Nikon "refreshes" 1 System...YEA RIGHT!

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Nikon "refreshes" 1 System...YEA RIGHT!
Aug 9, 2012

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/09/Nikon-1-J2-mirrorless-camera-refreshes-1-Systems-consumer-model#specs

If you guys didn't get a chance to read this, you're in for a laugh. Nikon just announced the J1.1 (called it the J2 for some reason...)

Looks like m4/3 has nothing to worry about from the Nikon camp.

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 J2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,206Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon "refreshes" 1 System...YEA RIGHT!
In reply to M Hamilton, Aug 9, 2012

I can see why you'd say that, but higher res LCD and $100 less than J1 are both steps in the right direction if Nikon wants to sell more of these. So, although it's pretty clear that changes this fast will probably annoy J1 buyers, these changes could indicate that Nikon really wants to get into this market. So I'm not sure I'd feel so sanguine.
--
js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,901Gear list
Like?

M Hamilton wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/09/Nikon-1-J2-mirrorless-camera-refreshes-1-Systems-consumer-model#specs

If you guys didn't get a chance to read this, you're in for a laugh. Nikon just announced the J1.1 (called it the J2 for some reason...)

Was there a memo I missed that speaks of this concern? Who particularly is worried?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
REShultz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Aug 9, 2012

I don't get these threads dogging other systems and I don't get the insecurity on the M43 forum about other systems.

It is of interest though to see how these mirrorless systems are introduced and next to nothing is done to follow up. The Pentax Q and Nikon 1 users have been waiting patiently for lenses that will probably never arrive. And that does make M43 a unique system-- one that is actually developing. But that should create excitement amongst users and not the tendency to dog other systems.

Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?

M Hamilton wrote:

I would like to congratulate you on at least making this thread somehow relevant to the forum. Seriously. Most people seem to think the m4/3 forum is a dumping ground for any and all mirrorless talk -- AND all large sensor compact talk. Bought an RX100? Whine about it here. Ugh.

That said, I thought we got way too many kit zoom lenses, but looking at the new Nikon option? LOL. As Thom says on SansMirror:

I have a message for Nikon: you screwed up with DX lenses, now you're screwing up CX lenses even worse. Announcing this lens will actually push a lot more folk to m4/3 than not announcing any lens would have. At least if you hadn't announced a lens we could still pretend to dream that you'll some day announce the lenses Nikon 1 users really want.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
Anfy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,380
Like?
+1 (n/t)
In reply to REShultz, Aug 9, 2012

REShultz wrote:

I don't get these threads dogging other systems and I don't get the insecurity on the M43 forum about other systems.

It is of interest though to see how these mirrorless systems are introduced and next to nothing is done to follow up. The Pentax Q and Nikon 1 users have been waiting patiently for lenses that will probably never arrive. And that does make M43 a unique system-- one that is actually developing. But that should create excitement amongst users and not the tendency to dog other systems.

-- hide signature --

Viva la evoluciĆ³n!

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,155Gear list
Like?

It is rather a J1.0.1 (a bug fix release).

It seems that both DSLR market leaders don't get it. Canon's mirrorless approach is only slightly better but no competition to m4/3.

M Hamilton wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Promit
Like?

I was hoping the Nikon and Canon entries into the market would create pressure at a technical level for m4/3 to be better than it is. That dream is not being borne out yet...

Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,069Gear list
Like?

REShultz wrote:

One post doesn't make a "forum". Plenty of people on here use multiple systems and are quite happy or not bothered about other systems.

I think it does but other competing systems encourage development and that can't be bad. Some of the angst from some posters is more a reaction to being dogged by trolls from other systems, mainly using the "small sensor" jibe as bait. You don't see many Nikon 1 people doing this for obvious reasons. As it stands I think m4/3's is a bit of a sweet spot but I'm guessing that makes me a "fanboy" :).
--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Aug 9, 2012

Bob Tullis wrote:

Was there a memo I missed that speaks of this concern?

Nope.

Who particularly is worried?

Marketing folks. People who let market share guide their camera purchases are certain to be lousy photographers.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?

M Hamilton wrote:

I agree, and neither from the other camps, Micro 4/3 is still the best choice and it will be for mirrorless cameras.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to Promit, Aug 9, 2012

Promit wrote:

I was hoping the Nikon and Canon entries into the market would create pressure at a technical level for m4/3 to be better than it is. That dream is not being borne out yet...

Neither it will be born, Micro 4/3 is on the right path.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
PenFan2011
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

Yes, very amusing. I consider the J2 as an insult to Nikon users that wanted a decent mirrorless camera. (I am a E-PL1 and D-60 owner, in the interest of full disclosure)

It lacks several features found in the less expensive E-PM1, and they are asking for more money. If I only used Nikon I would still pass on this. To Nikon, either jump in the pool or stop dipping your toes in the mirrorless market!

The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
In reply to PenFan2011, Aug 9, 2012

I was pretty annoyed towards these cameras also, but Nikon must be doing something right, they are selling lots of them. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the J1 is the top selling mirrorless camera?

PenFan2011 wrote:

Yes, very amusing. I consider the J2 as an insult to Nikon users that wanted a decent mirrorless camera. (I am a E-PL1 and D-60 owner, in the interest of full disclosure)

It lacks several features found in the less expensive E-PM1, and they are asking for more money. If I only used Nikon I would still pass on this. To Nikon, either jump in the pool or stop dipping your toes in the mirrorless market!

Promit
Like?
In reply to The Skipper, Aug 9, 2012

The Skipper wrote:

I was pretty annoyed towards these cameras also, but Nikon must be doing something right, they are selling lots of them. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the J1 is the top selling mirrorless camera?

Consider the normal consumer who doesn't haunt B&H/Adorama/etc but goes to a store and asks the salesperson what to buy. Yes, that's most people. That's why salespeople have a job.

Think about how the conversation goes.

"Well we've got this Olympus E-PL1 in stock but it's an old model which is slow."
"Do you have the new models?"

"Afraid we don't carry them. But this here is the brand new Nikon camera, it's very similar but fast. Nikon makes the best stuff you know."
"That sounds and looks pretty good. I'll take one."

I've never seen anything higher end than a GF3 or E-P2 in a camera store around here (Baltimore MD). G2/3? GH2? The E-PM1? Hah.

mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,638Gear list
Like?

M4/3s has everything to worry about. Since Nikon couldn't beat m4/3s at the mirror-less game they used their immense marketing power to promote a less than stellar mirror-less product. That makes all mirror-less solutions look bad. Especially when those other Manufactures(Panasonic and Olympus) don't promote their more than stellar solutions enough.

Now everyone sees the J(whatever) and says oh those mirror-less cameras are a joke.

The end result is that Nikon proved out some cool auto focus technology, ill-informed consumers have lost confidence in mirror-less, and Nikon is poised to a make a killing off of a D8000 that has hybrid AF and an electronic shutter(Not Global Electronic though).

They never intended this product to succeed. They just wanted to test some new technologies without affecting their DSLR's reputation. It was quite a clever tactic and appears to be working.

M Hamilton wrote:

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?
Re: +1

Promit:

You nailed it better than you might even have thought...
--
Aim & Frame

mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,638Gear list
Like?

I just want to quote this because it is 100% dead on.

Promit wrote:

Consider the normal consumer who doesn't haunt B&H/Adorama/etc but goes to a store and asks the salesperson what to buy. Yes, that's most people. That's why salespeople have a job.

Think about how the conversation goes.

"Well we've got this Olympus E-PL1 in stock but it's an old model which is slow."
"Do you have the new models?"

"Afraid we don't carry them. But this here is the brand new Nikon camera, it's very similar but fast. Nikon makes the best stuff you know."
"That sounds and looks pretty good. I'll take one."

I've never seen anything higher end than a GF3 or E-P2 in a camera store around here (Baltimore MD). G2/3? GH2? The E-PM1? Hah.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Aug 9, 2012

M4/3s has everything to worry about. Since Nikon couldn't beat m4/3s at the mirror-less game they used their immense marketing power to promote a less than stellar mirror-less product. That makes all mirror-less solutions look bad. Especially when those other Manufactures(Panasonic and Olympus) don't promote their more than stellar solutions enough.

Now everyone sees the J(whatever) and says oh those mirror-less cameras are a joke.

The end result is that Nikon proved out some cool auto focus technology, ill-informed consumers have lost confidence in mirror-less, and Nikon is poised to a make a killing off of a D8000 that has hybrid AF and an electronic shutter(Not Global Electronic though).

They never intended this product to succeed. They just wanted to test some new technologies without affecting their DSLR's reputation. It was quite a clever tactic and appears to be working.

Then, if this is a solid view and how things are or may be going to turn out, the obvious answer from Oly/Pana would be to put out more and better performing models at the entry level (price wise) with DSLR-looking exteriors. Less of Pen/GF-designs and more of G/GH & OM-D lookers!

But, the whole point of it: much smaller and also "cuter" than any Nikon/Canon/other DSLR will ever get...

Oly fex should soon as possible put out BOTH a hi-end OM-D (irrespective if a E-7 may be also in its pipeline) and a OM-D of lesser spec/lower price BUT with the cheaper one still posessing the fine sensor tech and solid AF of the EM-5...just build it a bit less ambitious and make sure producing them quicker so they IRL could sell lots...

Aim & Frame

REShultz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 10, 2012

Hmmm, but it's more than just one thread. A few weeks ago it was the Canon.

In any case, M43 is a sweet spot. And it's being invested in, and a large percentage of success is just showing up. I give M43 credit for showing up and pushing the bar with innovations. It's more than other mirrorless systems can say right now and I feel slightly bad for folks who invested on good faith.

papillon_65 wrote:

REShultz wrote:

One post doesn't make a "forum". Plenty of people on here use multiple systems and are quite happy or not bothered about other systems.

I think it does but other competing systems encourage development and that can't be bad. Some of the angst from some posters is more a reaction to being dogged by trolls from other systems, mainly using the "small sensor" jibe as bait. You don't see many Nikon 1 people doing this for obvious reasons. As it stands I think m4/3's is a bit of a sweet spot but I'm guessing that makes me a "fanboy" :).
--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads