T2i + 55-250 Hummingbird

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions
mbrowne
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?
T2i + 55-250 Hummingbird
Aug 2, 2012

Hummers don't seem as numerous this year, but I caught this one yesterday at a butterfly bush. T2i, 55-250IS, ISO 800, f/8, 1/2000:

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,488Gear list
Like?
Re: T2i + 55-250 Hummingbird
In reply to mbrowne, Aug 2, 2012

Great capture!
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zigi_S
Senior MemberPosts: 2,033
Like?

Good catch. Sadly, we europeans can't shoot these pretty birds.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeegee/

Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?

mbrowne: Excellent effort; well done! Where were you? I'm sorry to hear hummers aren't abundant this year; I'm about to head to NM and I'm hoping to see lots of them. zigi_S: Of course Europeans are allowed to take photos of hummingbirds! But you have to come to the New World to see them in the wild.

FF

totleytom
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?

Nice picture.

I'm not seeing any fewer hummingbirds in Yorkshire this year, in fact I'm seeing precisely as many as I saw last year.

None.

canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532
Like?

Now how could you get such a beautiful capture with such a low-end lens?
I see so much poor stuff from those with the Big Lenses and Big cameras!

Nice work; thanks for sharing

happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
In reply to canuck dave, Aug 2, 2012

Re: canuck dave. my sentiments exactly. lee uk

lapage
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

Very nice and very jealous. I've never been successful trying photograph these little guys.

lapage's gear list:lapage's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,476Gear list
Like?

Great shot!

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
karl mohr
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
In reply to photosen, Aug 2, 2012

I wish I could say that was my capture. You must have managed to get pretty close somehow. Great job!

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
L.Cline
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
In reply to karl mohr, Aug 2, 2012

Wow! Nice shot! Just goes to show you it's more the photographer than the equipment! ( I've seen lots of great results with this so-called "low end" lens from great photographers ) Good job! How close were you to it?

mbrowne
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Aug 3, 2012

Olga Johnson wrote:

Great capture!

Hey, Olga. Thanks! I like to wait for their wings to be forward like that then take the shot

AvyMan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227
Like?
Sweet shot
In reply to mbrowne, Aug 3, 2012

One of the finest hummer shots I've seen Nice job!

What metering mode did you use--evaluative, center weighted average, etc.?

Did you shoot this in RAW, and was there much work in post for noise? I ask because it's pretty 'smooth' for ISO 800. If there wasn't much to deal with the T2i handles it really well with good lighting like this.

Again, great photo. Blow this one up and hang it on the wall.

Nick
--
photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --

TC63
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to L.Cline, Aug 3, 2012

1st off GREAT shot...

Lcline, I couldn't agree with you more on the low end lens response as I've seen this lens perform excellent time after time and have seen really poor photos from L series lenses so this DOES prove the fact of it's who is holding the camera and not what gear one is holding

I would love to hear how you got the shot such as raw etc but getting the shot sharp is another story . I have feeders all around my deck and Bee Balm all over my yard and the hummers that do come are return visitors and have a lot of trust in me because they come within a couple of feet from me all the time to investigate.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?
In reply to mbrowne, Aug 3, 2012

Awesome shot!

I've seen a lot of shots of hummers at feeders but this is the first good shot that I've seen of one feeding at a flower. Way to go!

Congrats!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
mbrowne
Like?
In reply to canuck dave, Aug 3, 2012

canuck dave wrote:

Now how could you get such a beautiful capture with such a low-end lens?
I see so much poor stuff from those with the Big Lenses and Big cameras!

Nice work; thanks for sharing

I'm blessed out here with pretty steady lighting conditions. And yeah, I really don't ever think about low-end or any end I'm boggled at the people who think they should upgrade the "kit lens" before they even own the camera :/

mbrowne
Like?
In reply to lapage, Aug 4, 2012

lapage wrote:

Very nice and very jealous. I've never been successful trying photograph these little guys.

Thanks! It makes it easier if they come to you I do my morning coffee ritual in my backyard, and shoot what comes through. These guys are usually around, though not as many this year.

PentPal
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, Aug 4, 2012

Exceptional Hummingbird capture!! I too love my nifty 250. lol I wondered if you used a flash for this photo? Again Kudos on a brilliant capture!

mbrowne
Like?
In reply to L.Cline, Aug 4, 2012

L.Cline wrote:

Wow! Nice shot! Just goes to show you it's more the photographer than the equipment! ( I've seen lots of great results with this so-called "low end" lens from great photographers ) Good job! How close were you to it?

Thanks! They're about 8-9' away at that spot. I just sit there having my morning coffee and they come in to the flowers for their breakfast

mbrowne
Like?
In reply to TC63, Aug 4, 2012

TC63 wrote:

1st off GREAT shot...

Thanks!

I would love to hear how you got the shot such as raw etc but getting the shot sharp is another story . I have feeders all around my deck and Bee Balm all over my yard and the hummers that do come are return visitors and have a lot of trust in me because they come within a couple of feet from me all the time to investigate.

I have way more misses than hits - they're just waaay too quick. I tried AI servo focus for a while, but went back to one-shot. It helps to know where they're going to be or where you can get a shot, and sort of prefocus and stay ready on that small area. Even at those shutter speeds, I use IS. I'm about 8-9' away usually. I always shoot RAW.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads