RX100s everywhere

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,723Gear list
Like?
RX100s everywhere
Aug 3, 2012

Just cruising through some of the foums and noticed how you guys are really, REALLY into this RX100. That's almost ALL that's being discussed in this forum.

I'm guessing that this is the GREATEST camera that you Sony folks have seen in a while. Don't recall seeing anything this exciting in any forums for a while. Is this like, free, to boot?
No need to add any comment here. Just thought it interesting, that's all.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dan1964
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Re: RX100s everywhere
In reply to BobT, Aug 3, 2012

First post...I just bought one at Best Buy...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005
Like?
In reply to BobT, Aug 3, 2012

BobT wrote:

I'm guessing that this is the GREATEST camera that you Sony folks have seen in a while. Don't recall seeing anything this exciting in any forums for a while. Is this like, free, to boot?

Not Sony folks.

Plenty of shooters of other brands of picking this up and as a result posting in this forum now. Case in point:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&thread=42175469
How many new member to this forum because of RX100? (Myself included)

It is far from free. But there are plenty of people (regardless of brand loyalty) who wants the best camera one can slip in their pockets, and are willing to pay a premium for it.

Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,043Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Aug 4, 2012

I think the "fanboys" (and fangirls) affiliated with particular camera brand are only a small minority now. People want the camera that's best for them, and in today's highly volatile camera market, that can't be relied to always come from the same brand. I've owned several Canon P&Ss, a Fuji F31fd (for a while, the best low light P&S), a Samsung EX1; I have a Panasonic GX1 with several Panasonic lenses and one Olympus, and now I have an RX100, which is undoubtedly the best truly pocketable camera out there. If any other manufacturer came out with a camera that was as small, had as many features, and IQ superior to the RX100, i would buy it without hesitation. But I don't see that happening in the near future.

Bob

cllcanada
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Deutsch, Aug 4, 2012

Seems Sony sensors are going across a few brands...it will be very interesting to see what the programmers and lens makers can do with them...

Stay tuned...

cllcanada's gear list:cllcanada's gear list
Sony RX100
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan1964, Aug 4, 2012

Welcome Dan, Good luck with the camera.

There are a lot of RX 100 threads but it will die down.

Antoine Palade
Contributing MemberPosts: 589
Like?

Got an RX100. But not a Sony fanboy, actually, never really was into Sony cameras. I come from Nikon and, more recently, Fuji background.

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to trale, Aug 4, 2012

Nikon FX DSLR user. RX-100 arrives tomorrow (Saturday). Wanted point and shoot camera that takes great pictures when I don't want to lug my DSLRs. It was the NY Times article that convinced me. Brand loyality has nothing to do with a fixed lens camera. I have over $40,000 tied up in Nikon gear, so it's obvious I'm not going to even consider a Sony DSLR. I've been mostly Canon for fixed lens cameras, this is my first Sony.

trale wrote:

BobT wrote:

Not Sony folks.

Plenty of shooters of other brands of picking this up and as a result posting in this forum now. Case in point:

It is far from free. But there are plenty of people (regardless of brand loyalty) who wants the best camera one can slip in their pockets, and are willing to pay a premium for it.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Dianoda
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to brianric, Aug 4, 2012

Similar background for me as well, $8000 tied up in my DSLR system, but the RX100 is for when I don't want to lug all that awesome, but heavy, glass around.

brianric wrote:

Nikon FX DSLR user. RX-100 arrives tomorrow (Saturday). Wanted point and shoot camera that takes great pictures when I don't want to lug my DSLRs. It was the NY Times article that convinced me. Brand loyality has nothing to do with a fixed lens camera. I have over $40,000 tied up in Nikon gear, so it's obvious I'm not going to even consider a Sony DSLR. I've been mostly Canon for fixed lens cameras, this is my first Sony.

trale wrote:

BobT wrote:

Not Sony folks.

peacefrog33756
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

Receiving my RX100 via "Big Brown" later today. Excited as all get out to receive it! Gave up my old E-PL1 and the Panny 20mm f/1.7 to afford this venture. Even the E-PL1's smallish size became a hassle for me on my daily walks since it required at least a small bag. I am looking forward to the pocket-sized RX100 to provide comparable and beyond photos. Had a TX20 which I gave away to a relative, so my expectations for the RX100 are high based on the accolades here and the sample photos.

The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
No fanboy here
In reply to Antoine Palade, Aug 4, 2012

Antoine Palade wrote:

Got an RX100. But not a Sony fanboy,

I also got the RX100, and I hate Sony with a passion. Their corporate arrogance, indifference to laws (rootkit fisasco), & refusal to compromise for the greater good (they are one of the primary backers of the RIAA/MPAA style of enforcement) know no bounds.

But I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. But you can be assured that at some point, other manufacturers will have similar or superior offerings. All else being equal, I will always pick a non-Sony product.

Philip Scott
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Awesome Cam
In reply to The Skipper, Aug 6, 2012

I shoot Nikon D700 and D300 bodies when I shoot for assignment. I have a number of P&S cameras like the Canon S95 and others, but I am blown away by the RX-100...mostly by the high ISO/low noise performance.

But the DR features rock, the displays are well done and the fact that it includes a 2 axis digital l evel for left/right and up/down is awesome. (In A mode you press the top of the 4-way button to toggle thru displays and you'll see the level).

Loving it. Hope ACR and LR add the RX-100 RAW format soon.
--
http://philscottphotography.com
http://pwscott.smugmug.com

Philip Scott's gear list:Philip Scott's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Sony RX100 Samsung NX300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX30 +6 more
ebsilon
Contributing MemberPosts: 572
Like?
Re: Awesome Cam
In reply to Philip Scott, Aug 6, 2012

Philip Scott wrote:

I shoot Nikon D700 and D300 bodies when I shoot for assignment. I have a number of P&S cameras like the Canon S95 and others, but I am blown away by the RX-100...mostly by the high ISO/low noise performance.

But the DR features rock, the displays are well done and the fact that it includes a 2 axis digital l evel for left/right and up/down is awesome. (In A mode you press the top of the 4-way button to toggle thru displays and you'll see the level).

Loving it. Hope ACR and LR add the RX-100 RAW format soon.
--
http://philscottphotography.com
http://pwscott.smugmug.com

Since you are a nikon user, did you ever consider the nikon 1 system? Looking for a second cam to my D7000 myself, consdering RX100, m4/3 or Nikon 1.

-- hide signature --

------- Eirik ----------

Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
In reply to trale, Aug 6, 2012

It's a great camera, expert reviewers and customers agree.

trale wrote:

BobT wrote:

Not Sony folks.

Chippy99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,358Gear list
Like?
It's mould-breaking, that's why
In reply to BobT, Aug 6, 2012

We've had all sorts of technical advances in digital cameras, haven't we.

But usually, there's something missing or some aspect which is disappointing or which spoils the whole experience. Whether it's slow handling or focusing, or maybe that's good but the high iso performance is poor. Or maybe a new camera has great high iso, but lousy movies or lack of control of movies. Maybe the screen is rubbish. Or perhaps the lens is soft, or the UI is horrible. Some cameras have lots of flaws!

But I have NEVER come across a camera that moves the technology forward like the RX100 does, and gets SO MUCH right.

Clean images at low ISO - check
Good high ISO - check
Plenty of pixels - check
Decent in camera JPEG - check
Great optics - check
Fast focusing - check
Good (and customisable) Ui - check
Great movie mode with full control - check
Small size - check
Fast handling - check

I really struggle to find fault with it to be honest. I have never before owned a camera of which that could be said.

Chippy99's gear list:Chippy99's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Coolpix8700
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Robert Deutsch, Aug 6, 2012

Can you share your feelings about the DMC GX1 (with powerzoom) and the RX100? What would you keep should you choose only one?
--
Coolpix8700

snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: It's mould-breaking, that's why
In reply to Chippy99, Aug 6, 2012

Great to hear!

Chippy99 wrote:

But usually, there's something missing or some aspect which is disappointing or which spoils the whole experience. Whether it's slow handling or focusing, or maybe that's good but the high iso performance is poor. Or maybe a new camera has great high iso, but lousy movies or lack of control of movies. Maybe the screen is rubbish. Or perhaps the lens is soft, or the UI is horrible. Some cameras have lots of flaws!

But I have NEVER come across a camera that moves the technology forward like the RX100 does, and gets SO MUCH right.

Good high ISO - check
Plenty of pixels - check
Great optics - check
Fast focusing - check
Small size - check
Fast handling - check

I really struggle to find fault with it to be honest. I have never before owned a camera of which that could be said.

guyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Re: Awesome Cam
In reply to ebsilon, Aug 6, 2012

No need to consider Nikon 1, unless you want specialized tele-lenses or need to track fast moving subjects. See:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&thread=42190144

Regarding M43 they have nothing as small but if you want a bigger camera then the OMD comes to mind.

It looks like all compact cameras have become obsolete - they will still sell based on lower price but not on desirability.

Simply put the RX100 has no competition and will probably stay that way for quite a while.

ebsilon wrote:

... did you ever consider the nikon 1 system? Looking for a second cam to my D7000 myself, consdering RX100, m4/3 or Nikon 1.

-- hide signature --

------- Eirik ----------

Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

aerorail
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
politics aside
In reply to The Skipper, Aug 6, 2012

The Skipper wrote:

Antoine Palade wrote:

Got an RX100. But not a Sony fanboy,

I also got the RX100, and I hate Sony with a passion. Their corporate arrogance, indifference to laws (rootkit fisasco), & refusal to compromise for the greater good (they are one of the primary backers of the RIAA/MPAA style of enforcement) know no bounds.

But I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. But you can be assured that at some point, other manufacturers will have similar or superior offerings. All else being equal, I will always pick a non-Sony product.

politics aside if the product is good i'll buy it.

as long as they aren't forcing me or enticing me with their views whomever it may be

aerorail's gear list:aerorail's gear list
RX100 III
aerorail
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: It's mould-breaking, that's why
In reply to Chippy99, Aug 6, 2012

i have been confident the technology has been there for years and the manufacturers have been holding back until now with sony

Chippy99 wrote:

Good high ISO - check
Plenty of pixels - check
Great optics - check
Fast focusing - check
Small size - check
Fast handling - check

aerorail's gear list:aerorail's gear list
RX100 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads