Can the HX20 or RX100 serve as your only camera?

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Can the HX20 or RX100 serve as your only camera?
Aug 8, 2012

Curious to hear from those that purchased either the HX20 or RX100; do either of these serve as your only, all in one camera? HX20 definitely has more zoom, but the RX100 definitely has IQ closer to a DSLR (kind of like a mini DSLR in your pocket) which you can crop.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BubbaHotepUK
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Can the HX20 or RX100 serve as your only camera?
In reply to snapshot09, Aug 8, 2012

Very much horses for courses. If I was told I could only ever have either the RX100 or the HX20V, I'd personally opt for the HX20V.

For me, the zoom & fun factor outweighs the superior IQ and low light performance of the RX100. However, I can easily imagine other users would choose the RX100 for those very reasons I'd reject it.

What would surprise me would be that if anyone on here actually used either as their only camera. I've not been able to leave my HX20V alone since I got it, but I suspect that before long I'll be back to using my NEX7 for most of my shooting.

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Canon EOS 70D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?
In reply to BubbaHotepUK, Aug 8, 2012

My HX-30 Is my only dedicated camera (my old PnS is stored somewhere but there is no reason to get it out unless the HX30 breaks)

But I do have my iPhone always with me, and occasionally use that when I do not have the HX.

I'm not sure if I am your intended audience, because I have never owned a DSLr

It would of been a tough choice if the HX and RX were the same price. The zoom is so fun ..

keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

BubbaHotepUK wrote:

What would surprise me would be that if anyone on here actually used either as their only camera. I've not been able to leave my HX20V alone since I got it, but I suspect that before long I'll be back to using my NEX7 for most of my shooting.

Well don't I feel foolish now! Having divested myself of my x100 , I now own and use the RX100 exclusively. My bad!

ppvl57
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?

I use the RX100 for the most situations, but it's not versatile enough to cover all situations. I'm glad to have the Canon Sx40 hs superzoom along. It fills in the gaps.

The iQ is not as good as the RX100, but in tele-zoom it's quite impressive. I thinks it's the acceptable camera to accompany us on our journeys, next to the RX100. I will not use DSRL anymore.

snapshot09 wrote:

Curious to hear from those that purchased either the HX20 or RX100; do either of these serve as your only, all in one camera? HX20 definitely has more zoom, but the RX100 definitely has IQ closer to a DSLR (kind of like a mini DSLR in your pocket) which you can crop.

rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?

Simple answer: no.

The long answer: As good as the IQ straight out of my RX100 is, I don't think I will sell my dslr+lenses any time soon. But I do expect to take the tReX everywhere with me.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
 biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
AksCT
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

HX30V: Outstanding video quality, a lot of options and features, but unacceptable images quality under certain modes/conditions. I will not rely on HX30 for pictures that I would like to keep for a long time (good fun PnS for casual photography).

millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Depends on where you ask this, enthusiast gear forum ? probably not

For many people, I'm sure the RX100 could easily be their only camera. Heck, some people seem to be quite happy with just their iPhones after all.

Now for me, no it can't, because I do photography for a living and obviously am not going to show up to a wedding or football game with just the RX100, I need my Nikon's and big glass.

However, the RX100 did replace my EM-5 and Fuji X100 as my camera of choice for personal shooting.

Now since I have all my DSLR gear should I want to shoot family portraits etc it makes it easy to get rid f the m4/3 gear and such

If I didn't have my DSLR's though, then I'm not so sure, might of kept the EM-5 as well, but, as it stands right now, can't say I'm missing it and the RX100 is working great for my casual needs, so maybe it could lol

Really though it comes down to who you ask. Ask on a gear forum where most users have a lot of gear, are very serious about photography etc and the answer will be no.

Ask on some site for consumers who casually take pictures and I'm sure the answer would be yes far more often

Shorthand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,962Gear list
Like?

The answer to that question depends completely on your photographic "needs".

• If you are a person that would only own a DSLR with a kit lens, then yes the RX100 will cover all of your photographic needs.

• If you only shoot outdoors during the daytime and don't want subject-background isloation, then an HX can indeed be your one and only camera. (We have an old Panasonic TZ4 instead ... we aren't selling it but it doesn't get much use either.)

For many people, these cameras can be their only camera. However for the early adopters of the RX100, I don't think that that is the case. We know the limits of this cam and have other (larger) cameras for those times that we need to gather even more light.

Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D +8 more
Michel Savage
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shorthand, Aug 8, 2012

I have given up on telephoto nature shots (birds, etc), on macro nature and on sports. I have also given up on the appearance of being professional. Thus, I have sold DSLRs, L and Zeiss lenses, bags and bags of equipment. The RX100 is now my only camera (along a couple of P&S for technical work).

Michel Savage's gear list:Michel Savage's gear list
Nikon D7100
Evadremlu
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Rx100 is now my only camera.

My lifestyle requires that my camera reside in a belt pouch. Years ago decided that I would always have the BEST pocket camera that Money Can Buy.

Right now that one is the RX100.

Next Year???

Evadremlu's gear list:Evadremlu's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
snapshot09
Like?
To those that own only the HX20 or RX100....

Totally understand those that are attached to their DSLR.

But more interested in those that have moved away from your DSLR and only want one camera. Granted the HX20 offers more flexibility, but from those who have been cropping, it seems the RX100 would serve as an all in one camera, and crop where needed with still as good or better IQ than the HX20? In addition, performance better in the RX100?

snapshot09
Like?

Imagine too the Clear Image Zoom can make a difference on the RX100.

As for Auto mode, it there much difference between how both of these cameras work in Intelligent or Superior Auto?

BubbaHotepUK wrote:

Very much horses for courses. If I was told I could only ever have either the RX100 or the HX20V, I'd personally opt for the HX20V.

For me, the zoom & fun factor outweighs the superior IQ and low light performance of the RX100. However, I can easily imagine other users would choose the RX100 for those very reasons I'd reject it.

LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,944
Like?
Re: To those that own only the HX20 or RX100....

snapshot09 wrote:

Totally understand those that are attached to their DSLR.

But more interested in those that have moved away from your DSLR and only want one camera. Granted the HX20 offers more flexibility, but from those who have been cropping, it seems the RX100 would serve as an all in one camera, and crop where needed with still as good or better IQ than the HX20? In addition, performance better in the RX100?

I owned both HX20 and RX-100 and ultimately returned the RX100.

Optical zoom on the HX is considerably better than cropped RX images for the extreme tele shots I compared. The 500mm end of the HX20 is extremely sharp and the much wider 25mm is impossible to achieve with the RX-100.

Low light on the RX is where it excels compared to HX but still not as capable as an APS-C design. RX is terrific for indoor use but HX can disappoint in low light more often.

LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,944
Like?
Re: To those that own only the HX20 or RX100....
In reply to LSHorwitz1, Aug 8, 2012

If you are into taking insect, stamp, or other macro photos, the HX20 is not the best choice. However, the HX20 closeup sample below is pretty good for a small object, and, with cropping, can yield a very decent result with pretty generous depth of focus. The image below is a full 18Mpixel frame.

Larry

RonAnnArbor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Yes, yes it can.

I have now been using my RX100 exclusively for the past 5 weeks -- I haven't picked up my Nikon D7000 dSLR, and I don't expect to anytime soon.

Granted, the zoom is not ideal on the RX100, but with the ability to do substantial crops and maintain amazing IQ it doesn't matter that much.

Seriously, yes, you can get the same results with your RX100 as you can with a dSLR with a standard walk-around lens....so theoretically, yes, yes you can.

RonAnnArbor's gear list:RonAnnArbor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Hooterville
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, yes it can.
In reply to RonAnnArbor, Aug 8, 2012

RonAnnArbor wrote:

I have now been using my RX100 exclusively for the past 5 weeks -- I haven't picked up my Nikon D7000 dSLR, and I don't expect to anytime soon.

Granted, the zoom is not ideal on the RX100, but with the ability to do substantial crops and maintain amazing IQ it doesn't matter that much.

Seriously, yes, you can get the same results with your RX100 as you can with a dSLR with a standard walk-around lens....so theoretically, yes, yes you can.

How does the RX100 image quality compare to the D7000?

Hooterville's gear list:Hooterville's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

I just sold my Panasonic LX3 and my Olympus XZ1. I am holding onto my Fuji f31fd for a bit, because I have a soft spot for it, and it seems like such a little treasure. I have no cameras besides my RX100 other than my iPhone.

snapshot09 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
RonAnnArbor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, yes it can.
In reply to Hooterville, Aug 9, 2012

The image quality is virtually identical -- you can not tell the difference between which camera has taken which photo....

I have no way of sharing photos on here since I don't have a hosted photo site, or I would post some side by side comparisons --- when pixel peeping, the RX100 IQ is better due to the larger file size...but its mostly negiligible....

Seriously, I wouldn't hesitate using only this camera on an event shoot (my primary photography)...although as someone else mentioned, people at the event would expect a dSLR, so that is what I will end up using.

RonAnnArbor's gear list:RonAnnArbor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads