I got scammed...

Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions
Jerry Pruce
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?
I got scammed...
Aug 11, 2012

Saw a deal on the Cameratown newsletter, $849 w/ free shipping for a D7000 at BestPricePhoto.com. In their add it said it came with all the factory stuff and had a USA warranty. I called to confirm. The sales rep. Micky said yes, everything in the ad was correct. He did try to sell me an extra battery but really didn't put the hard sell on me for that or anything else. I went ahead and bought the camera.

Got it in the mail today. No problem on the shipping. The factory box had been previously opened. When I checked to see if everything was there. Low and behold, the charger plug was European. No operating manual or warranty card. The box said EP not USA. I checked the camera out and it looked brand new.

It was too late to get a hold of them and they're not open on the weekend, so it will have to wait until Monday.

I didn't do my homework.....my bad.

For now I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they'll do the right thing. But from some the reviews of people who have done business with them, I'm probably going to have put up with some BS and go through some hoops to get my money back.

We'll see....

jerry

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
p0tempkin
Contributing MemberPosts: 648
Like?
Re: I got scammed...
In reply to Jerry Pruce, Aug 11, 2012

All you need is a new charger cord with the correct plug. You can either order a new charger/cord off eBay for $10, or you can return your camera and buy the USA version at Amazon.com for $250 more.

I would go the $10 route: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MH-25-MH25-Charger-for-Nikon-EN-EL15-Battery-SLR-D7000-Q108-/251124868982?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3a78356776#ht_3417wt_1397

Here is the manual: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D7000_EN.pdf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aeschylus
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
In reply to p0tempkin, Aug 11, 2012

Yes, the plug and manual aren't major problems, but what about the warranty?

aeschylus's gear list:aeschylus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
HansN46
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to aeschylus, Aug 11, 2012

Everytime I hear people about the warranty I wonder how many people really had to use it?

Since 2007 I successively bought eight digital cameras (for me and my wife) and I never needed the warranty. And I can't remeber that I needed it in the analog era where in I also bought a lot of cameras.
So what's the warranty for or am I a lucky bird?

H.
--
Happy photographing!

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
Shakens
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

doesnt the shop offer a warranty seeing as you dont have a nikon one?.

shops here in the uk that bring in grey imports offer there own warranty in place of the nikon/canon etc
--
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Nikon D5100...Canon SX230HS...Panasonic FZ48/TZ6
Hi from England

Shakens's gear list:Shakens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
bgD300
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shakens, Aug 11, 2012

The warranty billed as US is most likely a 3rd party offering. That makes the claim legal.
--
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.wordpress.com
My camera club porfolio: http://www.pacameraclub.com/bgrant.htm
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611
EXIF is embedded in photos WSSA #51 as bg5700

bgD300's gear list:bgD300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

I would return the camera if possible. Since Nikon USA announced last year that they will no longer sell parts to independent repair shops and Nikon has never worked on non USA equipment if the camera breaks you could end up with an expensive door stop which you can not get repaired.

p0tempkin
Contributing MemberPosts: 648
Like?
In reply to HansN46, Aug 11, 2012

Same here. I've owned several Nikon DSLRS and I've never had one break on me. Most of them I purchased used or refurbished, so they didn't have much of a warranty anyway.

If the piece of mind of having a warranty for 1 year is really worth $250, by all means, return your D7000 and buy one elsewhere.

Or save your $250 for something that will help you take better pictures, like a lens or flash.

BTW, SquareTrade will warranty your D7000 for 3 years for $110. I rarely keep a camera for more than 2 years, but for some of you that may be a better option than Nikon's factory 1-year warranty.

spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881
Like?

You got scammed in two ways, the camera is overpriced for one without either a factory warranty or access to parts, plus it has lower resale value if you every want to sell it.

Additionally the user reviews are usually scams themselves nowadays. Any web site with unmoderated user reviews is being gamed by companies boosting their own ratings with glowing reviews, or trashing a competitor. In the last couple years it has gotten very bad and taints every web review and content by "users". The positive reviews of the outfit almost all are from "people" with a single post and a member for only minutes. Yet the negative comments are often by people who have a posting history on a variety of subjects.

It is best to buy from outfits that you either visit or have direct knowledge of successful transactions by personal friends. Those fake reviews are worth a great deal of money to these outfits so there is a strong incentive to cheat.

NEVER NEVER buy from an outfit that will not publish its street address, you have no legal recourse to fix a problem.

Why would any legitimate company hide their address? Almost all these scam outfits work in the same area of Brooklyn or NJ and involve the same people, dozens of names for the same business and those get changed frequently. The NY State AG does not do anything about the scams so you have to be totally confident in your buy or not complain if you get taken because you will not get your money back or hurt their business by more reviews.
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jimbo68
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269
Like?

How many shutter actuations are on the camera? The box was opened....

Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,790Gear list
Like?

Yes, this is one of those shady dealers with the price that's too good to be true.

IMO you actually have the best possible outcome from dealing with them. You seem to at least have a product of some sort, hopefully it works well.

I have the feeling that you haven't seen the worst yet if you try to return your product. Then you won't have the product and will be struggling to get your money back for months on end, if ever.

If I were you I would chalk this one up as a lesson and deal with the charger and open box.

I have my doubts it's USA though.

Jerry Pruce wrote:

Saw a deal on the Cameratown newsletter, $849 w/ free shipping for a D7000 at BestPricePhoto.com.

For now I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they'll do the right thing. But from some the reviews of people who have done business with them, I'm probably going to have put up with some BS and go through some hoops to get my money back.

-- hide signature --

http://www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA

Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX1000 Nikon Df +12 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,861Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Yadmark, Aug 11, 2012

If the box was opened you don't know if it's a new camera or if it was returned with a problem. It's not like you can trust this dealer. I'd return it. If the price is so important look for a refurbished or lightly used one from a reliable dealer. If they give you a hard time with the return contact your credit card company.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C
Jerry Pruce
Like?
In reply to jimbo68, Aug 11, 2012

There's no way to find out the amount of actuations. Like I said the charger came with a European plug and I don't have a converter.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,706Gear list
Like?
In reply to roustabout66, Aug 11, 2012

Ditto.

roustabout66 wrote:

I would return the camera if possible. Since Nikon USA announced last year that they will no longer sell parts to independent repair shops and Nikon has never worked on non USA equipment if the camera breaks you could end up with an expensive door stop which you can not get repaired.

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,706Gear list
Like?
Yep!

You may need to contest payment. If so, document everything. Most credit cards will cancel payment if properly documented. (Dates, times, names, etc)
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,364
Like?
not true

Very easy to tell how many shutter actuation. Take a picture and simply examine the EXIF. You could also upload a OOC jpeg here and I can tell you if you have the "allow download of original" option checked in your DPR settings. Good Luck

axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
Re: Yep!
In reply to Steve Bingham, Aug 11, 2012

Just curious. no one has mentioned the serial number. As I understand it, all Nikon cameras shipped for sale in the USA start the serial number with a "3". My D7000 is # 3070xxx. Just my 2 cents....Brent http://axcentphoto.com

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Jerry Pruce
Like?
Re: not true
In reply to Mako2011, Aug 11, 2012

How can I turn the camera on without a charged battery? Let me say it one more time....it's a European plug on the cord to the charger and I don't have a convertor.....

Jerry Pruce
Like?
Re: Yep!
In reply to axcentphoto, Aug 11, 2012

The serial No.on the bottom of the camera starts with a 6.....

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,364
Like?
My bad

Jerry Pruce wrote:

How can I turn the camera on without a charged battery? Let me say it one more time....it's a European plug on the cord to the charger and I don't have a convertor.....

OOPS....my bad. I don't read as well as I used too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads