D800 battery life is shocking, is this faulty or something please help?

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933
Like?
D800 battery life is shocking, is this faulty or something please help?
Aug 4, 2012

I've been really surprised at how terrible my D800 battery life is. I've not did any firm calculations but compared to the D700 I must be getting under half the shots. I'm aware movies and liveview will sap the power but I am really not doing much of that.

I have taken about 1,300 shots total (I must have charged about 10 times already, I just checked the D800 battery Info in the menu the age of the battery says 1 already (it starts at 0-4). Compare this to a D700 which I remember too about 20,000 shots for it to show this?

I have done a tiny bit of liveview today and shot about x3 15 sec movies and it says 75% remaining, 38 shots total.

What the heck? Am I expecting too much? I cannot believe this is normal, I'd expect alot more "D800 battery sucks" threads to appear? It's ruining an otherwise great camera for me right now.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 battery life is shocking, is this faulty or something please help?
In reply to primeshooter, Aug 4, 2012

In case you've missed a possible explanation to what you observe:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42186329
--
Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
primeshooter
Like?
In reply to TOF guy, Aug 4, 2012

TOF guy wrote:

In case you've missed a possible explanation to what you observe:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=42186329
--
Thierry

Thanks alot mate. Do you think this would work? It's really bad I mean I'm not one to complain about battery but it seems awful.

primeshooter
Like?
anyone else have this problem?

primeshooter wrote:

I've been really surprised at how terrible my D800 battery life is. I've not did any firm calculations but compared to the D700 I must be getting under half the shots. I'm aware movies and liveview will sap the power but I am really not doing much of that.

I have taken about 1,300 shots total (I must have charged about 10 times already, I just checked the D800 battery Info in the menu the age of the battery says 1 already (it starts at 0-4). Compare this to a D700 which I remember too about 20,000 shots for it to show this?

I have done a tiny bit of liveview today and shot about x3 15 sec movies and it says 75% remaining, 38 shots total.

What the heck? Am I expecting too much? I cannot believe this is normal, I'd expect alot more "D800 battery sucks" threads to appear? It's ruining an otherwise great camera for me right now.

GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?
Re: anyone else have this problem?

300 shots is about charger time for me. Actually, about the time the CF and SD card fill (around 250) is time for a battery change-out. Lots of stuff to run like AF, VR, screen, dual-card writing, menu edits, etc. I've had it fail just running through a FoCal focus check too. Luckily, I got a couple extra EN-EL15 batteries nearby that I can toss into it.

You may need to look into getting a battery grip at some point and a couple more batteries too. I thought I read somewhere where some Japanese regulatory outfit wouldn't let them put stronger battery pack into the thing (fire, airplane, something?).

Mack

rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to GMack, Aug 4, 2012

That's funny. I get about 450 - 500 (14 bit NEF lossless compressed). Very little chimping (I just look at the histogram briefly), no review, no movie, no Live View. All of the latter, Live View especially, takes the battery down fast.

Basically I can go on a moderate full shooting day without a battery change.

Unless the OP is doing something odd (a lot of LV or monitor review or something like that) it suggests a bad battery or confused camera. First thing I would do is get a second battery and see if the behavior was similar.

Then I'd quantify things a bit better - use a standard setup and get some real numbers. At present, it's hard to say if the camera / battery has an issue or the OP is just hard on the system.
--
RG
http://www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
primeshooter
Like?
In reply to rgolub, Aug 4, 2012

rgolub wrote:

That's funny. I get about 450 - 500 (14 bit NEF lossless compressed). Very little chimping (I just look at the histogram briefly), no review, no movie, no Live View. All of the latter, Live View especially, takes the battery down fast.

Basically I can go on a moderate full shooting day without a battery change.

Unless the OP is doing something odd (a lot of LV or monitor review or something like that) it suggests a bad battery or confused camera. First thing I would do is get a second battery and see if the behavior was similar.

Then I'd quantify things a bit better - use a standard setup and get some real numbers. At present, it's hard to say if the camera / battery has an issue or the OP is just hard on the system.
--
RG
http://www.lostrange.com

Hey. Tell me why my battery is already at 1 in terms of age! With like 1300 shots! Where is yours out of interest? Can any of you check your menu in the battery info tab for me? What you are saying is LIKELY what I am getting, but you view this as acceptable I guess? I have image review on too, to check critical focus in portraits and landscapes, so it cannot really be avoided. I'm not hard on the system. I have no lenses with VR, use mixture of AF and MF but mostly AF. Fixed lenses mainly, AF-S mode etc with image review, shooting mainly in RAW. The battery life may just be crap then. Like I said if you get 400, that's likely what I am getting but I will check closer in the coming weeks.

Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?

Shutter count says nearly 6000 and there is no movement on the battery condition indicator, I shoot stills and only check the preview immediately after taking the shot, no live view or movies, I have just checked the camera and it is showing 41% with 440 shots taken.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?

It's worth a shot, as it cost nothing to try. But of course that may not be the issue.
--
Thierry

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
The standards
In reply to Art Jacks, Aug 4, 2012

You have to wonder who comes with these tests as there are quite panful to reproduce at home (on purpose?):

CIPA standard on D800:
One EN-EL15 battery : Approximately 900 shots

Measured at 23 °C/73.4 °F (±2 °C/3.6 °F) with an AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens under the following test conditions: lens cycled from infinity to minimum range and one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 s; flash fired once every other shot. Live view not used.

Nikon standard on D800:
One EN-EL15 battery : Approximately 2,400 shots

Measured at 20 °C/68 °F with an AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens under the following test conditions: vibration reduction off, image quality set to JPEG normal, image size set to L (large), shutter speed 1/250 s, shutter-release button pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times; six shots are then taken in succession and monitor turned on for five seconds and then turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters have turned off.

Additional info from Nikon:
The following can reduce battery life:
• Using the monitor
• Keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway
• Repeated autofocus operations
• Taking NEF (RAW) or TIFF (RGB) photographs
• Slow shutter speeds
• Using an optional WT-4 wireless transmitter
• Using the optional GP-1 GPS unit
• Using VR (vibration reduction) mode with VR lenses
To ensure that you get the most from rechargeable Nikon EN-EL15
batteries:
• Keep the battery contacts clean. Soiled contacts can reduce
battery performance.
• Use batteries immediately after charging. Batteries will lose their
charge if left unused."

The point about clean contact should be checked - never know and easily done.
--
Thierry

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,299Gear list
Like?
Poor battery life has been reported by many

And shooting videos seems to suck it dry the fastest.

Lots of posts state the same.
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Lars erik Nes
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to Art Jacks, Aug 4, 2012

45% and 610 images is my count. Dual writing of both nef and jpg. no movie

-- hide signature --

Thanks

Lars
It's all Nikon

Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,335
Like?
I was unhappy, until I watched the meter

I was shooting with my D800e and thinking, man, the battery life is abysmal. Glad I bought two batteries. Then I saw others with shot counts in the way over 800 range, and I thought... hmmm... I wonder if there's something that's misleading me. There was.

On my D700, the battery indicator stayed at full for a long, long time. When it dropped one segment, it wasn't long until it was down to a single segment. This is with new batteries, bought two new ones earlier in the year because my others were 3 years old and showing it. Because of experience where I thought I had half a battery left because I had half the bars - and got a bad surprise - I treated the D700 indicator dropping one segment as a warning, and a second segment as a change indicator. Three segment, change immediately.

The D800e seems to be more linear. I've shot for a few hundred shots before it goes down one segment. Takes another few hundred before it goes down a second segment. And another few hundred for a third segment. I haven't shot the battery to exhaustion yet, but based on a couple hundred shots a segment, for each of three segments, I should get well over 800-900 before I get to one bar.

That's about the same as the D700 - on a 1200 shot average day when I'm doing travel, I usually would change batteries going into the evening, and by end of shooting, I'd be down a bar on the second. I start each day with two fresh batteries per camera.

I think the D800 battery life indicator is pretty linear, and of all the previous Nikon DSLRs I've had, they've NEVER been linear. Neither are my m4/3 bodies - takes a long time for the first bar to fall, but the trip to dead is a lot faster. I've come to the conclusion that battery life on the D800e isn't much different, but the battery meter is.

And while I don't shoot video with my DSLRs, my experience with m4/3 is probably indicative. If I shoot only stills, I can shoot almost all day with one battery. If I shoot some video mixed in - 20 to 30 second lead-in clips, maybe 10-15 of them - I'll go through two, maybe three batteries in a day.

Bruce sawle
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
Re: I was unhappy, until I watched the meter
In reply to Ednaz, Aug 4, 2012

Just shot over 1200 shots on one battery with plenty of chimping. Still had 1/4 battery left.

Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: I was unhappy, until I watched the meter
In reply to Bruce sawle, Aug 4, 2012

-- hide signature --

Guess what..., with the camera on the left I can do about 3000 14bit compressed raws with SB-800 used in "fill in"... With the camera on the right, it's well over 5000... I don't see how can people complain about the battery life of their camera when they can solve the matter at a silly cost without ever having to replace the battery... Isn't it obvious that when using the camera without a pack it's with knowledge of the user on the limitations and that the designer has taken that in mind, as well as the solution?

Guess how many shots my 27 yrs old straps can do... (I have 6 of them, 4x black, 2x wine...)

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr

primeshooter
Like?
Battery age
In reply to Theodoros Fotometria, Aug 5, 2012

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

-- hide signature --

Guess what..., with the camera on the left I can do about 3000 14bit compressed raws with SB-800 used in "fill in"... With the camera on the right, it's well over 5000... I don't see how can people complain about the battery life of their camera when they can solve the matter at a silly cost without ever having to replace the battery... Isn't it obvious that when using the camera without a pack it's with knowledge of the user on the limitations and that the designer has taken that in mind, as well as the solution?

Guess how many shots my 27 yrs old straps can do... (I have 6 of them, 4x black, 2x wine...)

Theodoros

I think I have right to complain. My battery life indicator has moved into the "1" stage and I've around 1300 shots on the shutter!

primeshooter
Like?
Really really weird battery readout?
In reply to primeshooter, Aug 5, 2012

Okay, definitely something very strange happening here. I've got the battery down to 15 percent. (where I have usually charged as it has 1 bar at that point - never looked in the menu just noticed the one bar and thought "charge time").

What I am noticing though is that the last 15 percent is taking an eternity to drain this last amount. I've been shooting video for about 20 mins here and still got 2 percent. So it seems the battery might come back to life after a few full discharges. Still a little concerned by this age 1 battery thing though? I'm now down at 1 percent and have liveview on - it's not draining and still going it's been on 1% for 5 minutes now with liveview on and the LCD lit up full...keep checking it and it's still on 1% what is going on here!

In the manual it says if the symbol "CAL" appears you can press calibrate to fix the battery. I feel I almost need this but it won't appear LOL. Typical!

Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: Battery age

primeshooter wrote:

I think I have right to complain. My battery life indicator has moved into the "1" stage and I've around 1300 shots on the shutter!

-- hide signature --

Your battery is no where near its "standard" performance yet... not to mention its "best performance"...... that is if you have a D800 battery....

Theodoros

primeshooter
Like?
Re: Battery age
In reply to Theodoros Fotometria, Aug 5, 2012

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Your battery is no where near its "standard" performance yet... not to mention its "best performance"...... that is if you have a D800 battery....

Theodoros

So why is it telling me the battery is already getting quite advanced in age for 1300 shots, it's moved to position one. Still testing it, see post below.

primeshooter
Like?
Battery now flashing on last bar

It took around a total of 20 minutes of liveview recording to take all the charge off the last 1%. Calibration issue? Do you think it's fixable by doing this a few times?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads