Has anyone used the NikkorAF 28-85 3.5-4.5 on a D800?

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions
ml16
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Has anyone used the NikkorAF 28-85 3.5-4.5 on a D800?
Aug 2, 2012

I have to admit that I do not know much about this lens, but have an opportunity to pick one up. As an older lens, reviews are a little hard to come by. Curious if this older lens will perform well on the D800.

TIA.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,806Gear list
Like?
Re: Has anyone used the NikkorAF 28-85 3.5-4.5 on a D800?
In reply to ml16, Aug 2, 2012

It performs.

I would not qualify it as well, but that is a subjective term.

I have that lens and use it on the D700, but on my D800 the lens does not sparkle like a recommended lens will on the D800. Then again, it is a $300 lens used.

It is reasonably sharp, but does not have much vibrancy or microcontrast is probably a better term. Colors look just a little faded. I can't quite put my finger on it.

If you are just looking for a walk about lens that you can take snaps with, it is a good lens. If you need something that can get the most out of the D800, then limber up your credit card.

This is straight out of the camera with no sharpening or post processing...

D800 - 65mm f/4.5 1/2000 second ISO 200

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ml16
Like?
In reply to user_name, Aug 2, 2012

user_name wrote:

It performs.

I would not qualify it as well, but that is a subjective term.

I have that lens and use it on the D700, but on my D800 the lens does not sparkle like a recommended lens will on the D800. Then again, it is a $300 lens used.

It is reasonably sharp, but does not have much vibrancy or microcontrast is probably a better term. Colors look just a little faded. I can't quite put my finger on it.

If you are just looking for a walk about lens that you can take snaps with, it is a good lens. If you need something that can get the most out of the D800, then limber up your credit card.

This is straight out of the camera with no sharpening or post processing...

D800 - 65mm f/4.5 1/2000 second ISO 200

Thanks for your thoughts on the lens. The only review I could find on this lens was from KR (and he loved it! - at least he did in 2004). I agree with you about the color rendition from the lens. It does not look very vibrant. I guess I was hoping for the dream...a sub $300 super sharp/vibrant walk around lens

Again, thanks for the picture and your thoughts!

Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348Gear list
Like?

http://www.bythom.com/2485lens.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm

I use one on my D700 - what can I say? - got it for $250 "buy-it-now" on EBay.

It is certainly capable of returning terrific shots, but that always has a lot more to do with skill than gear ...

I rented the 24-120vr a few weekends ago from Lens Rentals - my conclusion? It's not worth the extra $1000. Can't really spot the differences if any in optical performance over the overlapping ranges, and this lens is really "a lot" smaller and lighter which is part of the point. I have been wondering about the new version with VR, but I see particularly awful looking OOF behavior in the samples online so far so, again, why would I spend another $600 (just to get VR ??)

I actually think it's either this el-cheapo for me, or jump all the way up to the 24-70 which just really has a special "look" that I can actually spot (I think) in the files I see online ....

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
ml16
Like?
In reply to Fred Mueller, Aug 2, 2012

Fred Mueller wrote:

http://www.bythom.com/2485lens.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm

I use one on my D700 - what can I say? - got it for $250 "buy-it-now" on EBay.

It is certainly capable of returning terrific shots, but that always has a lot more to do with skill than gear ...

I rented the 24-120vr a few weekends ago from Lens Rentals - my conclusion? It's not worth the extra $1000. Can't really spot the differences if any in optical performance over the overlapping ranges, and this lens is really "a lot" smaller and lighter which is part of the point. I have been wondering about the new version with VR, but I see particularly awful looking OOF behavior in the samples online so far so, again, why would I spend another $600 (just to get VR ??)

I actually think it's either this el-cheapo for me, or jump all the way up to the 24-70 which just really has a special "look" that I can actually spot (I think) in the files I see online ....

I think we are talking about 2 different lenses. The one you are referencing is 24-85. The lens that I have the opportunity to pick up is the 28-85 (out of production since 1999). The 24-85 sounds like a good interim step while I save up for a 24-70. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,806Gear list
Like?

I use a simple 50mm f/1.8D as a walk around lens.

It is light, tack sharp, and fast focus. Also, the cost is about $110 - NEW.

Best bargain in glass for the D800.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348Gear list
Like?

opps! yes 28-85 - sorry ...

I also have an old 28-105 D (my cost $125, has a really decent macro function)) and even an old 28-70 D (my cost $80)

The truth is you can do perfectly good photography with these old lenses no matter what body you put them on, and they are so cheap, you can just pick them up almost for amusement factor ... I guess I have a bad habit that way ...

I think you and I are in the same boat - "saving" for the 24-70

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
EricSS
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to user_name, Aug 3, 2012

I have been using my old 28-85mm f3.5-85mm on my D800 and am really pleased with it.

I originally bought the lens in the late 1980's with my Nikon F4 but had not made much use of it since then until now. It certainly didn't seem great on my D300.

However, with the d800 I have found the 28-85 to be astoundingly sharp especially when closed down to f8 or f11 - and I am supremely happy with it particularly for studio use when I can use it in this manner. In many instances it seems almost as good as my 50mm f1.8D in this respect.

However I do agree with that it can lack sparkle and microcontrast in day to day use outside. It's also not great with flare. However, I find that i can deal with these with a few adjustments in Aperture or DXO.

I also recently bought a second hand 24-85 f3.5-4.5 (because I wanted the extra bit of wide angle and also something lighter for everyday use ). Doing a direct comparison - for example photographing newspapers stuck on a wall - I find the 28-85 to be significantly sharper corner to corner right the way through the range. (I am not sure whether it is just my lens, but I found 24-85 to be really soft at the edges / left hand side wide open around the 50mm range)

But neither of these lenses compares with 24-70 which i hired for an assignment - this I found to be way ahead of both other zooms in terms of corner to corner sharpness and contrast, even wide open. I guess you get what you pay for!

I am happy to provide some photographs if anyone wants some examples

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads