Instead of a A99, I'll get another A900/A850.

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions
jerome_munich
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
Instead of a A99, I'll get another A900/A850.
Aug 4, 2012

I have used an A900 for the past 3 years and found it very much to my liking. I also tried a NEX-7, to see whether I like the EVF, but I don't like it at all.

The next Sony full-frame will have an EVF and 24 mpix or 36 mpix, as in the Nikon D800. So I also tried the D800 to see whether the improvement is worth it for my uses. After two months, I find that the difference in resolution is not relevant for my uses and the difference in high iso not worth the move to Nikon. Processed with noise Ninja, the A900 gives results close to the one of the D800 up to iso 1600 and a bit better at iso 3200. Iso 6400 and above is too poor for my taste on either camera. Besides, the A900 has stabilization on all lenses, and I find that invaluable. I also prefer the Sony lenses.

So my decision is to stay with Sony and not move to Nikon. And since I don't want an EVF, to keep the A900 and not get an A99.

Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?
Re: Instead of a A99, I'll get another A900/A850.
In reply to jerome_munich, Aug 4, 2012

jerome_munich wrote:

I have used an A900 for the past 3 years and found it very much to my liking. I also tried a NEX-7, to see whether I like the EVF, but I don't like it at all.

The next Sony full-frame will have an EVF and 24 mpix or 36 mpix, as in the Nikon D800. So I also tried the D800 to see whether the improvement is worth it for my uses. After two months, I find that the difference in resolution is not relevant for my uses and the difference in high iso not worth the move to Nikon. Processed with noise Ninja, the A900 gives results close to the one of the D800 up to iso 1600 and a bit better at iso 3200. Iso 6400 and above is too poor for my taste on either camera. Besides, the A900 has stabilization on all lenses, and I find that invaluable. I also prefer the Sony lenses.

So my decision is to stay with Sony and not move to Nikon. And since I don't want an EVF, to keep the A900 and not get an A99.

It's people like you that are going to make my getting an A900 harder and more expensive than it has to be...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
two_stanley
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?

great...thanks for letting us know. i bet everyone was dying to to hear about your decision.

please keep us posted on the next items you plan to buy.

sye46
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?

is this suppose to be a follow up to that "I bought a A900 instead of the A99" thread that got deleted by dpreview?

we all know how this thread is going to end and you do as well since you posted in that thread... so why start it up again? good for you that you want the A900, do we really have to know? Is this thread suppose to be bait to begin the whole OVF vs EVF argument again?

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,471Gear list
Like?
I just finished the NYT and WSJ...

...but neither front page had this bulletin. Instead all I saw were articles about Syria, the murder trial in China, the Apple/Samsung trial, the Olympics... How does these news sources hope to retain readership by letting DPreview scoop this major news?

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,184Gear list
Like?
Been picked on recently? ...
In reply to Corkcampbell, Aug 4, 2012

Your response is neither kind nor necessary, and therefore uncivil. This is a Sony DSL forum, in case you hadn't noticed. The OP's post is not only on topic, but relevant to several discussion which have received quite a bit of attention recently.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Endos
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?

I'm going to do the same. Maybe in 10 years Sony has figured out how to match the current A900 OVF and then it will be worth the change.
--
Regards,
Juan

http://500px.com/endosphoto
http://www.endosphoto.com

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,471Gear list
Like?
Thank-you. (nt)
In reply to Kriekira, Aug 4, 2012

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,682
Like?
In reply to sye46, Aug 4, 2012

sye46 wrote:

is this suppose to be a follow up to that "I bought a A900 instead of the A99" thread that got deleted by dpreview?

I remember that thread and it seemed like reasonable debate on the subject.
Why did dpreview delete it?

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at http://www.dennismullen.com .

MarkSA
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?

sye46 wrote:

So, being the original initiator of the "A99 or A900? I just bought the A900" thread, I have to ask why DPReview censored/deleted a thread that had over 150 responses, had many respondents who agreed with me, and a very civil discussion!!

Censorship of opinion that Sony made a mistake going the EVF route on their top-end DSLR?

VERY POOR DPREVIEW!! You may not agree with what I have to say but censoring my opinion (and one shared by many Sony enthusiasts) is unacceptable behavior on your part!

(and just watch how quickly this thread gets deleted by the faceless "Big Brother/Dear Leader"!)

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,786
Like?

A very quick look at the DPR RAW comparison tool and it appears to me that at ISO1600, 3200, etc the D800 files show significantly more detail - so much so that you don't have to look long and hard to see the difference. That is not to say that the A900 + lenses isn't a better fit for you but I don't think your comparison is accurate.

jerome_munich
Like?
In reply to MarkSA, Aug 4, 2012

MarkSA wrote:

and just watch how quickly this thread gets deleted

So, that is the reason why I could not find it! I had not realized this was a possibility.

jerome_munich
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, Aug 4, 2012

Clayton1985 wrote:

A very quick look at the DPR RAW comparison tool and it appears to me that at ISO1600, 3200, etc the D800 files show significantly more detail - so much so that you don't have to look long and hard to see the difference. That is not to say that the A900 + lenses isn't a better fit for you but I don't think your comparison is accurate.

The DPR RAW comparison does not quite do justice to the A900, since it appears that the noise reduction is not switched off on the A900 and/or that the noise reduction applied is not as efficient as what I can get today on my computer. The A900 images are also less sharpened than the others.

DPR produced the A900 images 3 years ago. That is fine if you want to compare jpegs, since the jpeg engine of the A900 did not change. But taking the RAW files from the A900, switching off the built-in noise reduction and using today's software, I get better results than that.

lonewolf69
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,338
Like?

That is my EXACT sentiments... I really tried to like both the A77 and NEX7 but sorry the EVF holds no comparison to the OVF found in the A900. The EVF in A77/NEX 7 is very very nice with full electronics bells and whistle, and it does best the OVF in all of the other DSLR Sony bodies including the A700 (I own) but unfortunately, it doesn't compare to the OVF in the A900...

So, I'll be right there with you buying a used A900 instead of the A99... Lucas, you wanna "SELL" me back the A900 that you bought from me years ago?!???

(serioualy half joking/half serious)...

To all of the naysayers, I live less than 1 mile away from Berger Brothers on the North Shore of Long Island, NY and I was loaned the NEX 7 and A77 for a few days to play with them both, these were the FLOOR models so don't get upset about open BOX units... So I have a safe and valid comparison to judge the difference between OVF and EVF between the A900 and SLT bodies... To be fair, I will give a glance over to the A99 and see if the EVF has improved but if it's similar to the EVF found on both NEX 7 and A77 then I'll be shopping around for another A900...
--
-Alex

From the minds of Minolta to the imagination of Sony, Alpha, like no other.

http://www.pbase.com/lonewolf69

sye46
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?
Re: Been picked on recently? ...
In reply to Kriekira, Aug 4, 2012

Kriekira wrote:

Your response is neither kind nor necessary, and therefore uncivil. This is a Sony DSL forum, in case you hadn't noticed. The OP's post is not only on topic, but relevant to several discussion which have received quite a bit of attention recently.

The OVF vs EVF debate has been going on for over 2+ years.. The OVF users will not change their mind and EVF users are happy with it. Do you really think having ANOTHER thread will change anything?

This post is a bait post to start the war over again

Old Pirate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361
Like?

I have difficulty extending credibility to individuals who have a particular camera on loan in one forum and claim to own one in another.

If they can't keep up with that trivial fact then I am not surprised they can't see out of an EVF. Makes you wonder if any of their other claims are factual.

MarkSA
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to Old Pirate, Aug 4, 2012

Old Pirate wrote:

If they can't keep up with that trivial fact then I am not surprised they can't see out of an EVF. Makes you wonder if any of their other claims are factual.

Happy to post a picture of my new A900 with CZ lens attached if that will help...

With regards to the EVF vs the OVF, have you actually looked through both? How on earth can you claim that the EVF gives you a better view of the subject being photographed?? They are not even close to providing the same quality of image.

MartinMP
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?

Hello Jerome,

thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good luck with your cameras.

Kind Regards,
Martin

jerome_munich wrote:

dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,682
Like?

jerome_munich wrote:

DPR produced the A900 images 3 years ago. That is fine if you want to compare jpegs, since the jpeg engine of the A900 did not change. But taking the RAW files from the A900, switching off the built-in noise reduction and using today's software, I get better results than that.

I can't compare it to the Nikon but I do agree that the A900 has really evolved with the latest version of Photoshop ACR.

Cheers,
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at http://www.dennismullen.com .

jerome_munich
Like?
In reply to Old Pirate, Aug 4, 2012

Old Pirate wrote:

I have difficulty extending credibility to individuals who have a particular camera on loan in one forum and claim to own one in another.

A quick check on my flickr account (on my profile) should be sufficient to convince anyone that I have used the three cameras extensively (A900, D800, NEX-7).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads