Looking for Epson Artisan 835 replacement

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
John-G
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,931
Like?
Looking for Epson Artisan 835 replacement
Aug 9, 2012

I am looking for recommendations for replacing my Epson Artisan 835. I have been an Epson user for 10 years but I'm pretty much done with Epson at this point.

I love the photo print quality and the scanner functionality but I'm on my second 835 already after having a 830. All have had nothing but paper feed problems. Which is not surprising given the attrocious 180-degree feed path of the paper tray. Whenever I need to print a photo I can count on a lot of time wasted trying to get paper to feed. Usually I'll get one sheet to feed and then have to fiddle with the paper tray. The feed roll just refuses to grab the next sheet of paper.

I do mostly document and photo scanning with occasional photo printing. While my 835 has an ADF I could probably live without it.

I have always been happy with Epson but I just can't take the paper feed problems anymore.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for Epson Artisan 835 replacement
In reply to John-G, Aug 9, 2012

I have an 835 and it is used every day for printing, scanning, faxing and printing on CDs. Have zero problems with paper feed though agree the paper path is a bit difficult. Possibly your problem is due to the type of paper you are using.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John-G
Like?
In reply to digital ed, Aug 9, 2012

I've always used Epson Glossy Photo Paper - 52 lb.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to John-G, Aug 9, 2012

Don't think I have ever used glossy paper in my 835. Always use 20lb standard paper. For photos I use my 3880 or 2200.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
jfh1945
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?
In reply to John-G, Aug 10, 2012

I had an Epson 800 for two years that had the head die--during that time, I used it as the proverbial small office machine with all the functions as well as a photo printer (using Inkjetcarts Claria-type ink).

Previously I had run R340s as small photo printers--i.e., with the traditional top-feed path, not the U-shaped one of the Artisan series.

I discovered that lighter-weight papers were a must to feed reliably--personally, I use Red River papers and Costco's premium glossy, and for weights the best papers have been the RR premium mattes in 32 and 37 pound. Carefully used, the 52 lb will work, too--but the printer becomes finicky with that. Heavier papers just were luck.

I replaced the 800 with a 725--an even more basic machine, with a lighter-duty paper transport as well--and now, after a year of use with printing 100s of 5x7 to 8.5x11 photos, it is getting noisier and, IMO, showing signs of wear. The printing is still good--just the mechanics are worn. This one has had no Epson ink it--all pigment inks from Inkjetfly, with no problems I might add, and with good-to-excellent rendition with RR or Inkjetfly ICCs.

So, I would encourage you to try lighter-weight papers in these multifunction Artisans. For more printwork, I recently bought a 1430 which, of course, has the traditional top feed.

Jim H.

-- hide signature --

cameras are almost as much fun as firearms:

A S&W M&P 340 equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight and loaded with Federal 110-gr .38 SPL PD ammunition weighs 15.8 oz.

jfh1945's gear list:jfh1945's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D80 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +6 more
John-G
Like?
In reply to jfh1945, Aug 13, 2012

I appreciate the input. I really prefer the heavier paper for photos. The Artisan is supposed to take up to 60+ lb paper and the Epson glossy is only 52 lb.

After 10+ years with Epson I've decided to dump the Artisan and go with a Canon Pixma MG6220. I've used Canon photo gear for 35 years but I've never owned one of their printers. Let's hope the frustration level is less than that of the Epson. At least the Pixma has a straight through paper path like that of the older Epon R300.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads