Like?
Sony NEX hack is go – 46Mbit 1080p tested
Aug 12, 2012
skalsa1
Regular MemberPosts: 388Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX hack is go – 46Mbit 1080p tested
In reply to skalsa1, Aug 12, 2012

The video after the break shows the hack in action, and proof that it can be done.
http://vimeo.com/47368582#
thats pretty interesting topic for NEX 5 users
I cant wait to see some samples with that hack.
5N will continue

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?

Nice and interesting - but WHO needs it? (my) NEX cameras work 1a - so no desire to ruin them

SAIUN666
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

There is no hack and there certainly is no 46mbps video mode for NEX cameras.

Someone has looked around through the source files of the camera's firmware. This may potentially lead to a hack, or it may not. The person who's responsible doesn't even own a NEX-5N or NEX-7.

SAIUN666's gear list:SAIUN666's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +5 more
behyer
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to SAIUN666, Aug 12, 2012

Well, I for one would be thrilled if the video compression of the NEX-7 could be dialed back. Shooting 1080p60 and conforming to 24p gives a great-looking slo-mo, but as has been mentioned, the compression really screws things up.

I would pay for such a "hack."

In lieu of this (or better yet, as long as Someone is hacking), having a clean HDMI out would suffice.

behyer's gear list:behyer's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Sony NEX hack is go – 46Mbit 1080p rumored ... for "all believers"
In reply to behyer, Aug 12, 2012

behyer wrote:

Did you win in lottery? I wouldn't pay for such a hack. Even not $ 0.00

Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,863Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX hack is go – 46Mbit 1080p rumored ... for "all believers"
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 12, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

behyer wrote:

Did you win in lottery? I wouldn't pay for such a hack. Even not $ 0.00

There are quite few people happy with Panasonic G series hacks it seems. Magic Lantern for Canon too is gaining popularity.

For some weird reason manufacturers limit the stuff you can do with the camera. So hardware is much more capable but it is not unleashed.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
dka91
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX hack is go – 46Mbit 1080p rumored ... for "all believers"
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 12, 2012

Well thats you, and clearly as you would not want to "ruin" your camera with a hack you would not pay for one.

But Im sure there are many who would want the perks of the hack (and would pay a price for it), regardless payment could not legally be received for the hack apparently anyway.

I think its pretty cool all in all.

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
misleading thread title and website, no news here

original poster skalsa1: Sony NEX hack is go – 46Mbit 1080p tested: look at

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8722/sony-nex-5n-hack-is-go-46mbit-1080p-tested:

eoshd.com: A guy named Someone 1.00 is able to hack the NEX series of Sony mirrorless cameras for higher bitrates in video mode and more. The video after the break shows the hack in action, and proof that it can be done...Sources say that this hack can allow

Uh, does this hack exist, or is it just the kind of hack that could conceivably allow something-or-other if it did exist and worked properly?

eoshd.com: (Please note this is just my speculation and nothing is confirmed yet)...To hack the newer Sony cameras like the NEX 5N, he needs the body to dump the firmware.

Oh, I see, maybe the hack's up and running on some other Nex besides a 5n, the poor guy just needs a 5n to spread the good news further. Everyone's just forgotten to post an example of "the hack" and its results in action.

The EOShd website then goes on to show a ridiculously simplistic sequence of somebody with a binary editor simply paging through some binary code . Yeah, that's "tested evidence". That I guess is supposed to be from some example of the "Nex series of Sony mirrorless cameras".

Hurray, someone is able to view a few binary characters that might even be Nex firmware. Well, that's almost exactly the same as getting all Nex's to have useful new video modes appear on their menus.

Maybe I'm missing something? Where is the 46Mbit (less-compressed) 1080p video that some modified Nex can now generate? Posted alongside the more-compressed video from the same camera? Along with a plausible update procedure? With screen shots of the new Nex menu item that gets you to the new option?

I.e. where's the tested part?

gstefane
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to skalsa1, Aug 13, 2012

can this be "transformed" to work on some higher fps with "regular" compression - getting some 1080/120p or more? or if anyone knows some trick to get more than 60fps, not necessarily 1080, even 720, but 120fps+.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads