Hey man do not buy Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera

Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions
Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
Hey man do not buy Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera
Aug 11, 2012

This is what Canon says in an interview: EOS-M is targeted for women and also says that m43 is no competition since the sensor is too small.... What the.....!!
please read here http://www.canonwatch.com/

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
hinting
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey man do not buy Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera
In reply to Willing, Aug 11, 2012

It is not helpful to discuss canon at a m43 forum. try the thread at a canon forum.

Eos-m is painfully slow to focus, and chunky size like a G12. I have tried it. Give them 2 years and canon may have a worthy model.
--
:hinting
http://www.redbubble.com/people/hinting/art
https://plus.google.com/115255826572441766446/posts

hinting's gear list:hinting's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M-Monochrom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +49 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 900Gear list
Like?

You've accidentally clicked into the micro four thirds forum instead of the Canon forum. We get a lot of misplaced visitors, it's okay.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Though it's pretty funny

Willing wrote:

This is what Canon says in an interview: EOS-M is targeted for women and also says that m43 is no competition since the sensor is too small.... What the.....!!

Real men don't buy no wimpy Canon EOS-M.....

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
c_henry
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

Interesting, thanks for this.

AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?

There are some conflicting messages coming out of Canon about the EOS-M. Their UK marketing guy, at the launch event, told Amateur Photography Magazine that there were "no plans" for more native lenses, and then went and told TechRadar he was "not informed" if there are any more lenses on the way!

So if you know there are "no plans" someone has informed you that there are no plans, correct?

Marketing people = habitual liars

The name of the camera also suggests to me that Canons management board are not fully behind the idea of Mirrorless, they are only doing it to respond to m43. It's not called the EOS-M 100D or something like that which would suggest the first of a line of cameras. Its just the EOS-M.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

Willing wrote:

m43 is no competition since the sensor is too small

So said every other competitor before them. Run their mouths and fall on their faces.

Get inline Canon.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Jeanadriane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577Gear list
Like?

It's not the interview but a 12 point summary. And it's not in the original language but "machine translated". So anyone drawing major conclusions from this summary might be making some serious mistakes.

There is some (tho not much) reason to discuss it here, since 2 of those 12 points refer to µ4/3, or even 3 points, considering the statement about Canon's plans to obtain at least 15% market share by October.

But an overheated "Hey man don't buy..." approach? No man, I need that cam, I'm a woman...

Really, I fail to understand the panic that seems to overwhelm some folks here when a new mirrorless system is presented. To me all those systems just are damn interesting. They strengthen the mirrorless sector in the market and lead to more innovation. Maybe one day one of them is even better than µ4/3 and I'll happily jump ship. I'm not married to the Panny CEO, you know. Neither am I a Panny shareholder. I'm an independent photographer looking for gear. For now I'm happy with my GF1's and my GX1, but when a handsome young guy shows up on the horizon, promising me FF-paradise and joys everlasting, well...
--
http://jeanettebos.zenfolio.com

Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +4 more
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Panasonic Lumix targets women too -nt

no text

alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,546Gear list
Like?
There's a lesson there.

You don't tell half your potential customers "this camera isn't for you." This isn't Chick Fil A stupid, but stupid in its own way. This might play differently in the Asian market.

Remember when the new Beetle was called a "chick" car? They had to redesign the car to make it more "masculine" and show men driving them in their ads.

To me it wouldn't matter if it is designed for women, if it suits my needs I'd consider it. It doesn't.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_tomato/

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, Sir n/t
-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,222Gear list
Like?
Lots of things are marketed to women.

Lots of completely gender-neutral things are marketed to women. Like yogurt, for example. With how yogurt is marketed, one would think that the only thing a woman values is regular bowel movements.

At least in Japan, Panasonic has been targeting women with their Micro Four Thirds cameras since the G1.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera -fundamental design strategy

The reason to not buy the Eos has nothing to do whether it is marketed to men, women, Martians or Eskimos. It is based on its fundamental failures. No optical or electronic viewfinder? Are they serious? Not even a coupling for an optional viewfinder? So unless you are a tripod shooter, you are stuck holding up at arms length, the smelly diaper posture. Total dud.
--
The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to kodachromeguy, Aug 11, 2012

kodachromeguy wrote:

The reason to not buy the Eos has nothing to do whether it is marketed to men, women, Martians or Eskimos. It is based on its fundamental failures. No optical or electronic viewfinder? Are they serious? Not even a coupling for an optional viewfinder? So unless you are a tripod shooter, you are stuck holding up at arms length, the smelly diaper posture. Total dud.
--
The Kodachromeguy

you mean just like Olympus's first mirrorless camera
--
now with extra added dancing girls

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,654Gear list
Like?
In reply to illy, Aug 11, 2012

illy wrote:

kodachromeguy wrote:

--
The Kodachromeguy

Now ,you know that doesn't count because Olympus made it
Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, Aug 11, 2012

jim stirling wrote:

illy wrote:

kodachromeguy wrote:

--
The Kodachromeguy

Now ,you know that doesn't count because Olympus made it
Jim

no doubt it will be moderated due to not being happy clappy and silver lined.......i'm so cynical
--
now with extra added dancing girls

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
In reply to illy, Aug 11, 2012

You guys are right, the E-P1 was also a dud design because it did not have any coupling for a eye-level viewfinder. Flawed decisions can cross all brands. At least the E-PL1, which was aimed at novice users, had an excellent viewfinder that a user could purchase. The EOS-M will be fine on a tripod. The target audience is the type that uses tripods for carefully-crafted images? I am trying to figure out the logic trail here.
--
The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: There's a lesson there.
In reply to alfredo_tomato, Aug 11, 2012

alfredo_tomato wrote:

You don't tell half your potential customers "this camera isn't for you." This isn't Chick Fil A stupid, but stupid in its own way. This might play differently in the Asian market.

Remember when the new Beetle was called a "chick" car? They had to redesign the car to make it more "masculine" and show men driving them in their ads.

To me it wouldn't matter if it is designed for women, if it suits my needs I'd consider it. It doesn't.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_tomato/

This is the stupidest example of cutting off half your potential market that I can recall:

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,449Gear list
Like?
Well nothing wrong about that ...

Its a 650D in mirrorless form factor, and if a 650D works, then the EOS-M works too. Its just a question whether that suite you or not. Isn't that the sams as saying not to buy the panasonic GF3/GF5, or the Olympus E-PL and E-PM range ( all of them are marketed, targeted the famale market sector ).

Hey the camera might be designed to target the ladies, but that does not mean if a man use it then it won't work right ... LOL with this > .

Anyway, while the G1 establish the mirrorless form factor ( as an EVIL ) and the GF1 establish the LCD only variant. almost each and every mirrorless after them had pretty mcuh the same design basically. Only the NEX-7 and X-PRO 1 really break the mold. I wonder when will Panasonic deliver something along the line of their old but oh so beautiful L1 in a compact mirrorless form factor.

-- hide signature --

• Franka -

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,957Gear list
Like?
Samsung said the same....But what to expect?

"m4/3 is the perfect cam for you"???

We all know that the EOS-M is not compelling at all in its current state. That is all. For enthusiasts, the only brands getting out a usefull system are Oly/Panny, Samsung, Fuji and to a lesser extend (lenses!) Sony.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads