Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
Aug 8, 2012

I was trying to do MFA but was not able to AF using Liveview. Wonder if anyone has tried MFA 7D firmware 2.0 with EOS Utility 2.11.4?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 8, 2012

Someone posted official Canon literature on here that states you must have the newest EOS utility to use some of its features w/the 7D V2 firmware). This also applies w/DPP & other newest Canon software.. 2.11.4 is not the newest version, though it has the highest #. You must go by date release.

If you're using a Mac OS, you are facing the same dilemna as me. The newest Canon software they say you need to use for all features isn't yet compatible w/the newest Mountain Lion OS 10.8, only to Lion 10.7. Nor the 10.5 Leopard I'm using. I haven't checked to see if 10.7 is even still available from Apple, but I'm not going to fret it for now as my software features I typically use appear to be working with V2.

Whatever OS you're using, like me you need to update your Canon software and possibly your OS to do so in order to use all features.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to katman68, Aug 8, 2012

EOS Utility 2.11.4 is the latest version (released 7/19/12).

I could not AF in Liveview (as in remote shooting) using EOS Utility 2.11.4 and 7D firmware 2.0. Has anyone tried AF in Liveview with 7D firmware 2.0 tethered?

katman68 wrote:

Someone posted official Canon literature on here that states you must have the newest EOS utility to use some of its features w/the 7D V2 firmware). This also applies w/DPP & other newest Canon software.. 2.11.4 is not the newest version, though it has the highest #. You must go by date release.

If you're using a Mac OS, you are facing the same dilemna as me. The newest Canon software they say you need to use for all features isn't yet compatible w/the newest Mountain Lion OS 10.8, only to Lion 10.7. Nor the 10.5 Leopard I'm using. I haven't checked to see if 10.7 is even still available from Apple, but I'm not going to fret it for now as my software features I typically use appear to be working with V2.

Whatever OS you're using, like me you need to update your Canon software and possibly your OS to do so in order to use all features.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045Gear list
Like?
Works fine on Windows XP System
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Danga wrote:

I was trying to do MFA but was not able to AF using Liveview. Wonder if anyone has tried MFA 7D firmware 2.0 with EOS Utility 2.11.4?

I had the 7D tethered last night to register all of my lenses (they get set to a default list after the firmware upgrade) and played around with remote shooting. Everything worked fine for me.

 MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,605Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Danga wrote:

EOS Utility 2.11.4 is the latest version (released 7/19/12).

I could not AF in Liveview (as in remote shooting) using EOS Utility 2.11.4 and 7D firmware 2.0. Has anyone tried AF in Liveview with 7D firmware 2.0 tethered?

I was having focus issues with Focal MFA software, might be related.
Were you using a Canon lens?
My issue was with a Sigma lens. Haven't tried any others yet.

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to TTMartin, Aug 9, 2012

It is a Canon lens.

Problem with 2 computers running Vista 32, 1 with EOS Utility 2.11.4 and 1 with 2.10.2.

Once go to Liveview, AF button is not available.

TTMartin wrote:

Danga wrote:

EOS Utility 2.11.4 is the latest version (released 7/19/12).

I could not AF in Liveview (as in remote shooting) using EOS Utility 2.11.4 and 7D firmware 2.0. Has anyone tried AF in Liveview with 7D firmware 2.0 tethered?

I was having focus issues with Focal MFA software, might be related.
Were you using a Canon lens?
My issue was with a Sigma lens. Haven't tried any others yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Danga wrote:

EOS Utility 2.11.4 is the latest version (released 7/19/12).

My apologies, I was thinking of the DPP .4 not being the newest(i believe .31 is). My Mac OS 10.5 has me stuck with so many older versions until I upgrade to OS 10.7...or wait until Canon has all their software OS 10.8 compatible

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
birdbrain
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Works fine on Mac OSX Lion and 2.11.4

Oh and by the way I checked the CA adjustment lens selection and had to add a couple which had not been checked, so a timely reminder.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

 birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Larry Wallis
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

I’ve been using this to try to MFA my lenses and it works on an XP computer and a Windows 7 laptop.

However, a couple of stupid ideas:

When you say the “AF button” you don’t mean the button at the top left of the first screen do you? I’ve found this only works in “normal” view. When you move to live view you get the new screen and you operate the live view focusing from the new screen.

The way I play with it is to hover over the “normal” focus button on the first screen until I hear the camera beep to say it’s got focus. Then I open up the live view screen, then the magnified view and look at the live image. In both live view windows you can move focus back and forward to give an idea of how far off the original position was. And you can "fully" live focus using another button, on the live view screen, if you want to (by this I mean mimic the camera's live view focus so you end up with the centre square changing from white to green).

I then close down all the live view windows and try a new MFA value in the camera, hover over the normal focus button etc etc repeating the whole process. This is actually a long story as I’ve discovered just how often the AF miss-focuses due purely to random changes… a topic for another thread!

The second idea, if you know the above, is that using a long interconnecting cable between the computer and camera may cause odd glitches.

Larry Wallis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Larry Wallis, Aug 9, 2012

When you point the mouse to the shutter you get a focus beep in the "normal" view right? That's not Liveview as you have not started Liveview mode ( I did exactly what you described: AF in "normal" view before starting "Live" view and move back and forward to check changes in sharpness. BTW there is no change in MFA with my lenses doing this way).

Live view AF worked for me before firmware 2.0 with the same computers. After updating to firmware 2.0 I want to see if MFA has changed. AF in Live view is not available with 2 different versions of EOS utility.

I’ve been using this to try to MFA my lenses and it works on an XP computer and a Windows 7 laptop.

However, a couple of stupid ideas:

When you say the “AF button” you don’t mean the button at the top left of the first screen do you? I’ve found this only works in “normal” view. When you move to live view you get the new screen and you operate the live view focusing from the new screen.

The way I play with it is to hover over the “normal” focus button on the first screen until I hear the camera beep to say it’s got focus. Then I open up the live view screen, then the magnified view and look at the live image. In both live view windows you can move focus back and forward to give an idea of how far off the original position was. And you can "fully" live focus using another button, on the live view screen, if you want to (by this I mean mimic the camera's live view focus so you end up with the centre square changing from white to green).

I then close down all the live view windows and try a new MFA value in the camera, hover over the normal focus button etc etc repeating the whole process. This is actually a long story as I’ve discovered just how often the AF miss-focuses due purely to random changes… a topic for another thread!

The second idea, if you know the above, is that using a long interconnecting cable between the computer and camera may cause odd glitches.

Larry Wallis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Larry Wallis
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Now that’s really annoying! I posted a moderately lengthy reply about an hour ago and it’s completely disappeared… I hope my post hasn’t ended up somewhere else!

Try again with a shorter reply (hope it makes sense):

When you point the mouse to the shutter you get a focus beep in the "normal" view right?

Agreed.

That's not Liveview as you have not started Liveview mode

Agreed.

( I did exactly what you described: AF in "normal" view before starting "Live" view and move back and forward to check changes in sharpness. BTW there is no change in MFA with my lenses doing this way).

I’m not totally sure we are saying the same thing. There are two focus buttons, the first is as above and you set the “normal” focus and hear the beep and get the effects of MFA.

Having done that, switching to live view enables you to see how close you’ve focused. If MFA (plus everything else) is perfect, you will see a perfect image. In the real world, it will be OOF. You can see by how much by operating the focus controls in the live view mode. Or, you can AF in live view using the live view focus button (i.e. not the “normal” focus button).

Live view AF worked for me before firmware 2.0 with the same computers. After updating to firmware 2.0 I want to see if MFA has changed. AF in Live view is not available with 2 different versions of EOS utility.

If you are saying the “normal” focus button worked for live view before the upgrade, and now does not, I’m out of ideas because, for me, it never did that; it was normal focus button for normal view, and live focus button for live view, and this is what still happens on both my computers.

Larry Wallis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Larry Wallis, Aug 9, 2012

I am not saying "normal" focus button worked for Live view before the upgrade. Before the update I could AF in Live view and now the option of AF is not available to me once I switch to Live view.

When you are in Live view (contrast detection) where is the Live auto focus button (not the ones to move back and forward)?

Larry Wallis wrote:

If you are saying the “normal” focus button worked for live view before the upgrade, and now does not, I’m out of ideas because, for me, it never did that; it was normal focus button for normal view, and live focus button for live view, and this is what still happens on both my computers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Larry Wallis, Aug 9, 2012

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/MA-web/

I have been using this procedure for MFA. Step 8 (Live view AF) is not working for me after firmware 2.0 using EOS Utility 2.11.4 and 2.10.2 on 2 different Vista 32 computers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Larry Wallis
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Ah! Now I understand! The way you are doing it is different from how I do it. So, in terms of the differences for you, I can’t help because I’ve not done it “your” way before.

But, looking at the web site to which you linked, at step 5 I’m in Live mode, not Quick mode. Then at step 8 I could press the “ON” button just as shown in the link and this does a Live mode focus. This is actually only of slight interest because, obviously, the MFA stuff is with normal focus.

I pretty much follow the ideas in the link, but I use Live mode throughout. I align the centre spot on my selected focus point using the actual camera, not the software so none of those steps are relevant to me. I then focus hovering over the button shown in the picture under step 4. Having focused, I then Press the “Remote Live View shooting” button as shown under step 4, but keep to Live mode, then jump to step 9 (and I DON’T refocus as per step 8) and carry on with the rest of the steps. I then close down the live view windows and put the MFA into the camera. Then repeat all the steps starting with the hover focus under step 4.

I guess if you have been used to doing it the other way, my way will be a bit of a pain because you have to keep opening and closing the live view mode; but if you can put up with it, you can still get the job done. Also, I think step 8 may work in “your” way, because the camera makes noises when you press the button, and seems to refocus, but I agree it doesn’t give the beep. As I’ve only just tried this for the first time, I’m not 100% sure of what it is doing.

Also, they make it sound so easy! In practice, I found that every time I did the hover focus, the camera will focus to slightly different places so I have to do it many times before deciding that, most of the time, it front/back focuses by x. Also, the greater than/less than buttons at step 10 will often move focus by the equivalent of several steps, so one click greater than may need 4 clicks of less than to get back to the original position.

I’m thinking of getting the FoCal software everyone goes on about because spending hours as above is getting irritating!

Sorry for the confusion!

Larry Wallis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Larry Wallis, Aug 9, 2012

Since I cannot AF in Live view by clicking the On button in Step 8, I did AF in "normal" view then open in Live view like you did to see any of my lenses MFA changes from their previously "stored" MFA values (after firmware update).

The reason you did your "way" because you want to use "phase detection" AF? Like you said, it will get the job done, but I think Live view AF is easier.

Larry Wallis wrote:

...my way will be a bit of a pain because you have to keep opening and closing the live view mode; but if you can put up with it, you can still get the job done.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Larry Wallis
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Danga wrote:

The reason you did your "way" because you want to use "phase detection" AF? Like you said, it will get the job done, but I think Live view AF is easier.

Yes, you are correct; I want to try to get phase detection AF as good as possible. But, I’m getting confused again; MFA is for phase detection tweaking, not Live view. Live view uses contrast detection off the sensor used to take the picture so will always be pretty good. Because the phase detector is a different sensor there is a chance that it will focus at a different point from the main sensor; MFA tweaks the difference.

MFA won’t have any effect on Live view focusing.

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood you.

Larry Wallis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Malith Gayan
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4 - I Solved It
In reply to Danga, Sep 4, 2012

I had the same problem. There was a small error message displayed below the live view window. It said "Custom Function IV-1 is set"

So I reset the custom function IV-1 (Custom Controls)

There after my Live View AF worked just fine.

Please check yours as well.

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4 - I Solved It
In reply to Malith Gayan, Sep 4, 2012

I got that message but did not want to reset my Custom Controls. I think that was it. Thanx.

Malith Gayan wrote:

I had the same problem. There was a small error message displayed below the live view window. It said "Custom Function IV-1 is set"

So I reset the custom function IV-1 (Custom Controls)

There after my Live View AF worked just fine.

Please check yours as well.

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads