RX100 - constant pre-focusing in af-s, display off and slight lens barrel play

Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions
Carl bcn
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
RX100 - constant pre-focusing in af-s, display off and slight lens barrel play
Aug 11, 2012

Hi, I've had the RX100 for a couple of days now and, I've solved most of my doubts thanks to the power of google (many of my searches lead me to this forum, so thanks to everybody who contributed), but there are some things I haven't been able yet to clarify:

• Even though I have selected AF-single shot (not tracking, not continuous), the camera is constantly pre-focusing while I do nothing but hold the camera in my hand while I walk. I find it annoying and I guess it's wasting battery energy. But as far as I know, there's no way to change this behavior, am I right? (At least on PASM modes).

• For the same reason (battery waste), I'd like to be able to turn off the screen manually or at least have it turned off automatically after a certain amount of time - not turning off the camera, just the display. Again, I'm afraid this isn't possible, is it?

• When I walk with the camera turned on in my hand, and I turn my wrist or lift the camera to my eyes, I can sometimes feel as if something relatively chunky (not a tiny little thing) made some kind of contact with the camera structure every now and then. I don't know how to explain, it's not like something is totally loose, just that it has some play. I assume it is the lens barrel, since I can push it a little - it's not 100% rigidly locked in place (this only happens when the camera is on and the barreal is extended). But maybe it has nothing to do with that, and it's caused by the steady shot mechanism... or with the constant autofocus I just mentioned above. Anyway, this seems to have no effect on the quality my photos, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

Thanks for your help!!

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161
Like?
Re: RX100 - constant pre-focusing in af-s, display off and slight lens barrel play
In reply to Carl bcn, Aug 11, 2012

Carl bcn wrote:

• Even though I have selected AF-single shot (not tracking, not continuous), the camera is constantly pre-focusing while I do nothing but hold the camera in my hand while I walk.

Have you tried pressing the center button to turn it off when the lcd indicates that auto tracking is on?

-- hide signature --

Villebon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Albert C. Lee
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?
The camera is always pre-focusing, has nothing to do with tracking
In reply to villebon, Aug 11, 2012

The camera is definitely doing a bit of pre-focus work so the time to focus when you're ready to shoot is shorter. At least that's my best theory.

Have you tried pressing the center button to turn it off when the lcd indicates that auto tracking is on?

-- hide signature --
 Albert C. Lee's gear list:Albert C. Lee's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Carl bcn
Like?
Re: RX100 - constant pre-focusing in af-s, display off and slight lens barrel play
In reply to villebon, Aug 11, 2012

Villebon: Yes, I tried that because I thought it was autotracking something, but autotracking is off . Also, it is not tracking a specific target: it just focuses on the closest object, it seems. Thanks anyway!

Albert C. Lee: Yes, I think that's the reason, since I've seen that behavior before on some Canon compacts. But it was possible to disable it and change the setting from "continuous" to "shot only"... which seems to be not an option here. Thanks for your help.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,257Gear list
Like?

Carl, I have exactly the same thing happening...and the same concern. You'd think there was a way to turn it off...to save battery...and moving parts.

I've resorted to holding my hand in front of the open lens..but shouldn't have to.
Hope there is a solution ...somewhere.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
DC
DC
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?

Hi Carl,

I have experienced all three of your questions. The focus mode you are looking for is DMF. Don't know about turning off LCD and don't know about that odd loose bump or noise.

Derek

Carl bcn
Like?
In reply to DC, Aug 11, 2012

JonRobertP: I'm happy not be alone here, hehe! Thanks for letting me know.

Derek: True! I had forgotten I tried DMF and it seemed like it was doing what I wanted, but I didn't fully understand it (the online manual just says "Allows you to use manual focus and auto focus in combination") and I had completely forgotten since. Now the camera is charging but I will give it a try again. Thank you, really. I've used Canon gear all my life (both compact and reflex) and Sony terminology is a new, confusing world for me...

As for the occasional loose minibumps, have you experienced them or not? (Sorry if I didn't understand you) And, anyway, do you perceive a slight play on the lens barrel? Anyway, I have an S95 too (soon to be sold) and the barrel isn't 100% lock into place either, but the play is somehow "elastic", it really can't "bump" as the Sony seems to do (again, that might not be the reason, but so far I haven't been able to find the culprit for sure).

Again thanks everybody.

jonrobertp
Like?

Carl bcn wrote:

Derek: True! I had forgotten I tried DMF and it seemed like it was doing what I wanted, but I didn't fully understand it (the online manual just says "Allows you to use manual focus and auto focus in combination") and I had completely forgotten since. Now the camera is charging but I will give it a try again. Thank you, really. I've used Canon gear all my life (both compact and reflex) and Sony terminology is a new, confusing world for me...

As for the occasional loose minibumps, have you experienced them or not? (Sorry if I didn't understand you) And, anyway, do you perceive a slight play on the lens barrel? Anyway, I have an S95 too (soon to be sold) and the barrel isn't 100% lock into place either, but the play is somehow "elastic", it really can't "bump" as the Sony seems to do (again, that might not be the reason, but so far I haven't been able to find the culprit for sure).

Again thanks everybody.

Hey...this DMF..works !! just did it. And the color peaking level...well, that's a bit too much for me. Turning the front ring..brings the image up very close...can't really say I've noticed much if any change of focus w the manual turning, but that's not to say it doesn't work. But it also turns itself off in a few seconds...good or not..it just does.

But the focus confirmation ...close view..is neat ! The lose lens...haven't checked...but I would not be surprised if the slight clunkyness we felt had to do w the unit constantly AFsing...when it need not be. live and learn.
good wishes
Jon

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
zoranT
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Aug 11, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

Carl bcn wrote:

Again thanks everybody.

Hey...this DMF..works !! just did it. And the color peaking level...well, that's a bit too much for me. Turning the front ring..brings the image up very close...can't really say I've noticed much if any change of focus w the manual turning, but that's not to say it doesn't work. But it also turns itself off in a few seconds...good or not..it just does.

you can adjust the time how long the magnification stays in live view, when you turn the focus wheel; peaking can only help for certain motifs;

also, you could assign MF/AF to one of the buttons, keeping it on manual, and shortly before you use it switch to auto, thus avoiding permanent focussing

DC
DC
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?

Carl,

I have experienced all three of your questions but I don't have answers for your second and third question. Hopefully sony or someone can answer them.

Derek

cllcanada
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?

I use DMF exclusively with a center focus setting for macros. The AF is excellent, however shooting at wide apperatures the depth of focus is so narrow, that AF can focus on something you don't want...so AF does the heavy focus lifting, and then I fine tune it manually to the exact point ...using focus magnification...works very well, and better than peaking...

cllcanada's gear list:cllcanada's gear list
Sony RX100
jonrobertp
Like?

thx guys...where do we adjust the time it stays on manual ? thx

cllcanada
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Aug 11, 2012

MF Assist and Focus Magnification Time

Enlarges the image on the screen automatically to make manual focusing easier.
This works in [Manual Focus] or [DMF] modes.
MENU 3 [MF Assist] desired mode
Turn the Control Ring to adjust the focus.

The image is enlarged 8.6 times. You can also enlarge the image 17.1 times by pressing on the control wheel.

On

Enlarges the image. You can set the enlarging duration using [Focus Magnif. Time].

Off
Does not enlarge the image.

cllcanada's gear list:cllcanada's gear list
Sony RX100
jkuo
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to cllcanada, Aug 11, 2012

cllcanada wrote:

MF Assist and Focus Magnification Time

Enlarges the image on the screen automatically to make manual focusing easier.
This works in [Manual Focus] or [DMF] modes.

For some reason, my screen only gets enlarged automatically when turning the control ring in [Manual Focus], not [DMF] mode even though [MF Assist] is set to On. Are you sure MF Assist is also supposed to work in [DMF] mode? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, but it doesn't work on my copy.

Carl bcn
Like?
In reply to jkuo, Aug 12, 2012

Thanks for your replies. Seems DMF is doing the trick for me, although I loose the ability to use the front ring for aperture in Av, because the ring turns into focus control. Not that I care, but I only get the magnified view when in MF, not in DMF, as jkuo points out. Probably there could be a way to activate magnification here too, but since I don't want it, I haven't tried.

By the way, I have confirmed that the occasional shaky-bumpy feeling is indeed caused by the lens barrel when extended. If I put my finger on a side of it while holding the camera (as a way of providing "support" for the barrel) and then shake my hand up and down (not too fast), the bump is gone. Release the finger, shake again and there it is - slight, but noticeable.

As I said, it doesn't seem to be a real problem so far, but it still catches my attention everytime I suddenly move my hand and I feel it. For the price of this camera, one would expect better assembled pieces. I understand even some dslr mounts might have a slight play, but since we move the camera less often (and slower) than a compact, it's less noticeable, I guess.

I'll try to check with the store if all the copies are like mine, but I'll keep listening for other people experiences in this regard (the tighter or looser fit of the lens barrel in the body, when extended).

Craig Atkinson
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carl bcn, Aug 29, 2012

yes, DMF stops the focus issue, which is great. However, I would like the control ring to control A in A mode! Hmm

Craig Atkinson's gear list:Craig Atkinson's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,968Gear list
Like?
In reply to Craig Atkinson, Aug 29, 2012

great post, I will try DMF, I suspect early samples slightly out of focus, or as someone said, focused on wrong thing, could have been improved with DMF

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Carl bcn
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Aug 30, 2012

Yes, as Craig points out, I later realised than using DMF changes the front ring function to manual focus, so we lose this control...

For now, I have chosen to put up with this "all time pre focusing" annoyance (this way I can at least assign something useful to the front ring). There seems to be nothing else that can be done in this regard... I can't understand how such a good camera can be made, while taking (IMHO) so bad design decisions (I can see absolutely no benefit in having the camera focusing everything all the time, in fact it doesn't make it focus any faster. Maybe it is useful for auto modes or people who don't half press for focusing?).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads