XZ-1 advice/tips

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions
jeegnesh
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
XZ-1 advice/tips
Aug 8, 2012

I have used dpreview forums everytime I bought a camera and I have bought alot of camera's, always window shopping but decided it was finally time to join.

So after some good reading on here I went for the XZ-1 and am really really please with it, I have a Nikon D7000 but found with young kids it wasn't the easiest thing to carry around and after trying a number of camera's (NEX-5, s95, G12, P7000), for one reason or another were not for me, I am really liking the XZ-1 for my usage level. Have purchased Dublin 30 case as I wanted the slighest of cases I could get away with, seperate charger and 2 extra batteries (cheap on eBay), and the LC-63A auto lens cap.

Some questions I had:-

1 - Indoor shooting when the lights are on I get very yellow images, I am guessing I need to use a specific WB setting?

2 - What setting to use for kids when there running about eg. sportday or even my little girl who just will not stay still for pics. I found outdoor in good light I could use 1/400 in S mode and pics came out pretty good, but I guess I would not be able to use that indoors?

3 - I find pics are rich in colour but frequently on the dark side, tend to use fill light in picasa a fair few times, should I get the exposure to +something?

Any other tips for a new shooter, there was settings on here about P mode, center, fish icon, I have set them and am using those already.

Thanks in advance.

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D7000 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1 advice/tips
In reply to jeegnesh, Aug 9, 2012

Welcome aboard, enjoy your XZ-1.
Are you using jon404 setting?

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Otto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?

Here's a link to some good info/tips for the XZ-1 that I keep in my bookmarks.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=39272261

Hope this helps,
Otto...

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S400 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Arcsoft Panorama Maker +13 more
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199Gear list
Like?

jeegnesh wrote:

1 - Indoor shooting when the lights are on I get very yellow images, I am guessing I need to use a specific WB setting?

Right. In fact, I often need to increase the exposure. I feel that certain light source tends to cause more noise.

2 - What setting to use for kids when there running about eg. sportday or even my little girl who just will not stay still for pics. I found outdoor in good light I could use 1/400 in S mode and pics came out pretty good, but I guess I would not be able to use that indoors?

For outdoor, I either use A-mode or P-mode because F4.0 is sharpest base on experiments done by other forum members. And it also keeps just about everything in focus. If you use S-mode outdoor, at 1/400, you risk over exposure. Also when the camera choose smaller aperture, image quality suffers. I use S-mode mainly indoor so I don't ended up with blurred image.

3 - I find pics are rich in colour but frequently on the dark side, tend to use fill light in picasa a fair few times, should I get the exposure to +something?

That would help. Also, stick to RAW file for indoor shots.

Any other tips for a new shooter, there was settings on here about P mode, center, fish icon, I have set them and am using those already.

Thanks in advance.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,027
Like?

jeegnesh wrote:

Yes. Indoor light is much yellower than sunlight so you need to use the WB setting appropriate to the source (tungsten light). Or, if you used flash, you would use the WB setting for flash which approximates to daylight.

On many cameras the 'auto WB' setting does a good job in most outdoor / flash situations but doesn't get indoor light right (as you have found) in which case you need to set the WB manually for tungsten lighting (or use flash, or shoot RAW).

You need, of course, the fastest shutter speed possible. outdoors in good light that is easy. Indoors there is no way you'll be able to use 1/400 sec even with the lens wide open, unless you use the highest ISO setting in which case image quality will be very poor due to noise. So use flash indoors unless the subject is sitting still.

My XZ-1 exposes very well. Without specific examples it's difficult to guess, but what you describe could arise fro including too much bright sky in the picture (the camera sees very bright areas and gives a short exposure, which means that the less brightly lit parts of the scene are underexposed).

If you have bright sky in the background, add +0.7 or +1 stop of exposure compensation. or (easier) is to use manual mode. Take a meter reading by pointing the camera at the ground and set that manually. Then the setting will be correct until the light changes, even if you include sky in the picture.

Best wishes
--
Mike
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/mikeward

jeegnesh
Like?
In reply to KTClown, Aug 9, 2012

Yes using jon404 settings.

Thanks have scanned the tips posting.

jeegnesh
Like?
In reply to joe6pack, Aug 9, 2012

joe6pack wrote:

jeegnesh wrote:

Right. In fact, I often need to increase the exposure. I feel that certain light source tends to cause more noise.

For outdoor, I either use A-mode or P-mode because F4.0 is sharpest base on experiments done by other forum members. And it also keeps just about everything in focus. If you use S-mode outdoor, at 1/400, you risk over exposure. Also when the camera choose smaller aperture, image quality suffers. I use S-mode mainly indoor so I don't ended up with blurred image.

Will try that out.

That would help. Also, stick to RAW file for indoor shots.

Never got into RAW think that has to be my next step.

Thanks in advance.

jeegnesh
Like?
In reply to mike703, Aug 9, 2012

mike703 wrote:

jeegnesh wrote:

Yes. Indoor light is much yellower than sunlight so you need to use the WB setting appropriate to the source (tungsten light). Or, if you used flash, you would use the WB setting for flash which approximates to daylight.

On many cameras the 'auto WB' setting does a good job in most outdoor / flash situations but doesn't get indoor light right (as you have found) in which case you need to set the WB manually for tungsten lighting (or use flash, or shoot RAW).

I will play with WB next time, When I use the flash the pictures come out fine but look quite fake, again I am sure its a setting thing, but don't know what to set when using flash. I like pics when you use bounce flash but thats not possible with the built-in flash off course.

You need, of course, the fastest shutter speed possible. outdoors in good light that is easy. Indoors there is no way you'll be able to use 1/400 sec even with the lens wide open, unless you use the highest ISO setting in which case image quality will be very poor due to noise. So use flash indoors unless the subject is sitting still.

So are you saying for indoor movement use flash all the time?

My XZ-1 exposes very well. Without specific examples it's difficult to guess, but what you describe could arise fro including too much bright sky in the picture (the camera sees very bright areas and gives a short exposure, which means that the less brightly lit parts of the scene are underexposed).

If you have bright sky in the background, add +0.7 or +1 stop of exposure compensation. or (easier) is to use manual mode. Take a meter reading by pointing the camera at the ground and set that manually. Then the setting will be correct until the light changes, even if you include sky in the picture.

Yes you are spot on, these pics are ones with the sky in the background, will have a go at stepping up the exposure first of all.

Best wishes
--
Mike

mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,027
Like?

jeegnesh wrote:

I will play with WB next time, When I use the flash the pictures come out fine but look quite fake, again I am sure its a setting thing, but don't know what to set when using flash. I like pics when you use bounce flash but thats not possible with the built-in flash off course.

That's the nature of direct flash - the lighting does look a bit unnatural. the only way around that is to use off-camera flash (which you can do) but that gets complicated, requiring a separate flashgun, stand, diffuser etc. If you are that interested in flash photography normally you'd use a DSLR. For the convenience and portability of a compact you have to accept some limitations and this is one of them

So are you saying for indoor movement use flash all the time?

I would, unless the light is very bright and you can get a shutter speed of 1/250 sec or so with the lens at f/1.8, which case you can do without flash. but for a moving kid you do want a fast shutter speed.

Best wishes
--
Mike

ToddSC
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

The XZ-1 also has the ability to use flash in a fill situation. You can dial in as much or as little flash as you wish. I often use flash even on the beach to fill in the harsh sun that creates raccoon looking eyes.

ToddSC's gear list:ToddSC's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
jeegnesh
Like?

I just realized that the WB was set to fish icon with jon404 settings when indoors with lights on, guessing that probably didn't help much

Floyd Kessler
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?
In reply to KTClown, Aug 9, 2012

Is there an XZ-1 for Dummies published yet? My C750UZ was a lot easier to use and the results were more consistent.
It's a good camera. I'm the problem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads