Burst is better than Canon claims

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions
JoeAmateur
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Burst is better than Canon claims
Aug 7, 2012

I'm consistently getting 27 continuous, uninterrupted frames in high-speed burst mode with the new firmware. I'm using regular ol' SanDisk Extreme UDMA 60Mb/sec cards, NOT UDMA-6.

Pretty awesome, eh? Any other pleasant surprises?
--
-Joe

JoeAmateur's gear list:JoeAmateur's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Box Brownie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,882
Like?
Re: Burst is better than Canon claims
In reply to JoeAmateur, Aug 7, 2012

Thanks for the insight ~ all my cards at the moment are Ultra II and Extreme III i.e. 30MB/s = 200x so any new ones will be for budget UDMA (UDMA 5) as UDMA6 are still quite expensive as far as I can so far in the UK???
--
Living life a slice at a time

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stone13
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to JoeAmateur, Aug 7, 2012

I use 2 16GB UDMA6 cards and my best so far on the new firmware is a 31 shot burst. I switched to large jpg only and simply gave up after over 200 shots, I think I could have filled the card with jpgs if I wanted to, the 7D is a beast....

JoeAmateur wrote:

I'm consistently getting 27 continuous, uninterrupted frames in high-speed burst mode with the new firmware. I'm using regular ol' SanDisk Extreme UDMA 60Mb/sec cards, NOT UDMA-6.

--
-Joe

-- hide signature --

7D gripped | Sigma 30 1.4 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 15-85 IS USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 430 EX II | Billingham 445

photojohne
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stone13, Aug 7, 2012

You guys are gonna break your shutter testing the burst rate

Awesome camera even if a few years old, it will last for a couple more years now.

Stone13 wrote:

I use 2 16GB UDMA6 cards and my best so far on the new firmware is a 31 shot burst. I switched to large jpg only and simply gave up after over 200 shots, I think I could have filled the card with jpgs if I wanted to, the 7D is a beast....

JoeAmateur wrote:

--
-Joe

-- hide signature --

7D gripped | Sigma 30 1.4 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 15-85 IS USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 430 EX II | Billingham 445

-- hide signature --
 photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
JoeAmateur
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stone13, Aug 7, 2012

wow, like a new-found Ferrari!

-- hide signature --

-Joe

JoeAmateur's gear list:JoeAmateur's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Mine is faster too
In reply to JoeAmateur, Aug 8, 2012

My RAW + jpeg burst is better than claimed to, and I'm just using a 16GB Lexmark Pro UDMA 300x! I tested mine on the same subject w/identical settings both before/after update to get an accurate HOW much of a difference it'd make...
Before: 8 frames
After: 18 frames
Yee-haw!
Wonder what a UDMA 6 would do - easily break 20?
(I've not tried just RAW, since I normally don't shoot that way)

Jan2009
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
The Blue Angels wont escape now :)
In reply to katman68, Aug 8, 2012

But too bad the event was held last weekend oh well there is always next year.

Can anyone else give idea when to use this fast burst shots? I know Blue Angels (airshow) is one example.

Thanks,
Norberto

Jan2009's gear list:Jan2009's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Beachcomber Joe
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
Re: The Blue Angels wont escape now :)
In reply to Jan2009, Aug 8, 2012

Jan2009 wrote:

Can anyone else give idea when to use this fast burst shots?

I use bursts extensively when shooting rodeos. I shoot RAW and bull riding and bronco busting always leave me with a full buffer. I am now getting 24 frames before buffer fills.

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeAmateur, Aug 8, 2012

It all depends on the size of the RAW file, which depends on sharpness and how much detail is in the photo. Canon apparently speced their buffer size conservatively to allow fairly large files. But with smallish RAW files, the number would go up, and with very large RAW files, like shooting trees with many leaves on sharp, it would crowed the buffer more and the total number would decrease. That's why everyone is getting a dfferent amount.

But yes... it is pretty awesome! I ran off over a 100 shots on mine yesterday just fooling around with the burst mode. LOL

JoeAmateur wrote:

--
-Joe

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +33 more
Jan2009
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
In reply to Beachcomber Joe, Aug 8, 2012

Oh yes that is a good application of burst shot! I too often visit DFW Stockyards, one time I went home with 2,5000 shots just because I use the burst wheww! I remember the picking time took a while

Thanks!

Jan2009's gear list:Jan2009's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Austin_Luker
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
In reply to Jan2009, Aug 8, 2012

I use a Delkin "CombatFlash" Flash Card 32GB UDMA6 91MB/s 625x and I am getting 31 shots every time in high speed burst also another important thing is not just being able to machine gun away at stuff but also "down time" while the buffer is being cleared. those 31 images are taking about 1.5 seconds to clear which isn't that bad, the only thing to top it is my 1DMKIV
--
AustinLuker.com
7D-5DMKII-1DMKIV

Roger Nordin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jan2009, Aug 10, 2012

Jan2009 wrote:

But too bad the event was held last weekend oh well there is always next year.

Can anyone else give idea when to use this fast burst shots? I know Blue Angels (airshow) is one example.

When chasing cheetahs at full speed!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=42218359

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Roger

Roger Nordin's gear list:Roger Nordin's gear list
Samsung TL350 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,220
Like?
In reply to JoeAmateur, Aug 11, 2012

At ISO100, M, and 1/5000 shutter speed, I was able to get 30 from my 30MB.s Extreme II shich is several years old.

In AV, ISO1600 and 1/320, only 23.

Greg Lavaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 878
Like?
In reply to JoeAmateur, Aug 12, 2012

Not really seeing a buffer increase but then I didn’t expect to as I am a jpeg shooter and the buffer was already huge. I do notice that since the FW upgrade deleting files in the camera takes way longer than it did before. So, no pleasant surprises for me but one unpleasant one.

Greg

apersson850
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Aug 13, 2012

Haven't tried that, but perhaps it's because there's now a database kept over the images on the card as well.
--
Anders

Greg Lavaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 878
Like?
In reply to apersson850, Aug 13, 2012

I think the slower delets might have had something to do with the particular card I was using. I have tried a different card and it seems like I can delete just as fast as I could before the update.

Greg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads