Nikon claim "Class Leading AF"... Which class exactly?

Started Aug 10, 2012 | Discussions
Liberty555
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Nikon claim "Class Leading AF"... Which class exactly?
Aug 10, 2012

I was reading National Geographic last night when I saw a full page Nikon add for the D800.

At the bottom of the page was the usual "36MP, full frame etc... then it said Class Leading 51 Point AF system"

I wonder - exactly which class is it leading?

Any ideas?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291
Like?
Re: Nikon claim "Class Leading AF"... Which class exactly?
In reply to Liberty555, Aug 10, 2012

Probably the middle and right side class. Many would say they forgot the left side class.

I haven't had any particular problem with my D800 but I would hardly put it or the green tinged LCD/JPEG producing D4 in the same AF class as the 5D Mark III or the 1DX. Having been a big fan of Nikon all my life I must give Canon full props---with this class of releases they have smoked Nikon. I expected nothing out of the 1DX after having two horrible 1D Mark III cameras and one 1D Mark IV but the 1DX more than makes up for the terrible cameras that preceded it with focusing and low light problems..Absolutely the only area where the D4 outshines the 1DX is weight being 9 ounces less---all other areas for me it falls short.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,556Gear list
Like?
this issues are mostly to do with left AFfor static subjects

example of dynamic AF
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42086459

my experience is same as Dileep for moving subjects - D800/E is fast, firm and AF grips on like a magnet.

Liberty555 wrote:

I was reading National Geographic last night when I saw a full page Nikon add for the D800.

At the bottom of the page was the usual "36MP, full frame etc... then it said Class Leading 51 Point AF system"

I wonder - exactly which class is it leading?

Any ideas?

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Vivid1
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
The 36 Mp class :-)

All other classes have better AF

Rocker44
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

slow clap

nijkerk
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
In reply to Rocker44, Aug 10, 2012

The Canon insecurity complex strikes again..

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,967
Like?
In reply to nijkerk, Aug 10, 2012

nijkerk wrote:

LOL! Do you ever go to the Nikon forums? Or do you spend the whole time here defending Nikon cameras - heaven forbid someone might say something unflattering about them!

nijkerk
Like?
In reply to schmegg, Aug 10, 2012

Yes I do sometimes go to the Nikon forum..but not often...I dont have any issues with my Nikon camera(s) and ,of course,I know everything...but its much more entertaining here.. Soo many posters ,as this one, seemingly desperate to win points for their camera brand Quite sad really but I majored in psychology and I recognize a complex when I see one ,..I dont see countless posts on the Nikon forum slagging off Canon cameras...why is that do you think? Because they are perfect I suppose...I dont have D800 but have used one..and I would like to get one but the D 700 & 7000 will have to do for a while...although ,of course, taking advice from here I shouldnt bother because you cant hold it for longer than 20 minutes without getting cramp, it cant focus, the screen is a ghastly shade of green,its only good for landscapes/ studio, gives too much detail for portraits, you have to use the best lenses ( and who wouldnt?) and you have to be good with your technique e.g hold the camera steady...just hilarious...Ill try to keep away but I enjoy a good laugh....

VivaLasVegas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?
In reply to John, Aug 10, 2012

John wrote:

Probably the middle and right side class. Many would say they forgot the left side class.

I haven't had any particular problem with my D800 but I would hardly put it or the green tinged LCD/JPEG producing D4 in the same AF class as the 5D Mark III or the 1DX. Having been a big fan of Nikon all my life I must give Canon full props---with this class of releases they have smoked Nikon. I expected nothing out of the 1DX after having two horrible 1D Mark III cameras and one 1D Mark IV but the 1DX more than makes up for the terrible cameras that preceded it with focusing and low light problems..Absolutely the only area where the D4 outshines the 1DX is weight being 9 ounces less---all other areas for me it falls short.

You forgot the Nikon innovation of the year, the ILLUMINATED BUTTONS.........so wow!

nijkerk
Like?
In reply to VivaLasVegas, Aug 10, 2012

See? Heres another saddo...Ipso Facto, I rest my case...

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?

nijkerk wrote:

LOL!

Well, it's hard to deny that Nikon are sending duff product out to customers at the moment. How much we don't know - but it certainly is significantly more than Canon. Why? We can only guess. But, as a Canon shooter, I can see the fun in occasionally having a stab at Nikon shooters who hang around in this forum attempting to "right wrongs".

If you find that "sad" - I'd suggest that it is no more "sad" than the act of hanging around in forums posting desperate and numerous rebuttals in an attempt to somehow defend the reputation of a brand unrelated to the forum.

bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864
Like?
IN MF class

Since D800 rivals MFD class, Nikon has the class leading AF among that crowd. In the FM market it is comparable with the best AF DSLRs out there.

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?
Re: IN MF class
In reply to bgbs, Aug 10, 2012

bgbs wrote:

Since D800 rivals MFD class,

Except - in reality - it doesn't.

I guess it does in the same way as a 24MP APS-C camera "rivals" the D800 though.

Nikon has the class leading AF among that crowd. In the FM market it is comparable with the best AF DSLRs out there.

Well - the best Nikon ones anyway. How it compares to others is yet to be fully determined - though it certainly appears to be slower. And there is no evidence that it's more accurate either. It does, however, seemingly lock in lower light than the Canons. It's also a crapshoot as to whether it'll work correctly out-of-the-box or whether you'll need to return it and have it adjusted.

Frankly - going on that - I'd say it isn't "comparable with the best AF DSLRs out there" personally.

Birdman7
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: The 36 Mp class, how many members? 1?
In reply to Vivid1, Aug 10, 2012

Vivid1 wrote:

Not much of a class when its composed of only 1 very unreliable model liable to either; explode, have green lcd cast, left AF issues, video lockups or a combination of all.

Not to mention having to use a tripod, cable release, a good shutter speed and then sweat, hope and pray to get reliably sharp image, but then theres the moire issue to overcome too.

Thx god for the dynamic range, only positive thing going for it

Birdman7's gear list:Birdman7's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
nijkerk
Like?

"desperate and numerous" well I think that pot, kettle and black spring to mind..Ive posted maybe half a a dozen posts " defending" the D800 ...well, not actually defending just correcting gross misinformation,...and you? No, Im sure that you woud rather not go there .. "a good sensor in a pile of poop" or something similar I seem to recall that you posted...Whoops ! end of credibility for Mr. Mrs Schmegg...off to Corsica tomorrow for 3 weeks holiday so Ill leave you saddos with your weird complexes..

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?

nijkerk wrote:

"desperate and numerous" well I think that pot, kettle and black spring to mind..Ive posted maybe half a a dozen posts " defending" the D800 ...well, not actually defending just correcting gross misinformation

The comment was directed at this type of behaviour in general - not necessarily you .

,...and you? No, Im sure that you woud rather not go there .. "a good sensor in a pile of poop" or something similar I seem to recall that you posted...

You'll also notice I explained that in the thread.

You also don't seem to recall the many times I've said I think the D800 is a great camera.

Probably because you're not looking out for posts like that I guess - too busy looking for people saying things you don't like!

And you call other people "sad"! Hmm.

off to Corsica tomorrow for 3 weeks holiday so Ill leave you saddos with your weird complexes..

Have fun. That sounds like it will be great!

Oh - and when you get back - I'll be waiting for you to return here to defend the honour of the Nikon brand! Hilarious!

papparazzi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,927Gear list
Like?
In reply to Birdman7, Aug 10, 2012

Birdman7 wrote:

Vivid1 wrote:

Not much of a class when its composed of only 1 very unreliable model liable to either; explode, have green lcd cast, left AF issues, video lockups or a combination of all.

Not to mention having to use a tripod, cable release, a good shutter speed and then sweat, hope and pray to get reliably sharp image, but then theres the moire issue to overcome too.

Thx god for the dynamic range, only positive thing going for it

wow..D800 is F* D up....
--
http://www.flickr.com/jdfeos

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Nikon D600
nijkerk
Like?

Well actually I couldnt give a monkeys toss about the Nikon brand...I dont think that you will find a post of mine slagging off a Canon camera..why i even had a 40D for a while ...until it died during a thunderstorm.......You wont see me here defending Nikon ...maybe just correcting nonsense...

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?

nijkerk wrote:

Well actually I couldnt give a monkeys toss about the Nikon brand...I dont think that you will find a post of mine slagging off a Canon camera..why i even had a 40D for a while ...until it died during a thunderstorm.......You wont see me here defending Nikon ...maybe just correcting nonsense...

Well - you weren't "correcting nonesense" in this thread. You just came here to slag off with this throw-away line ...

nijkerk wrote:

... and then followed-up with this ...

nijkerk wrote:

Doesn't seem like you are attempting to correct any misinformation at all. Seems more like you are just slinging insults at people to me.

You dug you hole already nijkerk.

nijkerk
Like?
In reply to Birdman7, Aug 10, 2012

Complete innaccurate nonsense...But ,whatever floats you boat....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads