Denali NP G1X

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
Brianug
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
Denali NP G1X
Aug 9, 2012

Spent a few days in Denali NP. Left the 7D at home and just took my G1X and my OM-D. Basically pleased with how the G1X handled. Just shot handheld with both cameras using the OM-D for wide and ultra wide, and using the G1X for everything else.

Any issues that I had with the G1X dealt with the viewfinder, which I always used. It's all been reported here before, but it certainly was a hindrance for framing. Nothing you can do about it except hope Canon addresses it in the future. The plus side is that the camera is really sharp, and the raw files can really take a lot of cropping. I mean A LOT of cropping. This image here was cropped quite a bit, and I was pleased with how it held up, as well as my other images from it. Was very pleased with the image quality on the entire trip.

Converted this image to B&W. Was pleased to get a Grizzly and two cubs in this shot which helped anchor it and give it scale. A fun and amazing place.

Thanks for looking
Brian
[IMG]

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pineledger
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
Re: Denali NP G1X
In reply to Brianug, Aug 9, 2012

Wow!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fred Hilger
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to pineledger, Aug 9, 2012

Amazing shot. I only wish I could enlarge the photo to get more detail and could enjoy the majestic view. Would you mind to post the color version also?

Thanks for sharing

Fred

Fred Hilger's gear list:Fred Hilger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Otto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brianug, Aug 9, 2012

Brian,

Fantastic shot. I, too, would like to see a larger version.

If I may ask, how did the OM-D shots compare to the G1X with regard to sharpness, and overall image quality?

Thanks,
Otto...

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S400 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Arcsoft Panorama Maker +13 more
Brianug
Like?
In reply to Otto, Aug 10, 2012

Otto wrote:

Brian,

Fantastic shot. I, too, would like to see a larger version.

If I may ask, how did the OM-D shots compare to the G1X with regard to sharpness, and overall image quality?

Thanks,
Otto...

Thanks you guys,

The OM-D is an excellent camera. I'm a Canon guy ever since the 20D got released. But Oly did their homework on the OM-D. The hype is well deserved. But again I'm using it for wide angle images with the pany 7-14 and Oly 12 f2. But again I really like my G1X also. The final output is apples and oranges. But the Oly is quite the imaging machine.

Here's a link to my PN portfolio for a larger look at my shot.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=16256572&size=lg

And here's the color version that also is a crop from the original. The B&W version is a crop from that

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=16224022&size=lg

Thanks again for looking

Brian

rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,079Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brianug, Aug 10, 2012

Gorgeous shot and it works in both B&W and color but my preference is the color version. You have some great work on your webpage too with a definite style.

I just bought a G1X to add to my 7D & 50D for a similar reason to yours. Looking forward to getting out and shooting with it.

Thanks for posting.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +20 more
natattack
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?

Thats so beautiful, I've always wondered what the mountain looked like- I had some climber friends who went to the top a few years back.

Nice gear you've got too-OM-D, 7D, g1X. You choose well!

paulo menge
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?

Great shots!!

George Wilt
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
In reply to natattack, Aug 10, 2012

Very nice. I suspect any camera would work well in your hands.

George Wilt's gear list:George Wilt's gear list
G1 X II
pineledger
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

Thanks for the look at the color version and your other Alaskan images. I am wondering if these are HDRs and if so what you used to process them. The detail is stunning.

h2k
h2k
Contributing MemberPosts: 593
Like?
In reply to Brianug, Aug 11, 2012

Brianug wrote:

Was pleased to get a Grizzly and two cubs in this shot which helped anchor it and give it scale. A fun and amazing place.

Thanks for mentioning. Otherwise wouldn't have noticed the animals. Should make for an impressive large-scale print, this one.

Brianug
Like?
In reply to pineledger, Aug 11, 2012

pineledger wrote:

Thanks for the look at the color version and your other Alaskan images. I am wondering if these are HDRs and if so what you used to process them. The detail is stunning.

Thanks again everyone for looking. The G1X captures detail for sure. No HDR, just did some layer masks with a little burn dodge in certain areas. Used the "curves" tool in LR. When the G1X got announced, I thought that it would be an excellent landscape camera for on the go. And it is.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads