Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Rumor, new Panasonic Lumix 7-28mm
Aug 9, 2012

From 43 Rumors.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,697Gear list
Like?
Re: Rumor, new Panasonic Lumix 7-28mm
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Aug 9, 2012

If that lens happens and it's good without being overly large I might have to get into m43.

That's about the perfect focal range for my needs/wants, combined with the Oly 45mm f1.8 I'd be set I think.
--
Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168Gear list
Like?
Seems really unlikely....

Hmm, I think I'd rate that FT1 or FT0. I can't think of a single UWA zoom with a ratio much more than 2:1 in any format from any system at any time. I only know a little bit about optics but looking at the designs for UWA zooms and normal zooms the designs are wildly different and I doubt there is a practical design that can bridge that range. Obviously I could be quite wrong about that!
--
Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +25 more
assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: Seems really unlikely....
In reply to kenw, Aug 9, 2012
 assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740Gear list
Like?
In reply to assaft, Aug 9, 2012

assaft wrote:

There is this Fuji UWA lens on the X-PRO roadmap - http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/933/fujifilm-x-mount-lens-road-map-2012-2013/p1

Which one in this map is a 4x zoom? Even the telephoto is less than 4x.

assaft
Like?
In reply to tt321, Aug 9, 2012

tt321 wrote:

assaft wrote:

There is this Fuji UWA lens on the X-PRO roadmap - http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/933/fujifilm-x-mount-lens-road-map-2012-2013/p1

i was commenting only on the possibility of a UWA with a wider range than 2:1. The drawing shows a 10-24mm lens. However, I just noticed that in the text below it says 12-24mm. So I have no idea what is correct.

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
assaft
Like?

assaft wrote:

tt321 wrote:

assaft wrote:

i was commenting only on the possibility of a UWA with a wider range than 2:1. The drawing shows a 10-24mm lens. However, I just noticed that in the text below it says 12-24mm. So I have no idea what is correct.

in the press release quoted below they said 10-24mm, so that's probably the correct data.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/06/25/four-primes-three-zooms-on-new-fuji-x-mount-lens-roadmap

SLOtographer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,885Gear list
Like?

I wonder if 7-14 was mistranslated to 7-28, where the 14 was rewritten in 35mm equivalent terms.

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,459Gear list
Like?
THAT makes sense!
In reply to SLOtographer, Aug 9, 2012

SLOtographer wrote:

I wonder if 7-14 was mistranslated to 7-28, where the 14 was rewritten in 35mm equivalent terms.

A reworked 7-14mm makes far more sense than a 7-28mm dream.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Edward Rauschkolb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
I suspect error, probably 7-14 (FOV 14-28) replacement

Hi,

I suspect error on part of "source".

It is not clear, but appears that current 7-14mm may have been discontinued (lower price available at many places, in the sub $900 level) plus B&H has previously reported "discontinued" in past. I bought mine recenbtly new for $750

With advent of Pan 12-35, upcoming 35-100, both weather-sealed, and with a higher end construction, it makes sense for Panasonic to complete professional "trinity" with weather sealed new version of 7-14 cosmetically similar to the 12-35.

Since the "28" reported is 2x 14 and is the 35mm equivalent focal length, this would be an easy misstatement. To build a good quality 7-28 with any reasonable speed would be huge and expensive. OTOH Nikon did have a 24-50mm for many years,

I would buy a new weather-sealed 7-14. It is the only thing I miss from my Olympus 7-14.

Ed Rauschkolb

Edward Rauschkolb's gear list:Edward Rauschkolb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
GregGory
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,246
Like?
The most likely explanation you present there

SLOtographer wrote:

There's no way they can make a decent/ affordable 14-56mm EFL lens.

Some people have suggested waaay back that an OIS version is coming, but maybe Panasonic simply has decided to stock the current high end model in numbers, and start making a simpler, more affordable lower end version. Would be welcomed, since the 7-14mm is over the top for most m43 users - incl. me.

-- hide signature --

'If you can imagine sharing a waterbed with a baboon that's just been doused in itching powder.' J.C. reg. the suspension of the Lincoln Town Car '82

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,893Gear list
Like?

assaft wrote:

tt321 wrote:

assaft wrote:

That would only make 20-36mm a smaller range than 14-56mm, which, I agree With KenW, sounds very improbable.

May be that the rumors source goofed in the specs and it was meant to be 7-18mm, aka 14-36mm : that would allow them to compete against the Olympus 9-18mm.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +18 more
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
Re: I suspect error, probably 7-14 (FOV 14-28) replacement
In reply to Edward Rauschkolb, Aug 9, 2012

Where did you find a new 7-14 for $750? I would be all over that...

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 +17 more
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,045
Like?
In reply to Optical1, Aug 9, 2012

That would be an excellent deal. I recently sold mine used for over $800.

Optical1 wrote:

Where did you find a new 7-14 for $750? I would be all over that...

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,893Gear list
Like?

SLOtographer wrote:

That, or they made a typo and it was supposed to be 7-18mm instead of 7-28mm.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +18 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,215Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Aug 9, 2012

7-28 is equivalent to 14-56 and that makes no sense. 7-18 makes sense if its replacing the 7-14 and they should keep it an F 4.0. Unless they are going to try and do the Olympus competition that allows filters?

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
brian032
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Aug 9, 2012

Maybe he's just trying to keep his dedicated readers interested. 7-28 sounds a bit bogus.

Edward Rauschkolb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to Optical1, Aug 9, 2012

Hi,

I purchased it from Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus Ohio (mpex.com) from a mid-July "Dig for your Deal" email promotion, On that promotion, you had to phone in and offer a price for that particular lens. It was initially refused but the following week was again available for $750. These sales do not last long.

I have recently received a new "Dig for your Deal" promotion which showed the 7-14 at something like $855, if I remember correctly. They sometimes offer outstanding deals and are a first class pro-equipment operation (but I have never physically been there). They initially sent me the 7-14 (I think a store demo without the lens cap. I spoke with them and they arranged a pickup and replacement at their cost. I have also bought high end ProFoto Monolight kits from them.

Anyway, you might want to give them a call on current pricing for the 7-14.

Also keep an eye on Amazon, although high right now, they sometimes offer great deals. I just bought the 45-175 for $280 with free shipping.

Ed

Edward Rauschkolb's gear list:Edward Rauschkolb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to kenw, Aug 9, 2012

kenw wrote:

Hmm, I think I'd rate that FT1 or FT0. I can't think of a single UWA zoom with a ratio much more than 2:1 in any format from any system at any time. I only know a little bit about optics but looking at the designs for UWA zooms and normal zooms the designs are wildly different and I doubt there is a practical design that can bridge that range. Obviously I could be quite wrong about that!
--
Ken W
See profile for equipment list

I understand your logic, but it is possible, or maybe they have made a mistake on the focal range and it is a new 7-14mm weather sealed to complement the 12-25mm and 35-100mm.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Yes, I thought the same, it makes sense.

SLOtographer wrote:

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

I have though the same. Maybe it was a mistake, on telling the focal range. It makes sense.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads