Is it normal?? 😡

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Is it normal?? 😡
Aug 4, 2012

Hi

Yesterday I bought 2 lenses, the Oly 75 mm and the Pana/Leica 45 mm macro.

The Oly cost me a lot, but not including the lens hood as usual, which was an extra 110 usd (approx). That must be the ultimate rip off that a basic accessory is not included in such an expensive lens and so utterly expensive to buy in addition.

The Pana/Leica was very much cheaper, including a hood...

Shame on Olympus for treating their customers in this way. Expensive glass should include hoods, but if not, why sell them at rip off prices, p-ng their customers off.

I just hope there will be more of the excellent Pana/Leica glass available so I can avoid buying the ridiculously priced Olympus stuff.

Sure, I know, as long as there are buyers there are sellers, but this is bad treatment of customers In my view...

Anyone agrees??

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it normal?? 😡
In reply to MrScorpio, Aug 4, 2012

Why do you need a special rip off lens hood. The manufactures accessories like lens hoods, filters are way over priced. You can easily use a rubber lens hood or generic metal one for $20 or so. The lens hood does the same thing, nothing special about the Olympus branded one. Its like a Leica owner buying a Leica camera bag.

I would return it and get something more useful for the same $100. Think of the next lens being $100 less if you return that hood since your ready to spend it anyway.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pinnacle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,398Gear list
Like?
Plenty of inexpensive hoods at Amazon.com

The lens hood does not have any effect on IQ unless you have strong side lighting. Check out Amazon.com for a hood from a third party manufacturer and enjoy your new lens. It is highly unlikely that Panasonic will ever introduce a lens similar to what the IQ of Oly 75 is at any price.

That lens is a true gem and you should buy a cheap hood and move on to taking fabulous captures.
Dan
--

Will I learn from life's lessons or will I lose my faith in the goodness life's promise had to offer?

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
MrScorpio
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Aug 4, 2012

Fully agree on that, but even though I looked around I could not find a 3rd party hood for the 75 mm, which has a special mounting for its hood, not the traditional screw-on mounting.

Grrr...

-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Leica people probably wouldn't care less...(generalizing I know...)

ryan2007 wrote:

Why do you need a special rip off lens hood. The manufactures accessories like lens hoods, filters are way over priced. You can easily use a rubber lens hood or generic metal one for $20 or so. The lens hood does the same thing, nothing special about the Olympus branded one. Its like a Leica owner buying a Leica camera bag.

I'm in agreement with you but as for the Leica bit...I think most people who can afford a Leica camera and lenses are probably financially wealthy enough that uber overpriced Leica accessories really aren't even something worth thinking about (Damn them! ;)).

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
eBay is your friend :) (nt)
-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

I would return it and get something more useful for the same $100. Think of the next lens being $100 less if you return that hood since your ready to spend it anyway.

I think that MrScorpio was talking about the principle of it.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, even though he doesn't really exist.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
Dixa
Contributing MemberPosts: 808
Like?

i agree but olympus is not alone. canon only puts lens hoods in l lens boxes. a lot of their most used primes are not L

leica also does this as did contax with the g series. lens hood markup was over 50% so retailers are all too happy to sell em seperate.

even still, the iq on that 75 makes it worth the money. its less than canon 135L

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,107
Like?
Re: Is it normal??

I think is it normal.

I am guessing most people don't use hoods on their lenses.

I wouldn't buy a lens on the basis of whether or not it comes with a hood or a lens bag. If I need a hood I know I can look for a cheap one. I would rather have the price of the lens be cheaper without a lens hood. I've bought many lenses over the years.... the majority of which did not come with hoods or lens bags.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
nt)And rubber focus/zoom rings, I hate knurled controls!!!
In reply to MrScorpio, Aug 5, 2012

nt=No text

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,021Gear list
Like?

I totally agree with you. And worst of all, some of the Olympus Lens Hoods, which you need to pay for, are bad designs, as they tend to fall of. The connection is simply not robust enough. In case of the 14-150mm it is also a pain to put and take off the lens cap, when the hood is in shooting position.

On the other hand, the lens hood of the 12mm lens, a similar design as the 75mm lens hood, is the best I have seen so far, because it holds on the lens very reliably.

I prefer to pay a bit more and have reliable equipment, than to pay less and have crap.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, Aug 5, 2012

You can buy a screw in, collapsible rubber lens hood for about 10 bucks. It will block stray light just as well as a $110 hood. Plus it will act as a shock absorber should your lens bump into something unlike the $110 ripoff which will transmit the shock to your lens.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
to_markus
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
YES

For mFT this seems to get normal: Olympus dropped to deliver any lenshood or -bag with mFT products (even the EM-5 kit), but you still recieve hood and bag with every Panasonic lens, or with any Oly FT pro and toppro lens from their "better" past.

I remember they didn´t deliver all covers with mFT kits, I once got the E-PL1 double zoom kit: 14-42 with lens back cover replacement, 40-150 + MMF without hood, lens backcover or MMF frontcover > LR-2 €11 + LR-1 €10 + BC-1 €12 + LH-61D €30 + no LH for the old 14-42

Another ripoff are this unusabel frontcovers without inner grips, so you can´t get them off with the hood on the lens.

to_markus's gear list:to_markus's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 6010 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus SH-21 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?

No, it is not.

Sure, there are many ways around (3d party hoods, rubber hoods, your palm, etc.) but generally thinking and truthfully speaking, this is rotten practice to sell hoods separately and for more than unfair price.
And notions that others do the same does not change the matter.
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
No hood with the Pany 100-300mm
In reply to s_grins, Aug 5, 2012

I ordered the Panasonic 100-300 from Samys today. I believe it does not come with a hood or bag.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
Re: No hood with the Pany 100-300mm
In reply to billbourd, Aug 5, 2012

I do not have this lens, so can't comment. Anyway, it does not make justification for Oly
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,747Gear list
Like?

billbourd wrote:

I ordered the Panasonic 100-300 from Samys today. I believe it does not come with a hood or bag.

No hood on a super-tele? The Panny 45-200mm comes with a very deep hood.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Kristi Guin
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?

It should; mine did.

MrScorpio
Like?
Re: YES
In reply to to_markus, Aug 5, 2012

I have to admit though, that the hood for the 75 mm is of very good quality, but I still think it is tremendously over priced... After all it is a single piece of simply constructed metal.

to_markus wrote:

For mFT this seems to get normal: Olympus dropped to deliver any lenshood or -bag with mFT products (even the EM-5 kit), but you still recieve hood and bag with every Panasonic lens, or with any Oly FT pro and toppro lens from their "better" past.

I remember they didn´t deliver all covers with mFT kits, I once got the E-PL1 double zoom kit: 14-42 with lens back cover replacement, 40-150 + MMF without hood, lens backcover or MMF frontcover > LR-2 €11 + LR-1 €10 + BC-1 €12 + LH-61D €30 + no LH for the old 14-42

Another ripoff are this unusabel frontcovers without inner grips, so you can´t get them off with the hood on the lens.

-- hide signature --
3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Lens hood: easy to solve

I don't (yet) have the 75mm, and I don't know what size is its filter ring.

But I do have the 45m. With a bit of scrounging on the net I located a collapsible rubber hood in the requisite 37mm thread. Cost less than $10, works perfectly, takes little space when collapsed, and can accommodate a filter if desired.

Have the same for the 20mm f/1.7, except easier to find 46mm version.

BTW, my rather old Leica lenses came with hoods, but the 90mm f/2,8 (still a useful lens with mFT), came with a collapsible rubber hood almost identical to the one I bought for the 45mm, except it's threaded for a 39mm ring.

I say, if good enough for a Leica lens, it's good enough for any lens.

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads