EVF Makes the NEX-5n

Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions
JPWQ60
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
EVF Makes the NEX-5n
Aug 11, 2012

Just received the EVF for the new-5N. As a Nikon DSLR D90 user I was disappointed with the Nex-5N. Could not get used to the LCD. Went to the lakefront with the EVF and now I love the camera. Great shots and easy to carry on the bike ! Only question is whether it's worth spending the NEX-5N plus the EVF vs the Nex-7.

JPWQ60's gear list:JPWQ60's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1
Nikon D90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sye46
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?
Re: EVF Makes the NEX-5n
In reply to JPWQ60, Aug 11, 2012

Yes I knew if I got a mirror less it had to have a viewfinder. I calculated the cost of the 5N body + EVF + flash + hotshoe adapter is near the price of the Nex7, but I also get the tri-navi system and I don't need to carry all those accessories around so the Nex 7 was a no brainer for me.

Enjoy your new EVF and 5N!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gallen1955
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

JPWQ60 wrote:

Only question is whether it's worth spending the NEX-5N plus the EVF vs the Nex-7.

I was struggling with this very question for a while. The better high ISO performance of 5n, price and availability (at that time) decided the issue. Anyway you can twist the external EVF when needed. OTOH the external EVF sticks out like a sore thumb which may cause transport problems. A good bag that allows to have the EVF be always attached is helpful.

Happy shooting,

Seppo

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to Gallen1955, Aug 11, 2012

A camera without EVF is a toy.
A camera with additional EVF is a toy with additional EVF.

rtol
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Aug 11, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

A person who likes to post in every thread with their smug, snide opinions that add nothing to the discussion is annoying.

JPWQ60
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to rtol, Aug 11, 2012

If spending approx. $1000 on a state of the art camera equates to a toy then I did a bad job of shopping. However, if spending more money makes you smarter then I made a bad choice. I wish we all had unlimited funds however the fun of shopping and investigating would be lost. I'm happy with what I have ! Q

JPWQ60's gear list:JPWQ60's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1
trainerKEN
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to rtol, Aug 11, 2012

rtol wrote:

Knallberto wrote:

A person who likes to post in every thread with their smug, snide opinions that add nothing to the discussion is immature .

fixed -----------------------^^^

skalsa1
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?

same here. i used to have 5n + evf. that combo was pretty pricey. i was worried about evf so i sold it. than i had problem with manual focus while sunny days. so i sold 5n and bought 7 for very good price. they are both very good cams. i wish i had them both togeather

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

JPWQ60 wrote:

Just received the EVF for the new-5N. As a Nikon DSLR D90 user I was disappointed with the Nex-5N. Could not get used to the LCD. Went to the lakefront with the EVF and now I love the camera. Great shots and easy to carry on the bike ! Only question is whether it's worth spending the NEX-5N plus the EVF vs the Nex-7.

I can tell you the 5n with the EVF has a HUGE advantage over the NEX 7 ... and that is the EVF on the NEX 5n can be articulated for low shots or strange angled shots. For me, this is one of the reasons I bought the 5n.

Yes, the 7 has better resolution, yes the 7 has tri nav, but the articulating EVF is a major plus for me.

Yes, I know the Sony EVF is expensive as heck, feels cheap, but it works and works well IMHO.

wll

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,604Gear list
Like?
In reply to wll, Aug 12, 2012

It may depend on your starting point but those still considering the add on EVF need to remember that using it excludes the use of a flash. It came too late in my opinion & new buyers would do well to wait for the NEX 6
--
Keith C

Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Aug 12, 2012

Keit ll wrote:

It may depend on your starting point but those still considering the add on EVF need to remember that using it excludes the use of a flash. It came too late in my opinion & new buyers would do well to wait for the NEX 6
--
Keith C

Or I suppose they could currently buy the NEX F3, which already allows the use of the accessory EVF and the built-in flash, if they don't want to go as far up the range as the NEX 6 would be.

kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,367Gear list
Like?
In reply to JPWQ60, Aug 12, 2012

much agreed!

Ever since I had been using Konica Minolta A2 with it's fantastic tilting EVF some years ago I had been waiting for an EVIL successor. When the optional EVF became available the NEX5N became that successor.

The A2 has much better access to settings and is more pro featured ( but with an outdated sensor and it is a bridge with fixed zoom lens ) still to me the EVF tilting made the 5N much preferable to NEX7

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Bruce Bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?

JPWQ60 wrote:

The EVF is a pretty amazing change to the -5N, isn't it? Initially (12/2011) I had the -5N with the 18-200mm. Then my -7 arrived in late March and I struggled to decide if it was worth it to keep the -7 as the -5N is really exceptional. If you ignore not being able to use the EVF & flash simultaneously, the difference is about $250US for an additional 8 MPx and images that are very comparable.

Eventually I had to nit pik to separate the cameras:

• the EVF snagged on clothing & the bag

• I liked the bulk of the -7 better as it fit my hands better which I thought would help keep me from tripping the Video button so easily (it doesn't help!)

• with the 18-200mm, the -5N was less balanced since that lens is pretty heavy for it

• there's a problem with CA on the -7 with certain legacy lenses

So for me the differences were trivial, but ultimately (in spite of my beloved wife doing a rain dance on my head for spending more $$$) I settled on the -7. I'm happy with the decision and think the camera is as good as it gets right now for hardware.

I've also accepted that any firmware or button-operation changes Sony might create will come packaged in a new camera and that the NEX-7 will never be updated. I'm not happy about this aspect of Sony corporate culture, but that's how it is and I can deal with it since the NEX-7 is about as close to what I want in a camera as anything I've seen.
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
Bruce Bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to Helen, Aug 12, 2012

Helen wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

--
Keith C

Or I suppose they could currently buy the NEX F3, which already allows the use of the accessory EVF and the built-in flash, if they don't want to go as far up the range as the NEX 6 would be.

Good point Helen!
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 20,210Gear list
Like?
Indeed it does! I'm with you...

I bought the 5N to replace my NEX3 specifically to get at the EVF, knowing it was the one thing I needed to make the NEX climb from an occasional use camera for emergencies to something I'd actually WANT to use instead of the DSLR on occasion. I was spot-on, and it's definitely the single greatest transformative purchase I can think of.

I am one who actually prefers the NEX5N with EVF over the NEX7...each person just needs to weigh out their preferences, needs, and wants on that one...I'd buy the 5N over the 7 even if the price were identical. My personal list of preferences are:
I like the smaller overall body as that was a key pursuit for me
I like the tilting EVF over a fixed one

I like that I can remove the EVF and slim the camera down for maximum portability, moduler-style
I don't use flash on the NEX, so there's no conflict for me on that one

I prefer the 16MP sensor's overall IQ, delivery, feel, etc over the 24MP - it feels to me like a 'less work involved' sensor - no resizing, no post processing, needed to get the best results throughout the ISO range.

Neither is better I think - just different approaches. Some may prefer the all-built in body, the ability to use flash with EVF, the higher resolution, the ability to crop more, the larger body style, etc. I prefer the other approach.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +22 more
ChrisKramer1
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?

I had the EVF for a couple of days and then returned it. As a glasses wearer, I found it impossible to use it with the eye cap. However, even then my glasses kept banging against it. Weird, I didn't have this problem on the EVF for my GF1.

It doesn't really work with the NEX5n either. I found it was not possible to frame comfortably due to the fact that it is raised so much from the body and the body itself is so small. Cradling it in the hands to use the LCD is no problem but holding it like a rangefinder is not really possible.

The deal-breaker though is the fragility of the thing. I was surprised how far you have to screw the EVF on and it is hard to know tell when it is on properly. That screw is really thin, too, and gave me no confidence. It is simply not possible to take it on and off quickly (with the GF1's EVF, it was simply a question of sticking it in the hotshoe). Sony advise you to remove it whenever transporting it, which also set the alarm bells ringing.

I would definitely advise people NOT to buy this accessory. At 300 Euros that is an awful lot of money for something so fragile.

Kookie B
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
In reply to rtol, Aug 12, 2012

+1!

rtol wrote:

Knallberto wrote:

A person who likes to post in every thread with their smug, snide opinions that add nothing to the discussion is annoying.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,253Gear list
Like?

I went for the NEX-7. I like using fill flash when I shoot people in bright sun light and having the ability to use both flash and the EVF at the same time was important to me

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
vajrasattva
Contributing MemberPosts: 809Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed it does! I'm with you...
In reply to zackiedawg, Aug 13, 2012

I'm with you Justin on this one. I really wanted to love the 7 so I could convince myself I needed it. But when it came down to the EVF on the 5N compared with the 7, for me the position of the EVF on the 5n was just more comfortable (more like my old D80) and provided a better balance for handling. In addition, my glasses seemed to fit better in the 5n EVF than on the 7. And once you set up your custom buttons, you don't need to remove the camera for your eye for any setting adjustments, I don't think I have taken a photo without using the EVF now. I love it! Jane.

vajrasattva's gear list:vajrasattva's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kookie B, Aug 13, 2012

+ i ..... welcome to my ignore list

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads