.4 lenses in the 24mm - 85mm range."

And he goes on to say that his issues pertain to Nikon AF-S ƒ 1.4 lenses.

So yeah, it's still class leading.

Shaun_Nyc
Like?

SubPrime wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Yes and that AF is the precursor to the D800.

Its a D3 and it shoots circles (focus wise) around the 800 even though its 4 yrs old now. I shot the 800 with all my lens, not even close. I feel a D4x on the horizon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads