*NEW Nikon J2*...exactly what the doctor ordered...

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
*NEW Nikon J2*...exactly what the doctor ordered...
Aug 9, 2012

I've been critical of the 1-system in the past, but loved the innovative AF. Now Nikon fixed the only problem with the J1...it wasn't available in ORANGE!

Thank goodness Nikon has a well paid market research team. They could have easily jacked around and added AEB modes or some such in a blind fury to sell their product, but instead they did EXACTLY what was needed to make the camera appealing!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 J2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JBrian
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Troll be gone!
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 9, 2012

Troll be gone!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
Nikon's #1 fanboy says it best...
In reply to JBrian, Aug 9, 2012

One has to wonder what's up with Nikon and the 1 line. The press release used to announce the camera has the following comedic highlight: "…are welcome additions to the ever growing Nikon 1 System." Uh, they're the only additions in a year, and they consist of a minor update to an existing body, a lens that no one will really want, and a very expensive underwater housing that doesn't work with the lens that no one will want. The headline to the press release probably should have read "Nikon Makes Two Lame Product Changes and Then Sinks in the Water."

-Thom Hogan

-
--
-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ThomasH_always
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
Re: Troll be gone!
In reply to JBrian, Aug 9, 2012

JBrian wrote:

Troll be gone!!!

Meaning you I suppose?

You should work on that sense of humor of yours. Maybe less laugh track TV shows, try to laugh by yourself when you see or hear something funny.

I for once like AngryCorky's observation. Now seriously, what "update" is the J2 really, except the color of course? This will a world-wide laughter on a great scale...

 ThomasH_always's gear list:ThomasH_always's gear list
Leica V-Lux 3 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,781Gear list
Like?
Re: *NEW Nikon J2*...exactly what the doctor ordered...
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 9, 2012

...and what you don't realize in your sarcasm is that, relative to the photographer they aiming this market to be, you are absolutely correct. Selling it in orange will sell many more cameras than adding AEB which 99% of the target audience won't even use, let alone know what it is.

AngryCorgi wrote:

I've been critical of the 1-system in the past, but loved the innovative AF. Now Nikon fixed the only problem with the J1...it wasn't available in ORANGE!

Thank goodness Nikon has a well paid market research team. They could have easily jacked around and added AEB modes or some such in a blind fury to sell their product, but instead they did EXACTLY what was needed to make the camera appealing!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

 happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JBrian
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: Troll be gone!
In reply to ThomasH_always, Aug 9, 2012

Actually I thought his post was a bit funny. However we all know where this post is gonna go so we may as well close it out early. Thants Thomas for giving my life direction. Maybe I am missing out in some laughter in my life

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
No Articulating LCD
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 9, 2012

LCD still fixed.

J2 not for me.

 4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anastigmat
Forum ProPosts: 12,579
Like?
Re: *NEW Nikon J2*...exactly what the doctor ordered...
In reply to happypoppeye, Aug 9, 2012

happypoppeye wrote:

...and what you don't realize in your sarcasm is that, relative to the photographer they aiming this market to be, you are absolutely correct. Selling it in orange will sell many more cameras than adding AEB which 99% of the target audience won't even use, let alone know what it is.

AngryCorgi wrote:

I've been critical of the 1-system in the past, but loved the innovative AF. Now Nikon fixed the only problem with the J1...it wasn't available in ORANGE!

The orange color probably appeals to some buyers, but then these buyers are actually few in number because people who buys an orange camera are even more likely to buy one with a fixed lens and a lower price tag. Heck, these people may even be satisfied by a cell phone camera and they may not be technical enough to change a camera lens their entire lives. People who buy cameras because they can change lenses are probably discouraged by the small sensor inside the 1 system cameras. Sooner or later, Nikon will need to increase sensor size to compete with cameras like the Sony NEX and Canon EOS M. The 1 system, if it sells in low enough numbers, may become a collector's camera. If not, then it is just a footnote in Nikon's marketing history. Nikon never intended the 1 system to become wildly popular, because if that happens, it will cannibalize the sales of its own APS-C DSLR cameras. Did Nikon do a greater than expected job to limit the appeal of the 1 system? Probably.

Thank goodness Nikon has a well paid market research team. They could have easily jacked around and added AEB modes or some such in a blind fury to sell their product, but instead they did EXACTLY what was needed to make the camera appealing!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bibi0012
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,106Gear list
Like?
Re: No Articulating LCD
In reply to 4thnebula, Aug 9, 2012

I saw the proto type when N1 came out.
An LCD was attached to V1's flash shot.
Articulating LCD maybe an add on to V2???

-- hide signature --

Current gears
-------------------
Nikon: D50, 18-55mm, 50mm f1.8,
Canon: 50mm f1.4, 18-55mm IS
Canon: S5, S95, SX150
Fuji: F31fd

Previous Gears
--------------------

Canon: Rebel XT, 60mm f2.8 macro, 24-105mm L, 17-85mm IS, 85mm f1.8, 17-40mm L, 17-55mm IS f2.8, 18-55mm
Canon: Pro90, S1, A710, A650, S5 IS, EX-420
Panasonic: ZS3,
Panasonic: GF1, 14-45mm, 20mm for GF1

Nikon: 18-200mm VR, 18-55mm, 55-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR, 16-85mm VR, 180mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-800
Sigma: 18-50mm f2.8
Tamron: 17-50mm f2.8, 28-75mm

 bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Re: No Articulating LCD
In reply to bibi0012, Aug 10, 2012

That would be good news. IMHO Nikon needs one of the two with an articulating LCD.

 4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,781Gear list
Like?
Nah
In reply to Anastigmat, Aug 10, 2012

Well, notice the #1 selling camera, of all digital cameras whether they be SLR, 4/3 or compact, on what may be the biggest seller of cameras in the world, is orange (as of right now). Whether you like it or not, this is what sells to most people, not some people. I think that one needs to realize that the number of really serious photographers relative to the number of people who buy cameras is a very small percentage. Last time I was in Japan, Thailand and the area ...every other camera, where the J1 accounted for a lot of them, was being toted around by a teenage girl who had it in pink or some other camera in some flourescent color. Unfortunately, thats what sells.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/281052

Anastigmat wrote:

happypoppeye wrote:

...and what you don't realize in your sarcasm is that, relative to the photographer they aiming this market to be, you are absolutely correct. Selling it in orange will sell many more cameras than adding AEB which 99% of the target audience won't even use, let alone know what it is.

AngryCorgi wrote:

I've been critical of the 1-system in the past, but loved the innovative AF. Now Nikon fixed the only problem with the J1...it wasn't available in ORANGE!

The orange color probably appeals to some buyers, but then these buyers are actually few in number because people who buys an orange camera are even more likely to buy one with a fixed lens and a lower price tag. Heck, these people may even be satisfied by a cell phone camera and they may not be technical enough to change a camera lens their entire lives. People who buy cameras because they can change lenses are probably discouraged by the small sensor inside the 1 system cameras. Sooner or later, Nikon will need to increase sensor size to compete with cameras like the Sony NEX and Canon EOS M. The 1 system, if it sells in low enough numbers, may become a collector's camera. If not, then it is just a footnote in Nikon's marketing history. Nikon never intended the 1 system to become wildly popular, because if that happens, it will cannibalize the sales of its own APS-C DSLR cameras. Did Nikon do a greater than expected job to limit the appeal of the 1 system? Probably.

Thank goodness Nikon has a well paid market research team. They could have easily jacked around and added AEB modes or some such in a blind fury to sell their product, but instead they did EXACTLY what was needed to make the camera appealing!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

 happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nicolas Isaksson
Contributing MemberPosts: 861Gear list
Like?
Re: *NEW Nikon J2*...exactly what the doctor ordered...
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 10, 2012

You guys should be happy Nikon is doing new stuff with the 1 series. Take it from an owner of an E-series olympus camera....I'd love if they would issue something new, even if it was just a new color camera or something.

 Nicolas Isaksson's gear list:Nicolas Isaksson's gear list
Olympus E-600 Pentax Q
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lee Beasley
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
Re: *NEW Nikon J2*...exactly what the doctor ordered...
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 11, 2012

Now, that's funny, and I ought to know. I bought a red J1 shortly after they were released. I liked it so much, I added a black V1. And I STILL don't know exactly what the attraction is. I guess I just love them because of their quirks. They're easy to grab and go and take great action pictures of my grandchildren--and anything else I happen to aim at. So now I'm wondering, will an orange J2 clash with my red lenses?

 Lee Beasley's gear list:Lee Beasley's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wayne N.
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,965
Like?
You have to admit though...
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 11, 2012

... as far as orange cameras go, that's a beauty!

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,227Gear list
Like?
Re: You have to admit though...
In reply to Wayne N., Aug 11, 2012

Wayne N. wrote:

... as far as orange cameras go, that's a beauty!

Seriously orange is my favorite color and the J1 looks cool that way but this 57 year old guy would never buy it. I also don't think I'm the target market either.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

 Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?
Re: Nah
In reply to happypoppeye, Aug 11, 2012

happypoppeye wrote:

Well, notice the #1 selling camera, of all digital cameras whether they be SLR, 4/3 or compact, on what may be the biggest seller of cameras in the world, is orange (as of right now).

Is it the color or, perhaps that has something to do with the fact it was an Amazon gold box deal of the day for $99?

But I guess color IS important. The #2 "Primary feature" listed by Nikon is....

"An attractive appearance that will make users proud to keep the camera with them wherever they go"

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0809_nikon_01.htm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Re: You have to admit though...
In reply to Wayne N., Aug 13, 2012

Orange seems to be the ultimate camouflage colour.
Nobody, absolutely nobody will take you serious as a photographer.
Really hiding in plain sight.
If they weren't that expensive, I’d love to try an orange J2 in the street.
--
Seedeich on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seedeich/tags/v1/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wayne N.
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,965
Like?
Re: You have to admit though...
In reply to Seedeich, Aug 13, 2012

Seedeich wrote:

Orange seems to be the ultimate camouflage colour.
Nobody, absolutely nobody will take you serious as a photographer.
Really hiding in plain sight.
If they weren't that expensive, I’d love to try an orange J2 in the street.

Lol! I think someone would beat you up just on principle!

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads