Sick to death of this ridiculous forum

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?
Sick to death of this ridiculous forum
Aug 12, 2012

The whining used to be occasional, now people feel the need to bring every time problem and issue on here and make it sound like a nuclear bomb went off. Frankly the lack of basic knowledge, skill, and even the fact that most people can't read and understand simple instructions in £3000+ cameras is staggering to me. The D800 and to a lesser extent the D4, in being Nikon's greatest ever achievements have become their own worst enemy - they have simply attracted far too many individuals who haven't the first clue about what they're doing. And to boot this forum is now troll bait used as nothing more than to publicly berate Nikon, and I've had enough of reading this every day. No moderation, no interest. Adiós!

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 10,812
Like?
Re: Sick to death of this ridiculous forum
In reply to russbarnes, Aug 12, 2012

If you find a better forum, please let me know. I wandered around a few others last year, but ended up coming back here.

People are people, wherever you go. Although the lack of moderation has not been good for dpreview.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boels069
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?

Oh well, check russbarnes' recent activity

boels069's gear list:boels069's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite
ShootDuringTwilight
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
I just did check his forum activity thanks to your post
In reply to boels069, Aug 12, 2012

boels069 wrote:

This Russ is a pathetic loser. What an angry person. We can all see who the troll really is (re. he seems to have been calling pretty much everyone a troll who posts and opinion different to his).

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 10,812
Like?

boels069 wrote:

His increasing frustration has been obvious in his recent posts.

-- hide signature --
straightpipes
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

sinl
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

I more than agree. There is a lot of text, but no content. The only reason for coming back here is that I hope someone posts an alternative place, where we talk about photography and not about how we want to be in charge at Nikon, or are focused - funny in this context - on the left-AF-sensor only.

Maybe the D800 should get a Forum that is separated from this one, then those who are not interested in photographing a poster on the wall with some kind of pattern with the left sensor only.

At the same time I vote that the word "troll" should be banned from this Forum.

OK, I go out with my camera and enjoy making photos.

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 645
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Aug 12, 2012

Unfortunately this is a fact of the internet. Worryingly this is still considerabally better than many web sites.

straightpipes
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to sinl, Aug 12, 2012
orchidblooms
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?

i am complete noob to photog forums... and yes there seems often to be allot of codswallop, twaddle and often hostility here...

often i see more vitriol here than i have ever seen in any of my other hobby or profession forums i have participated in since the days of 1997 newsgroups when i first started to use the http://www ....

eventually, this will cause this forum to fade away if it keeps up, and especially so, if it gets worse...

someone will come along with a better, more useful mousetrap

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,552Gear list
Like?
Chill out and look on the positive

The better the product, the more it gets trolled due to those who have another brand of camera trying to knock it down in order to make their camer look better. You should be happy, not upset.

I look at all the trolls coming here trying to denegrate as a mark of respect for the D800 and D4.
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472
Like?
Agree
In reply to Lance B, Aug 12, 2012

I give more weight to Russ's opinions based on the quality of the images he has posted, but we get more and more of the " just received my camera and it has this wrong...." or " i did a quick hand held test at f1.4 of a subject 3ft from the camera and the af is inaccurate " from people who are starting threads before they have charged the battery or read the manual ! These threads take on a life of their own once started often with the OP making no further contribution and not posting any examples of the perceived issue, sometimes if there are issues you have to take a very honest look at where the real problem lies ?

I have owned my D800 since April, the images I am capturing are without doubt the best technical quality I have ever achieved ( the artistic side is always open to debate ! ) I feel sorry for those who are delaying a purchase based on the threads by people who perceive there is a problem with their camera as they are depriving themselves of working with one of the most rewarding cameras yet produced. I visit here hoping to learn something not read endless threads which degenerate into exchanges of personal insults, thanks Russ for speaking up, please let me know if you find a suitable home for your contributions.

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

Russ,

Sorry to say goodbye.

I've also noticed that the forum isn't as good as it use to be. I will still be visiting but not as much as i have in the past. I'll still visit you website as your work is excellent.

Andrew
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
In reply to exposure, Aug 12, 2012

Have enjoyed your images and your contributions to the forum in the past. Served as the inspiration for me to get a PC-E lens which I am now thoroughly enjoying (thanks for the advice on the PC-E 45).

I understand your frustration and it has gotten a little repetitive - hope we return to more discussion about techniques and photography.

Having lived in London had always thought of the English countryside as well, a bit mundane but you somehow manage to capture the beauty of it. Happy shooting.

Till next time.

cna
cna
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Fully agree with you

Unmoderated forum like this one quickly become useless.
It has nothing to do with photography anymore; it is, at best, entertainment.

As shame for DPReview which was for me, a few years ago , a good source of information.

I will certainly continue to visit your excellent website which is for me a very good source of inspiration

Best regards
Philippe

primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911
Like?
In reply to inasir1971, Aug 12, 2012

inasir1971 wrote:

Have enjoyed your images and your contributions to the forum in the past. Served as the inspiration for me to get a PC-E lens which I am now thoroughly enjoying (thanks for the advice on the PC-E 45).

I understand your frustration and it has gotten a little repetitive - hope we return to more discussion about techniques and photography.

Having lived in London had always thought of the English countryside as well, a bit mundane but you somehow manage to capture the beauty of it. Happy shooting.

Till next time.

Agree. I lived in south of england and ESP around London. I cannot think of a more boring place to be a landscape photog. Well...then there is norfolk, where landscape photographers come to die...

GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,733Gear list
Like?
In reply to golf1982, Aug 12, 2012

golf1982 wrote:

Unfortunately this is a fact of the internet. Worryingly this is still considerabally better than many web sites.

Really? Oh, that is bad news.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,055Gear list
Like?
Actually, Russ is a valued long time poster.
In reply to ShootDuringTwilight, Aug 12, 2012

You, on the other hand are obviously rude, looking at YOUR posting history.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Talarspeed
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

I agree! There are other sites I now visit when I want accurate and true information. Why isn't there a moderator on the forums?

Talarspeed's gear list:Talarspeed's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,707
Like?
+1 ... Re: Agree
In reply to Art Jacks, Aug 12, 2012

I more than agree.

Art Jacks wrote:

... the images I am capturing are without doubt the best technical quality I have ever achieved ( the artistic side is always open to debate ! ) ...

-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads