LEFT AF ISSUE is a MYTH Locked

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
xenon-mkd
Regular MemberPosts: 124
LEFT AF ISSUE is a MYTH
Aug 8, 2012

Left so called AF issue is a myth by trolls and Canon owners who got severely f-ed with their 7 year old tech and overpriced toy the 5D MKIII or should I say 5d mk 2.1!

It's also a myth by nubs that expect lens's PERIPHERAL sharpness to be the same as in the center.

Don't fall for this crap, the D800 is FLAWLESS, that's why the haters spam this forum with imaginary threads. Let em post PICTURES that they actually own a D800 body!

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce sawle
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Re: LEFT AF ISSUE is a MYTH
In reply to xenon-mkd, Aug 8, 2012

Prick

Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,482Gear list
When I woke this morning I promised myself that nothing

would interfere with my hidden kindness and chivalry. I will keep my promise.
--

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
I just flipped a coin...

And it came up tails. ANYONE who tells you that flipped coins can come up heads are LYING CHEATS. Do not believe them!

Bet the house on tails. ALWAYS.
--
Recent work: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjA6aiyS

xenon-mkd
Re: When I woke this morning I promised myself that nothing
In reply to Raul, Aug 8, 2012

I love people mounting wide aperture lenses, like 24mm f1.4, keeping it 4 meters from target, focusing on a flat plane sheet of paper which isn't even properly laid out flat, shooting with the peripheral areas of their wide-open wide angle lenses and expecting to see super sharp text Amazing.

Reminds me of people that buy a 600cc or 1000cc (hell some even go for a 1300/1400 cc) sport bike as their first bike...

D800 is not a toy apes, I believe only 10% of the reports here are legitimate and most of the time even those correlate more to the actual lens alignment than the camera itself.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027Gear list

k tnx bye
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
xenon-mkd

God knows how much the 5D MKIII markup is, I believe Canon makes a LOT MORE PROFIT than NIKON on that toycam, since they invested 0 (ZERO) in new sensor R&D unlike Nikon/Sony.

Don't be amazed that all so called "photographer" evangelists like Ken Donatemewell, and few others now prefer the 5D MKIII and badmouth the D800, it's because the HIGH $$$ being paid to these people to keep the machine running. It's easy as that, pay a few apes on the forums to spam for "problems" pay the so called experts to promote your product and you have a solid marketing strategy.

I know this forum as well as other forums are frequented by lurkers that never post, trust me, the D800 is amazing, I'm sick of the marketing schemes being designed by high budget companies that instead of investing in R&D they invest in marketing and come up with nothing new like Canon did.

Make all of these peeps reporting "problems" post proof they actually own a camera before taking anything they say seriously.

Ken Donatemewell and similar get TENS OF THOUSANDS dollars to sometimes sway the public opinion in a certain direction, he is a lobbyst, like most of the posters on this board are.

I'm sick of this marketing driven world, all moral values went to the s-hole, all boils down to money.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474Gear list
Well, you are half right...
In reply to mnodonnell, Aug 8, 2012

No text

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
xenon-mkd

As for the people suspecting real problems, download some Dept of field (DOF) calculator programs or google for some sites that offer the service online, input your parameters:

• focal length of the lens

• aperture number

• sensor type

• distance to target

to see how much dept of field you have to play with (area in which to expect the focal plane to produce in-focus image)

On a Canon 85mm 1.2 lens for example, wide-open the DOF can sometimes be 3-5mm (thats around 1/10th to 1/6th of an inch!), and by doing portrait work at close distance, focusing on one eye can show the other eye completely out of focus.

tashley
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,132Gear list
Please guys: don't feed this one

Please everyone, please, don't feed this one: the last thing we need is another 150 long thread dedicated to people shouting at each other, started with nothing but that intention in mind.

Let's see if THIS post can be the last one in the thread and that it sinks off the chart quickly. Please? This place could be so constructive and useful.

-- hide signature --

Gallery & Blog : http://www.timashley.com

mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
Sorry, didn't realize you were drunk. Cheers. (nt)
-- hide signature --
xenon-mkd

To conclude:

There are only a handful forums online which attract thousands and thousands of users (in all areas of interest, be it consumer goods, services etc).

It's much cheaper to finance a company to be active on these forums with an agenda to promote your product and belittle the competition, than it is to finance TV and banner campaigns which cost 100s of times more.

Marketing paradigm has shifted away from traditional TV and even online banner marketing to more sophisticated "reviews" / public opinion and forum talk, and some people are banking major time on that.

IMO, learn to read between the lines, marketing agents are a major part of forum communities nowadays posing as everyday users.

xenon-mkd
Re: Please guys: don't feed this one
In reply to tashley, Aug 8, 2012

Also don't listen to people like this, this reply from his end is a standard form of dealing with people that want to shake the system:

• they either label you as a troll

• drunk or insane

• dangerous

In a nice, metrosexual way trying to herd the majority. I'm talking to the individuals out there with common sense and logic to form their own opinions, you might be just 1 real person - don't fall for these guys, they fight for every single vote. Their machinery can't be disrupted, it has to stay oiled.

tashley wrote:

Please everyone, please, don't feed this one: the last thing we need is another 150 long thread dedicated to people shouting at each other, started with nothing but that intention in mind.

Let's see if THIS post can be the last one in the thread and that it sinks off the chart quickly. Please? This place could be so constructive and useful.

-- hide signature --

Gallery & Blog : http://www.timashley.com

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,342Gear list

xenon-mkd wrote:

To conclude:

There are only a handful forums online which attract thousands and thousands of users (in all areas of interest, be it consumer goods, services etc).

It's much cheaper to finance a company to be active on these forums with an agenda to promote your product and belittle the competition, than it is to finance TV and banner campaigns which cost 100s of times more.

Marketing paradigm has shifted away from traditional TV and even online banner marketing to more sophisticated "reviews" / public opinion and forum talk, and some people are banking major time on that.

IMO, learn to read between the lines, marketing agents are a major part of forum communities nowadays posing as everyday users.

One of the more modern techniques is to employ people to go to competitor's forums and use provocative language to create an argument that tricks loyal users into saying, "oh yeah...my Nikon really is defective."

The result is 150 posts from users thinking they won the argument by insisting there is a problem with there camera. Using loyal users to repeat the existence of a technical issue, in their own forum, is a clever but obvious ploy.

Don't fall for it.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889
In reply to Sal Baker, Aug 8, 2012

I have read all the comments under this thread and have my own opinion based on the fact if the d800 has the same af system as the d4, why are we not hearing anything much from the d4 crowd?

I will not voice my opinion since it would only cause more comments that will not improve my photography.

Larry

Jim Gilley
Forum MemberPosts: 65

Well now, aren't we just the little tosser? If you enjoy being a troll so much, perhaps you would find greater entertainment by posting in the forums over at Fake Chuck. You're 5D3 comments are certainly spot-on and would no doubt earn you great notoriety over there.

Gosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 784Gear list

Some people just bury their head into the sand, and never look up!
--
Gosman

Gosman's gear list:Gosman's gear list
Pentax K-3
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,993

xenon-mkd wrote:

I believe only 10% of the reports here are legitimate and most of the time even those correlate more to the actual lens alignment than the camera itself.

Right, so you say some of the reports are legitimate now? So is it a myth or isn't it?

Anyway, I'm very pleased that your D800 is fine. Obviously everyone else's must be fine too. That's great news - thanks for sharing.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,944Gear list

Having looked at 71 images on dpreview 68 did not follow Nikon's guidance on what is likely to result in poor focus.

Two probably did not use a good target - but not enough information IMO to make a definitive comment.
One, subject to better testing, has about a 25% chance of a problem.

Thom Hogan has belatedly accepted outer AF sensors do not always work with some AF subjects central AF nails.

Put all this together and the average standard of "evidence" at dpreview seems extremely low.

On the other hand this does not show no D800 owner has a defective product. Even so even if there is a problem less than 2% of posters would seem to have a camera with it.

It is more than 110 days since launch - and Nikon has not started a recall program. This implies even if there is a problem with sensible testing it afflicts very few cameras.
--
Leonard Shepherd

Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +18 more
Rich42
Regular MemberPosts: 193
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Aug 8, 2012

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Having looked at 71 images on dpreview 68 did not follow Nikon's guidance on what is likely to result in poor focus.

Two probably did not use a good target - but not enough information IMO to make a definitive comment.
One, subject to better testing, has about a 25% chance of a problem.

Thom Hogan has belatedly accepted outer AF sensors do not always work with some AF subjects central AF nails.

Put all this together and the average standard of "evidence" at dpreview seems extremely low.

On the other hand this does not show no D800 owner has a defective product. Even so even if there is a problem less than 2% of posters would seem to have a camera with it.

It is more than 110 days since launch - and Nikon has not started a recall program. This implies even if there is a problem with sensible testing it afflicts very few cameras.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Your "data collection" methods are more flawed than any I have ever encountered and your "conclusions" are flawed far beyond the degree to which you accuse D800 users who claim auto focus issues.

There is no statistical validity in any of these posts you make about the number of AF complaints you have compiled and your continued misrepresentation of "Nikon's guidance" regarding autofocus performance serves no one. You seem to delight in seriously confusing this issue.

You are doing nothing but adding to the noise.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads