SD Card and A620 problem

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions
poppa68
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
SD Card and A620 problem
Aug 7, 2012

Wonder whether someone could advise. I have a pretty old and trusty A620 which my wife now uses. Had it for around 8 years with no problems; a great little camera.

Still using the original SD 498 mb card and thought I'd treat it to a new one. Boughta Sandisk SDHC 4 card with 4 gb. Loaded it and get the message. "Card Error" Card locked". It is definitely not locked. The "format card" section in the Menui is greyed out.
Card works fine in my SX40.

Maybe I have bought the wrong type of card but couldn't see any other sort of SD card in the store.
Any advice gratefully accepted.

poppa68's gear list:poppa68's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Canon EOS 10D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +4 more
Lenny on Ice
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Re: SD Card and A620 problem
In reply to poppa68, Aug 7, 2012

poppa68 wrote:

Wonder whether someone could advise. I have a pretty old and trusty A620 which my wife now uses. Had it for around 8 years with no problems; a great little camera.

Still using the original SD 498 mb card and thought I'd treat it to a new one. Boughta Sandisk SDHC 4 card with 4 gb. Loaded it and get the message. "Card Error" Card locked". It is definitely not locked. The "format card" section in the Menui is greyed out.
Card works fine in my SX40.

Maybe I have bought the wrong type of card but couldn't see any other sort of SD card in the store.
Any advice gratefully accepted.

I think you need an SD card only, not SDHC. Choose a card without the "Class" qualification, the speed qualification like "133x" will work. Those SD cards have 4GB at max.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
poppa68
Like?
In reply to Lenny on Ice, Aug 7, 2012

Thanks Lenny I thought it was something like that although I couldn't see that type of card in the store. I will have another look. Thanks for the help !
Geoff

Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Canon EOS 10D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +4 more
RickS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,574Gear list
Like?
In reply to poppa68, Aug 7, 2012

Lenny mentioned a 4GB SD card. While there were some non-HC 4GB SD cards made early on, they had a non-standard format and are now nearly impossible to find.

The only way you can be sure of getting a compatible card is to buy a 2GB (or less) card, which may also not be so easy to find. Even then you should probably check with Canon, or maybe another A620 user here who knows if it will accommodate a card that large. I know the A640 will but I don't know about the A620.

Good luck,
Rick

poppa68 wrote:

Thanks Lenny I thought it was something like that although I couldn't see that type of card in the store. I will have another look. Thanks for the help !
Geoff

RickS's gear list:RickS's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16
Steve40
Regular MemberPosts: 422
Like?
In reply to RickS, Aug 7, 2012

I don't imagine the old 620, is compatible with the new larger cards. In its day a 1 mb would have been a huge card, let alone anything larger. It may pay you to get in touch with Canon, and ask. Like the old PC's which can no longer keep up with modern software, and programmin. Our old cameras finally fall, before modern technology.
--
Steve40.
http://steveslandscapes.50webs.com

Lenny on Ice
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
In reply to Steve40, Aug 7, 2012

Steve40 wrote:

I don't imagine the old 620, is compatible with the new larger cards. In its day a 1 mb would have been a huge card, let alone anything larger. It may pay you to get in touch with Canon, and ask. Like the old PC's which can no longer keep up with modern software, and programmin. Our old cameras finally fall, before modern technology.
--
Steve40.
http://steveslandscapes.50webs.com

I have an old SD200 which came up in 2004 and it works just fine with a 4GB 133x SD card.

poppa68
Like?
In reply to Lenny on Ice, Aug 8, 2012

Thank you all for the info. I have got hold of a couple of 2gb cards from
7dayshop. Reckon they will be sufficient.
Do I need to know anything about CF cards for my old 10D ?
Yes I know I need to update ! Can't believe how long I have had these cameras!
My 10 month old SX40 is my new baby and I love it.
Thanks again and regards.
Geoff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads